Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solar original panel help

Just bought a national tropical 396 and the solar panel when it was purchase new is bad
want to up grade to a100 watt paper work said it was a 40 watt can I replace it with a 12v 100watt or 18v do I need to put the other 40 watt back or upgrade to a new controller/
cricket2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What are the specs of the existing controller?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
solar panel

that is my issue it came with it new and I do not have that information except it did say that a 40watt solar was the option it is hooked through the power board but only shows on with a green light
Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
solar panel in national tropical original

I am hoping someone has the information on what rally came with this unit also the panel has too many cells to be a 40 watt may have been replaceced before
Old 04-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

The critical issue is not the wattage of the existing panel, it's the capacity of the existing controller and the gauge of the wiring. Ten gauge wiring would be the minimum you'll need. I also suggest sizing your wiring and controller for expansion so you can add additional panels if you desire to do so in the future. There is a lot of info on this forum about these issues.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at the link below, I would remove the 40 watt panel, I do not think you have a controller from the factory and the existing wiring may not be of the correct size for a larger panel.. I have been very happy with my 100 watt kit.
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-wa...-solar-rv-kit/
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
If your 07 is like my 02 the panels are on the AC covers and just wired into the 12 volt system in each A/C opening. They have no controller. In my opinion they didn’t do much of anything besides make a spot to leak water where they put the wire under the seal of the A/C units.
We got a leak about 1 month ago at both units and when I pulled them to replace the seals the leak was right where the wire went under the seal.
I cut and capped the wires inside the enclosure and cut the wire on the panel short enough it wouldn’t flap in the wind.
Best of luck!
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I have a 2006 Tropical. The 40 watt panel was toast and I removed it and sealed the mounting holes. If you reinstall any other solar panels, you will need to install a charge controller and abandon the existing wiring. I am in the process of adding a 400 watt system from renogy.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The original solar panel was only a trickle charger to maintain the batteries while in storage.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #10

Given the vintage if there was an original charge controller, chances are it was a simple shunt style unit, modern low end charge controllers are far more efficient PWM controllers, with more and more better setups having even more efficient MPPT controllers.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #11

I think you have your answer. And, if you are going to install new panels, wiring and controller, I suggest you install a minimum of 200w as a start. Also, check out Home Depot's prices on solar panel kits but make sure the controller included in the kit is sized to accommodate additional panels. If not, forego the kit and buy the panels and controller separately.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
thanks guys I will remove this piece of junk and install 400 watt with a new controller
great information love it here
Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket2386 View Post
thanks guys I will remove this piece of junk and install 400 watt with a new controller
great information love it here
Good plan, but don't forget the new wiring. I doubt the existing wiring is up to the task.

Tags
panel, solar