Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

Replacing Generac gen in 2001 Marlin

I bought a 2001 Marlin without the 6.6kw LP Generac generator in it (got a great deal). I bought a new 7.5kw LP Generac to put in after checking bolt patterns. Unfortunately I found out the oil fill and filter are on the wrong side so I cannot use the new generator. Now I am trying to find anyone with a 2001 NRV that has a 6.6 LP generac and could give me a model #. I called Generac and they couldn't help at all. If anyone knows a model # of a new generator that would fit that would work too. Oh and I will have a new Gen for sale soon...

Thanks for any help folks
Mark n Liz
MMC(SW) Ret. RN, BSN
markrroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #2

I previously owned a 2001 model with the LP Gen. It wasmodel 9734-3, Series NP-66LPG. Hope this helps.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #3

Hi Mark,

I was wondering (sometimes that can be dangerous) can you get a new mounting plate for the new generator? It should be replaceable. It may require some welding but better then taking a bath. If it will fit in the hole someone should be able to modify the mount. Need to find a good welding shop.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #4

Its not the mounting that is the problem (the new QP75LP fits in the spot just fine), its the frame rails that block access to changing the oil and filter. According to Generac the only LP model that had maintenance items on the front end was the 9734-3 NP-66LPG (I have called them 4 times now and honestly they seem completely unwilling to actually look anything up, since they answer immediately and always with a negative).

Since I am sure I can't be the only NRV owner that has to replace the generator I know there has got to be something out there. I have called Onan and Generac, Generator Joe (got no answer and no call back), Visone RV Mart, 3 RV salvage yards and 3 local Generator sales stores. So far I got no idea what to do yet.

Thanks Folks
Mark and Liz
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

National also offered a diesel version as an option in 2001. I don't recall if it was a Generac or Onan. Might be an option although would be more expensive than the LP. The LP is much louder than the diesel.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #6

I have heard now that Onan makes diesel gens. with oil filters at the back but accessable from underneath thus eliminating the oil changing problem. I have not been able to verify this yet, and I don't know if the generator itself will fit in the space available... If anyone knows anything solid, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark and Liz
Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

Hello again Mark,

After looking at the 2 generators they appear to be almost identical. They both have access to the oil filter from the front. If the filter is the only problem is it possible to use the shorter (smaller) filter on 6.6Kw on your new generator? The smaller filter may allow you drop it low enough to get it out. Or would it be possible to raise the generator just enough to gain clearance?

~Bill
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #8

Mark,

One other thing occurred to me, do you have the shock mounting kit? The vibration dampeners may raise the generator enough to give you the clearance you need.

~Bill
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

Not really sure if the shock mounts are there or not. My MH is at Camping World getting quite a few things done (installing gen was only one thing) and they are 100 miles away. I have been talking with their mechanic about trying a diesel gen in it and he seems to think the Generac will fit with a couple small modifications. Its very aggrivating to be trying to find something to fit when it isn't here to check things out.

The Diesel gen seems to be a little cheaper actually than the LP from what I am looking at.
thanks,
Mark
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried calling Norwall Power Systems? Don't know if they can help, can't hurt.

norwall.com

Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #11

I will try calling norwall tomorrow, thanks for the help so far!

Mark and Liz