RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Soft Floor in 2006 Dolphin bath hall

Couldn't find a thread related to floor repair/problems, so I thought I'd ask this question. One spot in the floor is soft and bends when stepped on. On this 06 Dolphin, the spot is located right before you step on to the bedroom carpet. I can feel the floor support and the adjacent softness. I have no odors and when I removed the sticky tile, the plywood is dry and appears normal....just soft. I've done a water pressure test, looking for leaks...looks fine. I know that the black tank is located under the floor in this area, but a view of the area via removal of water access panel in the basement shows it all to be dry....at least what a person can see.

Before I drill an inspection hole in the floor, I thought I'd ask the forum, looking for someone familiar with this area.

Regards, Dave Ross

daveross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you decide to drill an inspection hole in the floor be sure you don't drill an "inspection hole" in the tank too!!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have seen bad plywood in the old days in boats, an inspection hole would tell a lot.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
I have seen bad plywood in the old days in boats, an inspection hole would tell a lot.
Yep, could easily be a "blow". Meaning the plywood doesn't have the correct number of plies in that area. Friend used to work in a plywood company and that was their terminology for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Could also be dry rot from previous water spills. If so, you'll have to replace at least that section. I had to replace the whole floor and build new bracing to hold it. Before you drill that hole, open the basement section directly beneath the bath (held closed by a couple of screws under the bottom lip). You may learn much by that inspection.
Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you say the inspection area under the bath...did you mean under the commode/toilet? I do have a black plastic cover in that vicinity in one of the compartments that has a couple of screws and some black foam caulk keeping it all nice and tight...Is that what you're referring to?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry about the lack of clarity. I meant have a look see and a poke-the-underside of the floor in the compartment below the toilet. That way you'll have a better understanding of the damage before you drill any holes. Dry rot in the toilet floor occurrs from overflow due to a sticking flush valve. Not fun. I wish you well.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
daveross,
You will need to remove the black cover to see the under side of the floor.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was finally able to gain access to the area below the floor. Removing the black plastic and special wall in the basement area in front of the right wheel well, gave me a clear view of the area that appears to be soft.

Turns out that there are no leaks and no water damage, just poorly supported floor. Surprised to see that the floor is just compressed styrofoam with a laminated top and bottom 1/8" (at the most) plywood covering. Probably makes a strong floor but it seems to have it's weak points.

Looks like the simplest remedy will be to add a new floor covering to keep from eventually stepping through the area in the bathroom where it really gives.

Thanks for the help, suggestions and comments.

Dave Ross
2006 National Dolphin
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to see it was not rotten, must of been fun to access.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the floor is in good condition, just weak on structural support, can you see a way to add some more structural support? Just wondering if that might be the simplest and possibly the best way to deal with this?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
daveross,
Take a look at the floor under the bed that is not covered with carpet. My floor is 3/4 plywood national also used MFG. wood. When I took the factory tour they had stacks of wood for the floors at the first station after all the metal floor structure was finished. The floor is attached to the floor beams with Huck Blind Bolts the same that they use in aircraft manufacturing.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turns out that the soggy area is right on top of the black tank on the aft end and gray tank on the forward end. Without removing those tanks, it would be hard to get any room to slip in some sort of wood support. There are two pieces of channel type support bars, four feet apart, running fore and aft and supported by a few pillars surrounding other functional areas, but I don't see any joices as I expected.. If they had one more running down the middle, or had some channel support running between the existing channels, it would have prevented the problem.

In regards to my comment on the make-up of the floor, I could see how it was made where they cut a hole for the vent and tank pipes to go through it. They also used the same material for one of the removable side panels where I was able to remove it for inspection.

I will take a look under the bed to see if I can see the reference to 3/4 inch plywood. It wasn't difficult gaining access to these areas, once I was confident that Iwasn't getting into an area that I couldn't undo.

Dave Ross.......
Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So two options come to mind. Either remove the tanks to gain access to the underside of the floor so that more structural support can be installed for the floor sheeting, or work from up top to replace the soggy floor sheeting.

Either option sounds like a bit of a project.

I have heard of a treatment that when soaked into soggy plywood solidifies it. I've heard that it's common in marine applications. I've never used it, and I do not remember the name.

Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin