RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
RV won't start

We stored the RV for the winter. When we went to pick it up it would not turn over, We charged the batteries. The dash shows the batteries at full charge now but it still won't turn over. All dash lights come on and the headlights are strong, I did notice that the check trans light stays on and the lights on the side which show which gear the trans is in did not come on. Is there a switch or wire that may have come loose or failed. If you hot wire it right to the starter it starts right up.

sirrock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not familiar with how National's are wired, but... most RVs have a solenoid between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. Since you state it starts right up with hot wiring the starter you might look for the secondary solenoid.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
D-S

National RV Owners Club
I agree with Ronnie from previous post, i think it may have something to do with your starter solenoid
Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Since this issue seems to have come up at the same time as your transmission irregularities, I'd suggest looking at the transmission wiring harness. There is a neutral safety switch on the transmission that will not allow the engine to start while the trans is in drive or reverse. If rodents chewed on your wires, the ECU might not be getting the "all clear" signal from the trans to allow it to start.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

Sounds like a bad cable connection at the starter or bad solenoid. Start at the connections on the starter and work your way back to the batteries. I suspect a corroded contact over the winter.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

It would sure be nice to hear if the OP ever resolved his problem, and what the problem actually was.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
It would sure be nice to hear if the OP ever resolved his problem, and what the problem actually was.

I agree, so many people come on looking for help and then do not provide any feedback.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

RE: RV won't start

I am also thinking neutral safety switch. While it "could" be a solenoid or battery cable, the fact that there is a tranny light lit that shouldn't be, or a tranny light not lit that should be, indicated the problem is probably there. Your vehicle is designed to start only in PARK and in Neutral.
Not two months ago I found the neutral switch out of adjustment on my Suburban. My vehicle would not start in neutral, but it would start if I moved the shifter slightly towards the DRIVE indicator. Turn the key to START and slowly pull the shifter towards DRIVE. Probably should have your foot on the brake in case that's the problem and you go too far. LOL!
I found the neutral safety switch on the Suburban to be massive, actually. It covered a good portion of the bottom of the tranny. So, if we're talking GM here, you may want to read up first before adjustment. Best of luck!
dumbneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at the OP's profiles he has a DP, either Freightliner or Spartan chassis.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
won't start fixed- new problem

Had to have it towed to a repair shop(don't even get me started on what that cost). I'm glad I had a PDF I could send them with the wiring for this old coach (2001). They had to run a new wire from the back computer to the front. Somewhere deep within the bowels of this vehicle was a broken wire. They said it was in an area they couldn't get to so they couldn't repair it, just easier to run a new one. Then, to top it off, we went camping this weekend and the leveling jacks don't work. You can here the motor in the back running but nothing happens. I'm about ready to give up on this unit. You go camping to get out and relax. No luck so far this year.
Thanks to all of you who made suggestions for a solution to the start problem. They were very much appreciated. If I decide to keep this coach it will stay covered in the driveway for winter from now on. No more storage.
sirrock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
sirrock4

I've had a similar issue with my leveling jacks. The simple fix for me was to check the hydraulic fluid reservoir, sure enough mine was low. After a quick top off things ran well. Worth a try........

Macstromer is offline   Reply With Quote