Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Replace CRT TV's With Flat Screens

I want to replace the old 19" CRT televisions in my 2000 Dolphin 5373 with flat screen units. I also want to replace the B&W rear rear view monitor and camera with color units. Any suggestions? How to's?
Dolphinglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This may not come out as being helpful but I'll give it my best. There are lots of posts about swapping out the old TV's for new ones. You will probably be best served to do some searches and see some of the conversions that others have done to see how you can apply their ideas to your coach and your fabrication abilities. It is safe to say there are no drop in conversions, each one is a custom job. You should also inspect the areas in your coach carefully to see what you are dealing with once you remove the old TV's. This will help you to begin formulating your plan for the modifications required.

I hope that helps to give you a little to start with. I don't have any comments regarding the back up camera conversion. I didn't feel that having my white toad in color provided any benefit over black and white.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
This may not come out as being helpful but I'll give it my best. There are lots of posts about swapping out the old TV's for new ones. You will probably be best served to do some searches and see some of the conversions that others have done to see how you can apply their ideas to your coach and your fabrication abilities. It is safe to say there are no drop in conversions, each one is a custom job. You should also inspect the areas in your coach carefully to see what you are dealing with once you remove the old TV's. This will help you to begin formulating your plan for the modifications required.

I hope that helps to give you a little to start with. I don't have any comments regarding the back up camera conversion. I didn't feel that having my white toad in color provided any benefit over black and white.
Good advice. There are a plethora of threads on this subject and all will give you the inspiration needed but the execution needs to be custom.
Personally, I tried the DIY route but a Carpenter I am not. I threw in the towel (and a few bucks) and turned the coach over to a shop that did a really nice job and made everything look like it belonged.

My attempt was far from it to say the least.

X2 on the camera. I could not justify the cost. Spent all my dough on the TV's.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #4

This is how our Reno turned out.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/awes...rv-138956.html
Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Sorry for the diversion from your question Dolphinglenn, just wanted to comment on Dennis's upgrades. Beautiful job by your shop and lots of wonderful storage reclaimed.

I am a hobby woodworker so I tackled the job myself. Here is a recent post with my conversion. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/arti...ml#post1958560
Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know how your TV is mounted, but here's a link to what I did.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/lcd-...-x-117797.html
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I was going to do my own, until I discovered my RV dealer would do it for under $200 not including the TV. It took 90 minutes for the dealer to do the job and it looks like it was done at the factory.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Removed both of ours and have too say that was the biggest job. Have someone help you when it's time to take them out. Plenty heavy. I just had and oak door made with hinges attached to cover the openings of where the TV's were. Mounted a flat mount bracket on the new bed from door and mounted the TV. The space behind now is just more storage room. The same basically for the front as well only we decided to not mount the TV back in that location. The TV now sits on a stand on the passenger side wall. It seems to make it much easier for viewing. When we travel we just move that TV to a storage spot next to the couch on the floor. Good luck with your project.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #9

I just finished mine not too long ago. The front was a little more tricky then the rear, only because I had to fabricate some pieces to close the gaps the 32 inch LED TV did not cover. The rear was easier and was able to fit a 24 inch LED TV into a wooden frame and hinge it at the top for easy access to more storage in the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV cavitity.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	58004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front TV Finshed.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	58005  

Name:	Rear 24 inch LED Smart TV.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	58006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear 24 inch LED w Door Hinged Open.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	58007  

Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Sorry for the diversion from your question Dolphinglenn, just wanted to comment on Dennis's upgrades. Beautiful job by your shop and lots of wonderful storage reclaimed.

I am a hobby woodworker so I tackled the job myself. Here is a recent post with my conversion. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/arti...ml#post1958560
Nice job. You obviously have the right skills for wood.

I can rebuild engines but woodworking is not my thing.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #11

Good prices on what appears to be nice back-up camera systems. I have not purchased one, but hope soon. A friend of mine bought one, loved it!

Backup Camera System | Vehicle Safety Products | RearViewSafety.com
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #12

Nice job. Thanks for the pics and the encouragement.
Dolphinglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently replaced my front TV in the dash overhead with a 22' Vizio LCD from Costco for under $200.

After removing the CRT and cleaning up the wiring, I cut a piece of 1/2 plywood to the size a cabinet door would have been. It is also the exact width of the Vizio. After sanding the plywood, I painted it with a couple layers of gloss black paint to match the TV. I drilled holes in the plywood to match the TV mounting holes and screwed it to the plywood door from the back. I added two shelf brackets to the bottom to really lock the TV down...probably not necessary, but I'm kinda A/R about those things.

I purchased hinges from my local hardware store that matched the original National hinges, then drove out the hinge pins with a hammer and punch. I replaced the hinge pins with quick release latch pins so I could move the TV to another location when I wanted to. (If this moving the TV isn't important to you, use the hinges as purchased.)

All in all, a great upgrade, under $200 cost and probably 4-6 hours of my time.

Good luck on your project.
Karl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV door closed.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	58064   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV door open.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	58065