Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Question sea breeze roof

Hello; I just recently purchased a 2004 sea breeze and do not know what the roof is made out of. Is it rubber, fiberglass or something else? How do I go about keeping it clean? Thank you for you replies..
pappaono is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2005 Sea Breeze has a fiberglass roof. Yours is probably fiberglass also. The only thing that you need to do to keep it clean is to wash it with a scrub brush and mild soap. Be careful when walking up there because the fiberglass is VERY THIN and can crack if too much weight is put on the curved edge of the roof. Be careful up there anyways...it's a long drop.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 is also Fiberglass. Check your roof and make sure the caulking over the seams (front & Back), where the end caps tie in to the roof , is still in good condition. The main part of the roof is one piece. At 5 years, it is wise to check all points where things have been installed--Antennae , Refrig. Vent, A/C's, Plumbing vents etc. It is easy to re-caulk, using special caulk, of the caulking tape.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thank you for the roof information, I had noticed what looked like a tear in the roof and thought maybe it was made of something besides fiberglass. If it is in fact as thin as you say I can see how it might crack or even tear. I was able to seal it with etherbond tape. will check all the joints and make sure they are all caulked good. Happy Camping
pappaono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Sea Breeze also. The joint where the front and back caps meet can leak. I put Eternabond tape along them, and no more problems - for eternity, I hope. Calking the seams running along sides of the roof is also important.
psyflyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thin Roof

Thin is an understatement!!!! I've had RV's for 25 years, and about a month ago I hit the roof for the first time. It was a cut 4" wide and almost 50" long. In an old town with narrow streets, I hit the corner of a steel (I thought they were all aluminum) rain gutter, and it opened up the roof like a can opener. Of course it caught the corner of the roof where it is the thinnest.

Out in the curved portion of the roof is a wire race-way, with less than 1/2" Styrofoam support. Boy, what a job to repair. I built back up with carved blocks of Styrofoam, then covered with thin balsa wood to get an even curve. Then glassed over, and am now in the process of painting. The balsa wood also protected the Styrofoam from the polyester (fiberglass) resin, which quickly dissolves Styrofoam.

It would be best done from a scaffolding, which I don't have. I worked from a tall ladder, which means I had to move it a lot. Can't do from the top, as would always be leaning over the edge. To complicate the repair, about 50% of the cut all went down next to the refrigerator chimney.

It was $280 to repair the house, and is going to be about $80 + 25 hours or more for my work moho. (BTW, I only get paid..... to do this kind of work. -Too much is not enough.) On top a ladder is no place to work. On the first Saturday of almost 7 hours of work, I know I was up & down on the ladder no less than 20 times! I'm feeling my age now (65 in a few weeks) and this is just work I'm not cut out to do.

If you're thinking of repairing your own roof, bond something to the Styrofoam (like using balsa stuck down with epoxy glue) then use polyester resin on top the balsa. The balsa has to be sealed well, to keep the resin from getting to the Styrofoam.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote