Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replace Atwood water heater element 10 gal gas/elec

My heater works on Gas but not electric. I think I used hot water from outside shower to fill bucket with hot water when water was turned off causing element to burn out.

Can someone advise how to get at this element at rear of heater. Will I have to remove tank?

I believe the part is 91160 repl by 92249

Sam
2004 seabreeze 8321lx WH
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There might be access to the back of the tank. Look underneath first and see if you can see the back of the tank. There might be an access from inside the RV. Look for a panel that might be screwed or velcro'd in place. The tank is about 20" deep, so look about that far from the sidewall.

Are you sure the element is burned out? Perhaps your E.C.O. (energy cut off) was tripped by the heat. They switch off power when temps get too high. Unfortunately in older models the E.C.O. is on the back of the tank, near the electric element. Newer models have them on the tank front.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437323518.511013.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	100555Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437323547.113770.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	100556

I was able to remove metal panel to access rear of my water heater
Unfortunately there is no reset button so now I need help to verify that the element is the cause of my water not heating

I confess I own a digital meter but have no idea how to use it nor how to use it to check this element

Can someone guide me on this?

See photos

Sam
2004 Seabreeze LX

Sent from my I Phone
Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
This manual walks you through the electrical tests to check out the circuit and element. Make sure you have power off when suggested.

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf

Bob & Donna
Old 07-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Making progress I looked at you tube video and was able to check element for resistance and got 10.4 ohms which I believe means it's a GOOD element unless there is ohms coming from circuit board or something as I left black and white wires attached to screws in element while taking reading

Logically I think my next step would be to learn how to check for voltage at the element and turn power on and verify if any electric is getting to the element

I'll learn that and try it next

Any suggestions as to why this failed Two days ago appreciated I was using a lot of hot water from out side shower to fill bucket to wash RV and next day no hot water

Gas works fine Does the fact that gas works rule out circuit board?

Sam
Old 07-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
If you drained the tank, it could have overheated and tripped the E.C.O. It could be the issue or the thermostat since element tests O.K. When you turn on the electric element, are you flipping a 120 v type light switch or a 12 v switch? If a 12 v switch, then there's a relay in the circuit that could be the issue.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

You need to take the wires off when you take the reading, otherwise you will get a secondary path measured. You need only take one wire off - if you have any resistance at that point you will have a good element.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for tops so I took of black positive lead to element and it still tested 10.4 ohms so I guess the element is good?

I now see that in the front of heater there are two red leads clipped in front marked Eco and two brown wire clipped See photo I don't know how you reset two wires versus a reset button?

Also photo of my 120 v switch inside RV now this stopped lighting up years ago so don't know how to check this switch

Should I try and check voltage at the element ask positive white negative?

I'm running hot water to get some cold water in tank Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437328363.579118.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	100584Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437328392.714424.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	100585to ensure that thermostat turns power on

Thanks
Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Since the WH switch looks the same as the water pump switch next to it which we know is 12 v, I'm guessing the WH switch is 12 v controlling a relay. Before tearing into the panel, check for 120 v at the WH when the switch is on. If it's not present and you've tripped and reset the circuit breaker for the 120 v WH circuit, then you'll have to remove the panel or access the back and see where the wires from the WH switch lead. They should go to a relay that does the actual switching of the 120 v power to the WH.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

Most electric water heaters are shut off at the breaker panel to make sure you don't turn it on without water. If there is no water in the water heater - DON'T TURN IT ON! Check the breaker panel and see if you have one marked 'water heater'...and yes, it you have one wire off and still measure 10.4 ohms, the element is good.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I checked breaker yesterday and it was not tripped

I just flipped the breaker on and the switch on and checked for voltage at the element

There was no voltage

I also unplugged the Eco wire and re plugged them still no power to element

So is my next step to go inside RV and try to look behind the switch for a relay?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have verified that the element is good after removing both white and black wires at element and two ground wires attached to tank. Got 10.4 ohms at element and zero ohms between black lead at element and tank (ground)

don't know where to go from here. If you look at above photos you will see that there is a relay at back of tank inside element cover. can this go bad causing no AC power or is it the control board? I don't seem to have an ECO at the rear but see photo and you see an eco at front but that seems to attach to the gas valve? This is a atwood gc10a 4e model
Old 07-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
added information on no powwer to element

I want to mention that when the electric side of heater failed I was using about 10 gallons of Hot water to wash RV. I read in other posts about Hi Limit over load thermostat going bad. Could it be that high usage could have created this problem and how do I check cause of failure of having any 120 volt across the white and black wires on the element?
I don't seem to have an ECO for electric but there is a relay at back and a control board at front
Old 07-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
KIX

Maybe this can help you. The ECO and Tstat for the 120v element are on the tank above the element. The ones I've seen have a black wire connecting to the Tstat the a short jumper from Tstat to ECO then the black wire continues to element.
http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, atwood, element, gas, heat, heater, replace, water, water heater