Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the look, I have always liked anything but gold look. A lot the boats I ran had real gold and when it wore off you had to go them re-plaited.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
I took all of mine off and painted them a bronze brown color with hammered paint and primer all in one. $7.00 at HD. Did all the hinges also.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
This is beatiful...exactly what I'd like to do to mine. But it looks like a lot of work and a lot of $. I'll add it to my wish list. Thanks for the inspiration.
SeaViewCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #46

2000 redue

I know I'm late on this but very impressed and motivated by your renovation—beautiful!
Just purchased a 1998 Sea View 8310 which looks almost the same with identical floor plan. Pulled all the carpet and bought wood floor. Getting ready to install myself, but wasn't sure how to get to the carpet under the slide out. Thanks for pics and advice.
jmr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr123 View Post
I know I'm late on this but very impressed and motivated by your renovation—beautiful!
Just purchased a 1998 Sea View 8310 which looks almost the same with identical floor plan. Pulled all the carpet and bought wood floor. Getting ready to install myself, but wasn't sure how to get to the carpet under the slide out. Thanks for pics and advice.
Be sure to remove the dinette bench seats. In order to remove the drawers you lift up the floor of the drawer to expose the screws for the glides holding it in. remove the screws and then the drawers. When all that is out you will see two white nylon blocks screwed to the floor. I removed them and then just cut the carpet back as far as i could under the slide. After putting the wood down reinstall the white blocks for the slide to glide on. The only part that will show is in the center of the dinette booth and that is why I installed the brown rubber trim piece. Good luck on your project and post some pics as you go.
jclarkfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #48

I really hope the owner of this thread is still here.

I want to do the same to mine. Same year and model. I was really wondering how the slides worked on ours, I see no rollers but as I understand it there are blocks with vinyl on top on the floor to make it slide.

Questions:
1) how did you get the floor instated under the kitchen counter?
2) if I install laminate, these blocks will not be tall enough and there will be a big gap between the floor and slide. I could lift the blocks with wood but I assume there will be air entering from that bigger gap.

Nice work!
Ericdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Your work is beautiful, I would like to do mine the same way, have some questions:

What carpet is left, is it new, or what was already in the coach?

I have heard that it is necessary to take the slide out to get under it. Is that true? How do you get the old carpet out from under the slide? How do you get the new flooring under the slide?

What kind of flooring is it? Is it vinyl tile, Pergo, etc.?
01breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdes View Post

I want to do the same to mine. Same year and model. I was really wondering how the slides worked on ours, I see no rollers but as I understand it there are blocks with vinyl on top on the floor to make it slide.

Questions:
2) if I install laminate, these blocks will not be tall enough and there will be a big gap between the floor and slide. I could lift the blocks with wood but I assume there will be air entering from that bigger gap.

Nice work!
The OP may still be around. However, he hasn't posted anything since 3/2013.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #51

sea view upgrades

Jclarkford--------just came across these pictures of your rv. looks like all your hard work is starting come to an end.

now for a bit of I told you so ----------all you SEA VIEW owners with those CRAPPY basement doors made by Ortega, they will Crack & Break when outside temporatures drop to around 10 degrees. National replaced mine 2 times before they closed shop. mine are cracked right now, I have to store it outside in winter in my driveway. Ortega now makes replacement doors in fiberglass but are too pricey for me. so be sure you can keep yours stored inside in winter if you live in a cold climate area like me. jclarkford, I assume IDAHO gets quite cold in winter, so I wouldn't want to see all your hard work inside looking good & outside looking like mine.

2000 Sea View 8341 model/2 slides
saturn toad
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The bad doors were made in house by National RV, Ortega Mfg. bought the tooling when National closed. Ortega converted the tooling to produce fiberglass parts.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdes View Post

Questions:

Nice work!
I just used a utility knife to cut the carpet and existing vinyl out from under the kitchen and dinette section of the slide. I did not remove the slide. I used vinyl plank flooring that was pre clued but I still put adhesive on the floor before putting it down. Don't worry about the slide it will still slide in over the top of the new vinyl without touching it. There is no change in gap in the rear of the slide and in the front I added a piece of Hard rubber molding in between the bench seats. Regarding the doors cracking, the MH had some minor cracks in some of the doors when I got it. I stopped drilled them at that time and have not had any other problems. I have kept it inside my shop during the winter, but it was not heated. We are now in AZ over the winter so not a problem. I did install new carpet in the front, dog house and Rear Bedroom. Could have done vinyl up front put would have been a bunch of cuts around the dog house and the dog house would still have to be carpeted . Any other questions let me know
jclarkfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #54

I've only seen one fiberglass replacement compartment door on a National RV like mine and its surface was smooth, not dimpled like the originals. I don't know who the maker was.

Are the Ortega replacements smooth or do they replicate the surface texture of the originals?

Thanks,
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #55

plastic doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
The bad doors were made in house by National RV, Ortega Mfg. bought the tooling when National closed. Ortega converted the tooling to produce fiberglass parts.
I don't think National made the doors.

my repair orders that came from the dealer when mine were replaced said manufactured by a company called DEL CRAFT plastics. they were made with a product called CENTREX plastic. I don't think National owned DEL CRAFT plastics. Ortega did buy them out & sold the plastic doors for a number of years before making them in fiberglass.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #56

Apart from the doors cracking, is there a possibility that they can seperate? I have two doors that have cracked from the outside and the inside pretty close to each other but the doors still seem solid even at the bottom. I will be rindorcing the interior with steel glued to it. I live in Quebec canada so cold weather is unavoidable.
Ericdes is offline   Reply With Quote