Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
They probably inflated them to the side wall maximum PSI to CYA. Get your coach weighed and adjust the PSI according to the Load to Inflation Tables. I know I am in the minority, but I am very happy with my Bilsteins.

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From TOYO:
Quote:

Inflation Pressure Safety Margin
Toyo Tire does not recommend an “inflate-to-the-load” policy for RV tires. Tires that are inflated to accommodate the vehicle’s actual loads do not have any inflation safety margin. Consequently, even a minor loss of air pressure will cause the tires to be under-inflated and overloaded. Toyo Tire’s policy is to observe (as a minimum) the tire pressure established by the vehicle manufacturer as indicated on the tire information placard. There are multiple reasons why a safety margin
(by inflation) makes sense:
• All tires lose about 1-1.5 PSI per month due to natural permeation of the tire’s internal air pressure through the tire’s rubber membrane.
• In the event of slow air leaks from punctures, an inflation “reserve” may allow detection and repair of the leak prior to reaching a dangerously low inflation level.
• A safety margin is prudent for users who are apathetic regarding tire inflation maintenance.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaets View Post
I just remembered, there is a tire psi chart in the overhead cabinet above the drivers seat. It's good info
That "chart" will be for the unit with original tires in the original size and loaded to the maximum. So unless that's what your rig weighs it's wrong and should only be used till you get a true weight.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the Michelin Load to Inflation tables it says "Maximum Load & Pressure on Side Wall", not Maximum Load @ Minimum Pressure on Side Wall. What they are saying, that is the maximum cold air pressure to support the maximum load the tire is rated for. If you ask your tire dealer what is the maximum cold pressure of the tire without regard to load, they will point to the side wall rating.

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Michelin Load And Inflation Table.pdf (51.1 KB, 44 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
Here's the link to the Michelin RV Tire guide, check on page 2 to verify what I posted.

From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
Here's a link to the GoodYear RV Tire guide, check on page 6 to verify what I posted.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at the information on page 6 of the Michelin Brochure, it shows exactly what I am saying. The example they are using is for a 275/80R22.5 LRG tire with a load range G. In the far right column of the chart says MAXIMUM LOAD AND PRESSURE ON SIDEWALL for single tire is 6175 lbs @ 110 psi and for duals 5675 lbs @ 110 psi. As they show in their chart and the example, you can put in less cold air pressure based on your tire load. but do not exceed the maximum load and pressure that is on the tire side wall. Starting on page 18 the charts show the weight to inflation of various size and load range of tires. For example for a 245/70R19.5 LRG load range G tire the Maximum Load and Pressure on the tire side is 4540 lbs @ 110 psi for a single. The chart does not show what the load capacity is at 115 or 120 psi cold, because those pressure would be over inflation past the maximum side wall psi. I still say do not exceed the load and pressure that is stamped on the tire side wall. If you do your asking for trouble, plus they will not warranty a tire that has been over inflated past the side wall psi. There is no need to attached the brochures again, they all say the same thing. All though, the Michelin brochure is one of the best.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Koni FSD shocks are the only way to go, plus Michelins. Took my shocks off at 25,000 and tested rebound of the stock W22 Workhorse shocks and the rears were dead. Fronts had some rebound. This was based on the advice found on this web site. Built and installed a rear panard bar from a DIY person's blueprint and installed the Koni FSD shocks and what a HUGE difference!!!! Now going over overpasses on the interstate the coach bounces once on the down side and stops going down again the second time. On clover leafs off and on entering interstates when it warns speed at 25 mph I can now go 25 to 35 mph, were I could hardly go 20 mph before the mods. Driving at 65 mph I am no longer effected by large trucks passing me, especially trucks like Peterbuilts and others with extended engine cowlings. I can change lanes with more positive control with way less sway after completing the lane change. Now this is towing a 24' Pace race car trailer, making me 62' long!

I am retired so my costs are very important, however spend the damn money and buy the Koni's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will not be disappointed, and I place my name on that !

BTW: the "shock load" to your chassis and body structure is also greatly reduced with the Koni's, thus providing longevity to all components!
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Looking at the information on page 6 of the Michelin Brochure, it shows exactly what I am saying. The example they are using is for a 275/80R22.5 LRG tire with a load range G. In the far right column of the chart says MAXIMUM LOAD AND PRESSURE ON SIDEWALL for single tire is 6175 lbs @ 110 psi and for duals 5675 lbs @ 110 psi. As they show in their chart and the example, you can put in less cold air pressure based on your tire load. but do not exceed the maximum load and pressure that is on the tire side wall. Starting on page 18 the charts show the weight to inflation of various size and load range of tires. For example for a 245/70R19.5 LRG load range G tire the Maximum Load and Pressure on the tire side is 4540 lbs @ 110 psi for a single. The chart does not show what the load capacity is at 115 or 120 psi cold, because those pressure would be over inflation past the maximum side wall psi. I still say do not exceed the load and pressure that is stamped on the tire side wall. If you do your asking for trouble, plus they will not warranty a tire that has been over inflated past the side wall psi. There is no need to attached the brochures again, they all say the same thing. All though, the Michelin brochure is one of the best.
Again, both Michelin and Goodyear state that the pressure on the tire sidewall is the MINIMUM for the MAXIMUM rating of the tire.
Here's what Motorhome magazine said in their August 2010 article titled "Tread Carefully:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
This article was written by Doug Jones who is a customer engineering support manager at Michelin Americas Truck Tires. That's a pretty authoritative source as are the Michelin and GoodYear Motorhome Tire Guides that I quoted earlier.
BTW: go read the sidewall, all my Michelins say "minimum pressure"

From the Bridgestone/Firestone RV tire guide:
Quote:
Bear in mind that these are maximum ratings. The sidewall of the tire shows maximum load and minimum inflation pressure for that load.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you actually read the Michelin brochure chart on page 6 right hand column? Anyway this is going no where. You know your right, I know I am right. It is best to just drop it and give the post back to the OP.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Let's keep it civil and on-topic, folks. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All though I said this discussion was going no where, I can't resist this reply. I finely went out and took pictures of my tires. They are Continental HSR1 245/70R19.5 Load Range H. The side wall clearly states the Max load and PSI for single and dual applications, the same that Michelin does and is in their tire guide brochure. No where on my tires does it show Max load at minimum PSI. I have attached two pictures of my tire side wall rating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000323.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	34974   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000316.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	34975  

Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Im sorry I didn't get this message in earlier,,I checked the pressure on the new tires..90 in the rears and 110 in the fronts..I reduced the fronts to 90 and have a much more comfortable ride..I still have a lot of rattles I have to look for in the dash and upper compartments...just a little hard to get at,,trying to have my bride drive down the road while I search for the rattles...not fun..Happy Trails!
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
I think the TV/electronics cabinets are similar between the Dolphin and TropiCal. I got rid of a TON of rattles when I replaced the very heavy tube TV with a 42" flatscreen. I doubled the number of screws that go up through the cabinet header just inside the cabinet door, but I suspect the biggest improvement was hanging the flatscreen double-arm mount from the tubular steel coach frame. All of the weight of the old tv is now missing from the cabinets.

This made a vast improvement rolling down the road. I tell people it is now like driving your den.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote