Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Replacing Kitchen Sink

I have a 2000 Tradewinds 7371 with original sink and corian counter tops. I am going to replace the kitchen sink now (and maybe the bath sink later) with another double sink. I also want a deeper sink.

My RV repair guy has suggested a new type acrylic sink. (Lyons Industries). I've thought also of stainless steel as more durable and easier to keep clean. Either will be a "drop in" or "flush mount" type. He says the stainless is "passe" (not his exact words) and the acrylic is being used in new coaches.

RV guy also suggest going with dual faucets rather than single lever as most leak problems he sees are in the single lever fixure.

I have several questions:

1. Pros and cons of either material?
2. How deep can I go without a conflict of install as well as going to far down into the undersink storage area?
3. Thoughts on single vs. dual controls?
4. Any particular options I should consider?
5. Any other thoughts in general about this project?

Thanks!

Jim
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
I have a 2000 Tradewinds 7371 with original sink and corian counter tops. I am going to replace the kitchen sink now (and maybe the bath sink later) with another double sink. I also want a deeper sink.

My RV repair guy has suggested a new type acrylic sink. (Lyons Industries). I've thought also of stainless steel as more durable and easier to keep clean. Either will be a "drop in" or "flush mount" type. He says the stainless is "passe" (not his exact words) and the acrylic is being used in new coaches.

RV guy also suggest going with dual faucets rather than single lever as most leak problems he sees are in the single lever fixure.

I have several questions:

1. Pros and cons of either material?
SS looks cheap!
2. How deep can I go without a conflict of install as well as going to far down into the undersink storage area?
Open the door and see what's under there and measure the distance. You can go as deep as you want as long as you can plumb it and you don't interfere with anything else.
3. Thoughts on single vs. dual controls?
Get what you like, leaks happen to all faucets.
4. Any particular options I should consider?
Think about a disposal.
5. Any other thoughts in general about this project?
Not at the moment, but I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Jim
See answers in bold red.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Thanks Bub! The RV guy said basically the same thing about SS now that I think about it. Didn't know a disposl was an option in an RV. What type of upgrade or modification to existing plumbing would that require?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks Bub! The RV guy said basically the same thing about SS now that I think about it. Didn't know a disposl was an option in an RV. What type of upgrade or modification to existing plumbing would that require?
Well, I was about halfway kidding about the disposal but here's a little link to a discussion:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/garba...sal-60513.html
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Thanks but I think I'll skip the disposal.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are many grades of stainless steel, so just don't think about the low end of the line. Take some time to look at Elkay's better sinks, they have a better grade of stainless and some are fully polished to a near chrome shine. If you want something better, talk to a Corian installer and maybe consider a corian sink installed in your existing countertop, seamless, easy to clean and you can have any depth. As far as the lav sink, take a look at what I did. I bought a piece of Corian, cut and finished so it would overlay my old Corian countertop. I had a hole cut into it and mounted a "Vessals" lav ontop. Now we enjoy a larger lav bowl without giving up the limited counter space.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the info guys! Already having trouble with this project. The stainless sink I found requires that holes be drilled in the Corian and the fixture be mounted behind the sink. There is very little room between my sink and the Corian backsplash. I need a sink on which the fixture can be mounted. Went to my local plumbing supply today and spoke with a knowledgeable lady about Elkay and other sinks. She finds nothing for me. She suggests alternatives of replacing the existing countertop with new and cutting the hole to fit a sink that I would buy OR calling a local guy who may add another layer to my existing countertop and put a new sink in a new hole. In either case I'd need a smaller sink than I want. I'd like to have an undermount sink and don't particularly like the idea of a sink mounting on top with a lip about the Corian. My old sink is porcelain and badly chipped and I'm just tired of looking at it. VegasDan how can I see the pictures of your lav sink? Did you also do the kitchen sink?

Jim
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

Look into a Moenstone. It is a large single bowl sink big enough to handle large pots and pans. DW loved it.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My kitchen sink is fine, I just replaced the faucet with a Moen single control that the spout pulls out to use as a spray. Here's a photo of the lav sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lav2 009.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	41817  
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Trying to post a picture taken with iPhone yesterday but I get "invalid file type" message. The pic is 230KB JPEG. What's my problem?

VegasDan yur sink there looks like a bathroom sink to me. I like the undermount vs. one that would sit on top of the opening with a lip around it. However I can't find a stainless sink that undermounts like the one shown and also allows for a fixture to mount on the sink itself rather than behind the sink. Notice that there is precious little room behind the sink. I guerss I'd "settle" for the same shallow sink as I have but would prefer stainless and something deeper than this one. Again, any ideas??
Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #11

OOPS! I'm referring to the picture not yet shown of my KITCHEN sink. Hopefully I'll have it up here soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Quote:
Trying to post a picture taken with iPhone yesterday but I get "invalid file type" message. The pic is 230KB JPEG. What's my problem?

VegasDan yur sink there looks like a bathroom sink to me. I like the undermount vs. one that would sit on top of the opening with a lip around it. However I can't find a stainless sink that undermounts like the one shown and also allows for a fixture to mount on the sink itself rather than behind the sink. Notice that there is precious little room behind the sink. I guerss I'd "settle" for the same shallow sink as I have but would prefer stainless and something deeper than this one. Again, any ideas??
It's easy with the irv2 app. Are you using it ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #13

Am on my laptop at the moment. After trying with my iPad. If I must I will go to the iPhone and use the app but hate doing it on the phone if I don't have to. Do you know what the problem is with the picture?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #14

I'm trying to use it but not doing well. Now on the iPad app. File uploaded but not sure where the picture actually is. Will hit SEND here and see if the post appears with the pic.