Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Running both roof A/C units

I would like to run both a/c units as well as the dash air while on the road. With the slides in on my 2004 Seabreeze 8321 lx, I can't access the rear a/c thermostat control. Am I missing something ?

Thanks !
rlancast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #2

Ummm, I would think that you're outta luck. Just slide out the rear one a tad bit, turn it on, then slide it in.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
The rear thermostat is covered in my 1341 as well when the slide is in, but there is enough room to slip my hand in and activate the controls. Can't see to set the temp but I am able to turn the unit on and off.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlancast View Post
I would like to run both a/c units as well as the dash air while on the road. With the slides in on my 2004 Seabreeze 8321 lx, I can't access the rear a/c thermostat control. Am I missing something ?

Thanks !
I guess you could just leave it on and use the circuit breaker to shut it down and most sure the breaker on the gen set itself is feeding it. You might also try fishing some wires and installing a switch near the thermo for turning it off and on.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #5

I wouldn't use a circuit breaker to do that. It wasn't designed to work that way. I'd take the time and slide it out that foot, if that, that you need.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

I have a 2004 LX and just learned that the generator can be used to run the air conditioners while on the road. They work fine when shore powered but do not work with the generator going. Can anyone assist?
lkmaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmaurice View Post
I have a 2004 LX and just learned that the generator can be used to run the air conditioners while on the road. They work fine when shore powered but do not work with the generator going. Can anyone assist?
Gen sets have circuit breakers located on the gen set unit itself. Other problem could be that your transfer switch isn't switching. Do you have ac power in your unit for other things when on gen power.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post

Gen sets have circuit breakers located on the gen set unit itself. Other problem could be that your transfer switch isn't switching. Do you have ac power in your unit for other things when on gen power.
To be honest I have never dry camped. Where would I find the transfer switch if its nit the circuit breakers?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
To be honest I have never dry camped. Where would I find the transfer switch if its nit the circuit breakers?
Not knowing your brand of rv its hard to tell. My automatic transfer switch is in the lower compartment where the shore power chord enters the rv. Do other ac applications (microwave, hot water heater, ac outlets) power up from the generator. If so, your transfer switch is working. On older units they didn't have auto switches & you manually plug in your rv plug either into the gen power plug or the shore power plug.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #10

It's 2004 Seabreeze LX .
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My thermostat is not hidden by any slides, but before I start driving for the day I set both A/C's to the temp I want. I leave the thermostat on. When I need the A/C's I simply start the generator from the driver's seat as I'm driving. After a few minutes, they start up. If you are operating the hot water heater on electricity, I would suggest turning the switch off while traveling. The hot water heater electric element takes about 1500 watts to operate. This, in conjunction with two A/C's running, will sometimes kick the generator off. I know. This has happened to me in the past.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Seems kinda crazy they went away from what they had ( both AC's controled from the same thermostat in the hallway ), to having one inaccessible with a slide closed !
Old 06-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some rigs may not have an automatic transfer switch and may require moving the shore power cord to plug into the generator output plug.
Or, if you have an transfer switch it isn't functioning.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Don't think you have a transfer sw and you need to plug into the gen set outlet for power.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof