Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #1

We have a 2005 Dolphin 5355 and are considering replacing the carpet with vinyl. We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this done. The floor area around the kitchen sink, stove, fridge and the bathroom area is vinyl with the rest carpeted. We would have a shop do the work but wonder if there are problems unique to a motorhome that we should bring to their attention. Also would they have to tear out the vinyl as well as the carpet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #2

We have a 2005 Dolphin 5355 and are considering replacing the carpet with vinyl. We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this done. The floor area around the kitchen sink, stove, fridge and the bathroom area is vinyl with the rest carpeted. We would have a shop do the work but wonder if there are problems unique to a motorhome that we should bring to their attention. Also would they have to tear out the vinyl as well as the carpet?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We replaced the carpet on a 1997 Dolphin 536S with laminate. The major problem was getting all the staples out from under the slide. The second problem (that you should not have with vinyl) was trimming the edges of the liminate. Many of the corners in the motor home are rounded rather than square.
Never_be_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #4

My 2001....when asking the dealership mechanic about replacing the carpet with laminate...he said not to...or be real careful. He claimes the slide out can scratch the laminate (wood) flooring. Pulling the carpet and getting laminate is something I'd like to do, but.......

This true?
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #5

Jersey,

I replaced the god awful carpet in my '01 with a 6"x36" lap glued planked vinyl (trade name Traffic Master) from home depot. It was a big job removing the carpet, must have has a ton of staples in it. Took me about two week working two to three hours a day. Where there was already sheet vinyl, I left it in place just trimming and cleaning the edges and used a cement base leveling mix and feathered it out about a foot. It is a tough vinyl that seem to be standing up to the slide. I do try to put something under the slide to help it along. I don't think I would put wood or laminate, or sheet vinyl under the slide because if a little rock or such gets under it it would gouge the wood or sheet goods.

After all said and done, it turned out great. Best upgrade I could have made. Wish I had had it while full timing but tools and a place to live while working on it were not available.

I could post a photo if I only knew how.

'01 Nat'l RV, Tropical 33' Ford V10
H. Dossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
We're tearing out the carpet tomorrow. I'm putting down composite vinyl squares but I'm going to carpet the slide, the area around the captains chairs, and the sides of the stairs. I am not looking forward to this. A friend that is a maintenance supervisor and has done vinyl and carpet forever is helping me, but he's never done an RV. I'm going to put a rug in front of the sofa. Now I'm concerned about the vinyl getting scraped . . . any way to prevent that?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #7

How do you get to the carpet that is underneath the slide?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
On my Dolphin, there is a metal/ rubber seal that runs the full length. With the slide extended, you can remove the seal and pull the remaining carpet. I used a pair of 11 inch needle nose pliers to pull staples and bits of carpet.. My unit has a rack and pinion slide mechanism, so I pulled the slide in a foot or two and was able to lift it an inch or two from the inside and get under it for remaining staples. The carpet and padding under the rollers were a problem ... just had to keep at it a bit at a time. Putting the laminate under the slide was easy, put a few sections together and sled under it.
Never_be_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote