Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Removing Sofa/Hide-a-bed

We are wanting to remove our original sofa/hide-a-bed and replace it with a Jack Knife sofa/bed. Has anyone on here done this on a TradeWinds. If so will it fit through the door? How did you get it free from the slide?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #2

On my 05 Dolphin there were six bolts through the slide bottom to anchor the sofa
. I removed those and used a Sawsall to cut the sofa into 3 peices, went right out the door. Bit messy but worked. About 45 min start to finish.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
What did you replace it with? And did it fit through the door?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sofa Bed

We tossed the mattress out, removed the metal frame which fit out the door, then cut the rest up in small pieces with my sawsall.
Replaced it with a folding bed from IKEA It folds up to a comfortable couch and provides room for a small end table.
Fits on the slide. It is comfortable to sleep on too.
LYCKSELE LÖVÅS
Sleeper sofa, Vallarum cerise
$279.00
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C1v1leng View Post
We tossed the mattress out, removed the metal frame which fit out the door, then cut the rest up in small pieces with my sawsall.
Replaced it with a folding bed from IKEA It folds up to a comfortable couch and provides room for a small end table.
Fits on the slide. It is comfortable to sleep on too.
LYCKSELE LÖVÅS
Sleeper sofa, Vallarum cerise
$279.00
How did you anchor it in place??
Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

I replaced the sofa with 2 leather swivel recliners. $350 EA on Amazon. Assy inside coach allowed easy entry. Assembly was only 6 bolts. Color same as Captain Chairs. Will use old slide bolts to secure them maybe. Now slide floor holes sealed with Durobond tape. Looks great and very comfortable.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post
I replaced the sofa with 2 leather swivel recliners. $350 EA on Amazon. Assy inside coach allowed easy entry. Assembly was only 6 bolts. Color same as Captain Chairs. Will use old slide bolts to secure them maybe. Now slide floor holes sealed with Durobond tape. Looks great and very comfortable.
we did this as well, but after unbolting the couch/bed, we just opened it up and it went thru door easily. We then got a couple of the Euro recliners from Costco and a small side table. We put the two recliners together side by side plus the recliner footstools for traveling...so they aren't bolted down...but fit snugly so no movement. used a really sticky tape on the underside of the slide to cover the old bolt holes.
then sold the old couch!

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I used some pipe strap anchors along the back to tie it down. I added two angle brackets in the front to hold it down. Rolls out fine, but it won’t stow with the sheets and blankets on it as the mattress is up against the wall when folded. DW says I need a re-design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E05E100-9D7C-4388-913A-F2F7B20E35B8.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	249502  
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #9

We just replaced our sofa bed with a 68" jack knife and it is perfect. We built a frame and anchored that to the slide out floor. Now it is easy to open and sleeps teo kids great.
jnjmenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sofa bed and air mattress- How is it deployed?

We have the 2008 National Tropical 33' DP ans there are references to the Fold out sofa bed with air mattress and a B&W picture showing a huge bed sitting on a ballroom sized floor. I can't get the couch to open up at all though. Does anyone know how?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #11

Replaced sofa

I wanted to sell my sofa so we did not cut it apart. Took the matresss out. Unbolted it from the floor then unbolted the arm rests from the frame. It was a tight fit but it went out the door. Took about an hour to figure it out remove it and reassembled