RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

Satellite dome antenna roof installation mounting

With spring here we are fervently working to get our new (to us) Sea Breeze ready to roll. Biggest project on the agenda is the installation of a Winegard RoadTrip MiniMax dome satellite antenna on the roof. Should be pretty easy with National being kind enough to pre-install most of the wiring.

I do have a question however about the actual physical mounting of the antenna. The instructions say, "Before using the supplied mounting screws, check with your vehicle manufacturer for any special screw requirements. Screw down with three screws for each foot."

Nothing is mentioned about the need to try to find a roof crossmember to fasten the antenna to.

Is the roof structure strong enough to hold the antenna without doing so?

Just want to verify as it would really ruin a trip to have that thing come flying off while going down the highway.

Lastly regarding the 'box' on the roof installed by National for the wiring... I am guessing this is just removed and discarded once the antenna wiring plate is put in place?

Thank in advance for any advice!

Tony

TABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
national used the Kingdome antenna. thats what we put on ours. don't know if the pree wire is the same for winegaurd. i left the box on. just screwed antenna to roof with dicor under the feet. bin up there for 4 years with no problems. good luck. its a walk in the park.
dave

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In December, I installed a Winegard DISH Trav'Ler 1000 satellite antenna and two ViP211K satellite receivers. Yes, you remove and discard the square electrical box. The coax entry plate supplied by Winegard was big enough to cover the hole in the roof that remains after removing the square box. If you have an oscillating tool with a scraper blade it will cut through the gobs of sealant National used to seal the box like butter. I had two coax cables in the roof supplied by National. On is a direct line to the rear TV and one goes to the front. Also supplied by National were a hot 12 volt wire and a telephone type wire. I didn't need the telephone wire (used by King Dome back then for there satellite controller) so I used it to pull a third coax cable to the front TV area (for future use) My new satellite antenna didn't need the telephone wire. The wires and coax going to the front of the MH go through grey conduit. You can see it if you remove the front TV.

I just screwed my antenna to the roof and didn't worry about trying to secure to the metal framing. Although one of the screws did hit the frame. There should be two frame sections going from the front to the rear of the MH on either side of your ceiling lights and ceiling vents. If you have a ceiling light just to the rear of where the grey electrical box is on the roof, remove it and you'll be able to see the satellite wires supplied by National. On my MH, they bundled the ceiling wire harness (wires for inside lighting and fixtures) to the passenger side metal frame. You might want to make sure you don't hit the wire harness. I installed my satellite dish off center so it wouldn't interfere with the batwing over-the-air antenna, should I choose to use it in conjunction with the satellite dish, so hitting the ceiling wire harness wasn't an issue.

At first, I was going to go with the system you're going to install but did some research and decided to go with the Trav'Ler dish. It locks on to three satellites at the same time and is HD capable. I'm glad I did. I do not have satellite at home so I chose DISH as my provider because of their Pay-as-you-go plan. I couldn't be happier.

Have fun on your installation.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Very good. Thank you so much for the detailed information - will make a nice guide as I do the work this weekend. Seems like it is straightforward and made easier by National's prep work.

FWIW, we went with the MiniMax because we are already with DirecTV and only need standard definition. I'm too cheap for HD.

Tony
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Our KingDome was installed by NRV when our coach was built. They left the box in place and used flexible conduit to connect it to the dome.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Antenna stuff

I removed the single LNB King Dome and the batwing.
I installed a Trav'ler and a King Controls Jack, the 12 inch one.
As said above, the grey box covers the hole in the roof where the factory prewired 12 volts, two coax leads and the telephone style control cable necessary for a King Dome antenna. The batwing coax is under there but poked thru the insulation to the mounting location.
I do not know what roof transition plate your antenna comes with, but the hole in my roof was way to large to get a proper seal on the leads feeding my new antenna. I fabricated an aluminum plate with a smaller hole for the cabling, attached the winegard plate to it and got a much better seal.
I had the plate powder coated white.
That said, it your antenna wants a piece of conduit to access the cabling, run a piece from the box to your antenna. Home Depot has all the pieces you need. That's how the King Dome was set up. Reseal the box if you reuse it. Mine was poorly done.
The roof will secure the antenna. Just be careful with the size of your pilot holes to maximize screw bite. Don't waste your time looking for the stringers. I do not think the effort is worth it.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The stringers can be easily found with a strong magnet. Was able to get at least 6 mtng screw to bite steel on my sk3005.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

Just wanted to post back and report on the satellite dome installation. All went well thanks to the great tips from folks in the forum - thank you.

Only real hiccup I had was getting to the power wire once I got it through the conduit from the roof. As many probably know (and I now do), it pops out above the TV with no real way to get to it. I had to take the wood frame off of around the TV to get to it. No big deal though.

The wiring that National installed from the factory was a big round connector, not a phone-like wire as some others had seen. Couldn't use it to pull my new wire through as I couldn't even find the other end of it. Undoubtedly it is tucked in behind the TV somewhere.

Thank you again to everyone for the advice.

Tony

Tags
antenna, roof, satellite