Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Question Replacing RVComfort thermostat in an 05 Dolphin

Well the slide switch on the RVComfort.PHP thermostat slides but doesn't switch anymore. So I called RVComfort and got the model number and located and bought and now have the correct replacement in the box in my hand.

So far so good. (That;s what the man who fell from a 80 story building was heard to say as he fell past the 40th floor!)

But, I removed the screws from the model on the wall and gently tugged on the wires to see if there was any slack - about 2 inches is what I got.

OK. But the new model has a 3 pin polarized plug and 9 other wires in pigtails, but the wiring diagram I retrieved from the RVComfort site shows a 9 pin molex connector rather than the bundle of unterminated wires.

So I was wondering how to remove or somehow determine if there is a pair of sockets behind the wooden panel upon which the thermostat is mounted.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #2

Don't know if it possible with you t-stat, but check out this thread and link. The stat can be found at Walmart for ~$20. I've got one in mine and am going to install one in a friends Sea Breeze

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/Chang...al-149224.html

Hunter 4299B Digital Thermostat RV Installation

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK. Short answer is I got a 12 pin polarized male & female connector from Radio Shack and VERY CAREFULLY matched up the color coded wires. The panel on which the thermostat and several other gauges are mounted is really a door with a molded plastic cover hiding all the wires going to the back of the various displays. So I had plenty of room once I opened the panel & removed the cover.

So now my 12 pin connectors (M&F) sit between the new thermostat and the original molex connectors.

And now I find I have a different problem: the lack of 12v in the circuits between the thermostat and the HVAC.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just trhe facts mam'

It turns out the "new" thermostat I got from the local RV Center was bad.

I called the manufacturer (RVComfort) and spoke with a tech who assured me that thermostats fresh from the factory came with 2 plugs, wrapped in plastic and with a page of information about the operation of the HVAC. The one I got had 1 plug, not plastic bag and no information sheet. This should have set of alarms but the thermostat-in-the-hand syndrome overcame my caution.

I took the unit I got back to the RV center and with some "egg on the face" looks, they refunded my money.

I got a new thermostat from an online source (AdventureRV) and when I installed it, like magic everything works!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

Any bets someone else brought it back, and they just put it back on the shelf?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
I got a new thermostat from an online source (AdventureRV) and when I installed it, like magic everything works!
Good source, my purchases have been excellent.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, thermostat