RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #1

Hi There,
I have a 1999 tropical and I am having trouble adjusting my slide. I did go to the power gear site and none of their tips seem to apply to my gear set up. I am having trouble when slide is in, the top coner on the right side(outside) goes in to far while the bottom is out too far.I only have 2 bolts on the far end of the slide bracket that can be losened to adjust slide. Can anybody help? I did call power gear and they also sent me to tip page.
Thanks

Joe and Renita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Joe and Renita to irv2.
The following thread may help you if your slide set up is similar. Slide adjustment
Go to bottom of post there will be pics of a slide machs and what you can adjust.
Hope it helps if not discribe the best you can what you have and we will go from there.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply,My slide is similar to the one shown on powergear tip sheet #149. It has the 2 end bolts as pictured but, there is not a jack bolt as pictured. There is also another bolt in between the 2 end bolts and not sure what is for, therefore try to mess with it. Moving the other bolts I can raise height on slide but, cannot fix the issue where the top of the side goes in to far on the right side, the bottom is flush however. My awning bar is now hitting the side of motorhome causing it to make a rubbing spot on the motorhome.
Thank you.
Joe and renita
Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have in and out stop bolts also #151 that may need to be adjusted. Are any of these bolts loose and not locked with a lock nut?
Not seeing a pic hard to picture you sound ok but top is coming in to far and bottom is not flush against wall.
I would measure the side that looks ok, against the side thats coming in to tight at top.
If slide is square the stop bolts should all measure about the same on adjustments.
http://www.powergearus.com/Admin/Tip...ile.asp?ID=348

http://www.powergearus.com/Admin/Tip...ile.asp?ID=346
Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #5

Thank you for the response. I am trying the tip sheet #70 as my rails seem to be about 3/8 different. I have failed to find any jack bolts, or stop bolts on this slide. I have taken some pictures and will try and post later. Tip sheet #70 sounds simple enough but, in reality not as simple as they make it. I ahve the inner rail disengaged from the gear but, now the trick is sliding the idler rail out the proper distance as it is attached to the entire slideout. Will update my progress and results tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Joe
Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking at this diagram the two shafts should be the same distance from there attachments.
If you have a sprocket where the drive shaft turns may only have to remove a pin to adjust the side thats not even with help pushing slide in flush to wall surface, than make all nessary adjustments.
Your height adjust bolts maybe off on high side and needs to be dropped. http://www.powergearus.com/Admin/Tip...ile.asp?ID=290
Old 12-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #7

Thanks again 007 for the input. I did get the alignment right as far as the Tip Sheet#70 stated. Also my slide is the same as pictured in tip sheet 70 only reversed.
There is a bolt head at the outside end of the rails between the two pictured bolt slots which I haven't a clue what they are for. There are not any stop bolts are jack bolts on my slide and none pictured on tip sheet 70. My problem of the outside top right of the slide going in too far so that my awning bracket hits and is rubbing the side of RV still exists. I cannot find any way to adjust the vertical where the top would lean back so bracket to clear. The other bracket clears fine on the left side top. I can raise and lower slideout by adjusting bolts at the end of the rails shown on tip sheet 70 but, cannot find anyway to adjust vertical face of the slideout. By the way I did find a hard plastic end from a broom handle that was wedged in the slide rail that probably caused it to skip a couple of teeth on the gear slide.
Thanks again for the help. Any further thoughts on the matter please advise.

Joe and Renita
and 3 cats

1999 Tropical 37'
Double slide
V10 triton
Sold our Tracker toad looking for another toad.
First Motor Home
Old 12-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Joe Just do one other thing and check under slide for rollers if you have them one maybe broken or has slipped out of its holding bracket. The awning maybe wider than the slide but never notice until you had the problem.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #9

Hey There 007,
I do have rollers and that is where I found the hard piece of plastic wedge on top of one set of rollers, holding the rail down some. I believe that is what cause the misalignment shown on tip sheet#70. I was sure that was the problem on the vertical alignment. Sad to say it was not. I have spent several hours on this project and have yet to find a solution. Cannot find any means to address the problem. Odd the left side closes fine and the right closes right at the bottom but, it seems like it is just leaning in to far at the top because the top right goes in before the bottom does causeing the misalignment.
I am going to call powergear one more time but, my last conversation with them was sending me to the tip sheet site which I had already went there before the phone call. Hate to admit defeat but, it seems I will have to put my self at the mercy of the rv repair shop. Which I try to avoid like the plague.
Thanks again,
Joe and Renita
Old 12-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will say its not a Power Gear problem but the MFG builder of your coach the slide box may not be square and they would have to correct. Maybe why that shim is in place on one of the rollers.
See as National is no longer there are some private RV SERVICE centers that may help you.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #11

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all

Joe and Renita
Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #12

Just an update on slide out problem from Dec 07.
$4000.00 later Rv still in shop. Largest dealer in Nokomis fl has given me nothing but the blues. fist it was weather seal replacement which I knew wasn't the problem, on to new rails and still not fixed. I have taken it back now for the 4th time and they are saying the only fix is a new roller style system. Strange it worked ok except for the adjustment needed,now after they are finished I supposely need new type of slide system. They are saying National is notorious for slide problems. Anyone one having problems with their slides. 1999 Tropical 6371 This is my Kitchen, Living Room slide.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 05:37 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I gotta ask. Why are you paying for repairs that are not fixing the problem?
I had a problem with our lounge slide not opening properly when we first bought the coach. I simple adjustment to the "stop" on the rack solved the problem. What exactly is happening with your?
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sorry to say this to ya Joe, but, that dealer has found a meal ticket. National has never been notorious for slide issues, quite the contrary. These guys have no clue what they are doing. Remember that BIG does not always mean good when it comes to repair shops.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote