Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Roof

I have a 2000 Tradewinds, model 7373 and it is time to take it out of mothballs, clean and wax the exterior, and wash the top. My question is: what kind of top do i have? Rubber, fiberglass, or something else. If there is someone who can help not only with the material on top, but after that ,what is the best product to clean and preserve it. Thanks, Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Duk
You probably have a EDPM Rubber Roof. One way to check is to remove the Shroud from one of the roof vents and look for the rubber folded into the opening, look at the attached picture.

If you have a Rubber Roof this set of products do a good job of cleaning it up.
Rubber Roof Cleaner - Protect All

Here is a link to some pictures of my roof using Protectall, cost was around $35 and a couple hours work.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212579

Post some pictures of the new Decals when you get them installed.

Good Luck

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubber Roof Check.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	20475  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's hard, it's fiberglass. If your fingernail will gently leave an impression, it's rubber.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another Option

My 98 Tradewinds roof is EPDM rubber and it's now 14 years old and in need of a major re-coating. I've done a lot of research and I'm now ready to re-coat it with Liquid Rubber from EDPM Coatings. It's a "one coat" process, simple to apply and does not require any special preparation except for cleaning with soap and water. It is a bit expensive....$77.00 a gallon and my coach will require 7 gallons to do the job. It's guaranteed for 5 years but it is expected to last for 10 years. Their website is a wealth of information and application videos. Rook

EPDM Liquid Roof and Liquid EPDM Rubber Application for Roof Repair

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #5

I'm with Rook.... this summers project is tires and replacing a/c shrouds/vent covers/skylight and coating the roof. "Serenata" had a new EPDM membrane installed 7 yr ago and it's time to freshen it up as it gets grey and dingy looking quickly......
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

Liquid Rubber Roof

Just did our 1998 Dolphin roof. Used 1 gallon to trim in and 5 gallons to do the rest. Had a peanut butter jar full left over and put it in the freezer. Took one day to prep and a hard day in the sun but it does look good. A few bubbles but the web site said give it 2-5 week to work out. We Etherbond taped all joints before LR. We used Liquid Rubber and not Liquid Roof. Saved a little money
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm waiting to see how mine holds up as we found a crack in the fiber glass roof of my Tradewinds and the insurance company replaced it to the tune of $7500.It was replaced with a PVC roof material which is s'posed to be very little maintainence and NO black streaks.There is a special cleaner in a spray bottle that you can use once a year,but basically a good wash job will suffice.
I do have a bit of a problem with black streaks now,but they are the remainents of the 50 mile trip on the hook of a monster tow truck from where the tailpipe tried to lite the back end on fire to the repair shop in Grants Pass Oregon. That guy did a real job with the soot from his twin exhaust pipes.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'm waiting to see how mine holds up as we found a crack in the fiber glass roof of my Tradewinds and the insurance company replaced it to the tune of $7500.It was replaced with a PVC roof material which is s'posed to be very little maintainence and NO black streaks.There is a special cleaner in a spray bottle that you can use once a year,but basically a good wash job will suffice.
I do have a bit of a problem with black streaks now,but they are the remainents of the 50 mile trip on the hook of a monster tow truck from where the tailpipe tried to lite the back end on fire to the repair shop in Grants Pass Oregon. That guy did a real job with the soot from his twin exhaust pipes.
I wonder if it's BriteTek? If so it's a very good product, we have it on our '02 DSDP and have had no troubles with it. Still looks almost like new and I could clean it better and then it would look new. Still have to check the sealant, but you have to do that with a fiberglass one too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 01 has a Bright Tech roof. Seamless, hard surface and no-it's not fiberglass.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
My 98 Tradewinds roof is EPDM rubber and it's now 14 years old and in need of a major re-coating. I've done a lot of research and I'm now ready to re-coat it with Liquid Rubber from EDPM Coatings. It's a "one coat" process, simple to apply and does not require any special preparation except for cleaning with soap and water. It is a bit expensive....$77.00 a gallon and my coach will require 7 gallons to do the job. It's guaranteed for 5 years but it is expected to last for 10 years. Their website is a wealth of information and application videos. Rook

EPDM Liquid Roof and Liquid EPDM Rubber Application for Roof Repair
Well, I hired a professional painter to apply my Liquid Rubber to my roof. All went well......except I fear he put it on to thin.....only used 4 gallons.....I ordered 7 gallons. I told him that the recommended coverage was 42 sqft per gal. I watched him put it on the roof overhang on both sides with a brush and it looked plenty thick to me.....he had to go back and smooth the "droops" in several places. He was very thorough in his smoothing it out. I was amazed when he finished it with only 4 gallons. He said it looked GREAT on top. It has a nice smooth shinny finish. I dumped a gallon that was left in the 4 gallon can and I have 2 gallons left over...never opened. Now wondering what to do......Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the folks I respect, and who's advice I personally take in this area, say to treat the ROOF much like a kitchen floor.. Bucket, Water, MOP (I use a long handled "Van wash" car wash brush) and Spic & Span. Sweep off loose stuff first, (Yes, that is step one in the kitchen too) and then mop her down.

I use a garden hose and sprayer for the rinse however. (Can't do that in the kitchen )

As to what kind... Well, that I can not answer but it makes no difference cleaning.

Tags
roof