Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Ride enhancements in 2001 Dolphin 5355?

About 4-5 years ago I upgraded to Koni shocks on my Dolphin 5355 (W-22, 19.5" wheels). It stopped the porpoising right away and led to a generally smoother ride. I also added a rear track bar whuich helped. On smooth roads the coach rides very nicely, but as the quality of highways declines in our country I'm finding the ride less and less comfortable. In particular I grow tired of the rattling and noise every time we go over larger pavement strips or small potholes. It sounds like everything in the coach is shaking (even if briefly). The road surface translates directly to the interior of our coach.

My question is whether any National W-22 owners have added systems like the Mor/ryde or Kelderman to their coach? If so, how much improvement did you get? Was there reasonable "separation" of the coach from the chassis? I know they're expensive, but we'll be keeping this coach for another 4-5 years (until we move to a DP). Another 4-5 years of this ride is not something I want to live with if it can be avoided without breaking the bank.

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

When you upgraded to the Koni Shocks, were they the FSD series?

Our coach is mounted on the f53 chassis that gave us a very harsh ride until we installed the FSD"s on the front suspension which significantly improved ride comfort.

Last year I had the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags installed on all 4 corners which seemed to further enhance the ride comfort. I run 70psi in rear bags and between 15 & 20 psi in front bags.

Good luck with your ride improvement project and safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. Yes, I've got the FSD Koni shocks. I'm not sure if the Firestone system will work on our 2001 W-22 chassis. According to their web site, it only works on models from 2004 and on. If it were not so much money I'd do the Kelderman based on reviews I've read, but the $4000+ is hard to justify if we plan on keeping this coach for another few years before making the move to a DP. I'll be calling the manufacturers of the various suspension enhancements this week. I know they'll all say their systems are great, but hopefully I'll get some real-world information.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #4

rvguy, not sure if you have taken a look at the Workhorse thread but you may have better responses from that thread. Although you will get some here who have a WH chassis, you will get a wider audience that is workhorse specific with some folks that have direct knowledge from the factory.
In my case, I am still running the stock Bilsteins and I have added the Safe-T-Plus and a rear track bar. I have been looking at the Koni FSDs but dont have the $$ right now to try a set on the front.
Good luck.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #5

Thanks. I just spoke with Mor/Ryde today. Total cost to have the front and rear kits put on by them is about $2600 (incl. labor) plus spending a night in town since it's a two day job. I'd love to read some feedback from another W-22 owner before I think about committing to this expense. 10 years of rattles and shakes on bad roads is enough for me if I can fix it with confidence. I guess as I age my tolerance for the noise gets less and less - LOL!

Tags
dolphin