Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #15

Having spent multiply years in EMS and been called to many wrecks I did see one that was a rapid enough deceleration with no seat belts, where 1 foot did break the lace and tear out of the shoe leaving it on the floor. I had heard of it and did not really believe it until I saw it.
I have a toyhauler but anything in the back gets extra straps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the two straps, and two chrome "U" bolts on the floor which protrude down into the basement compartment behind the front wheel. Under there are extra large washers & double nuts holding the two "U" bolts, four threaded bolt ends. Good insurance to strap em down. Not a big deal, get er done! JMHO.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
About 4 years ago, there was a set of about 25 high quality photographs of a large (40 ft. +) MH (I think Provost) after a head on with a medium size SUV. The people in the MH were OK - I think the driver had some leg injuries from the dash. But what was amazing is how all the furnature - everything including what was screw to the top/ceiling, side and floor, ripped loose and came smashing forward. It was only because of the delux cockpit chairs that the MH occupants were not killed, from behind.
If that's the one I recall (and still have most of the photos of), it was a Tiffin Phaeton head-on at highway speeds with a black SUV when the SUV was passing another vehicle on a two-lane highway. According to the dates, I downloaded the photos in June 2006. Not to minimize the damage, but in reviewing the pictures "everything" that was tied down did not come loose. Counter tops and most closed cabinets dumped their contents, drawers came out, there is a chair of some kind upside down against the back of the co-pilot chair, the driver side slide-out was jimmied out at the top, but the couch, table and other items "screwed to the floor" appear to have stayed where they belong. I have studied these pictures a lot over the years as I am amazed at how well the fiberglass coach held together (contrary to claims that a fiberglass coach cannot/will not hold together in an accident). The front was totally opened up and the steering wheel rotated outward to end up pointed in the wrong direction.

I do not want ANYTHING larger/heavier than a kleenix box not secured behind me when I am driving my coach.

AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I'll bet that box of Quaker Oats was a mess to clean up.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard View Post
We have the two straps, and two chrome "U" bolts on the floor which protrude down into the basement compartment behind the front wheel. Under there are extra large washers & double nuts holding the two "U" bolts, four threaded bolt ends. Good insurance to strap em down. Not a big deal, get er done! JMHO.
When you are right you are right---I'm adding this to my list before we head south----thanks for the nudge.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Just be aware that in a deceleration, the weight of the object doesn't determine whether or not it will move. The force applied to it is proportional to its weight and the rate of deceleration. Holding it down in normal conditions is its weight. The weight cancels out in the "will it move" calculation.

The amount of damage it will do when it hits you in the back of the head is a function of its weight.

Having done a lot of deceleration analysis for airplane crashworthiness (and seen the results of 9g decel) I would have all the furniture clamped or bolted down before moving the rig.

This was a major reason for us looking for a rig with a dinette rather than loose table and chairs.
Yes Yes Yes
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote