Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Spare parts Kit

Hey all,

Thanks for you time. I am new to RVing and recently purchase a 2004 Tropical 370. I am trying to put together a spare parts kits....so I go to the pros. What kind of things do you folks carry that you have found useful/essential in your travels? What kind of multimeter do you carry? Etc...

I appreciate your help.

John Parker
tropicaljpgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
John, it’s really a wild guess trying to carry “spare” parts. I maintain hand tools, along with a drill, grinder, and saber saw. The only items that might be considered spares are light bulbs, a good assortment of fuses, sealant, Eternabond tape and a good epoxy.

If things get real serious, there wouldn’t have been any way I could have carried everything.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

Don't forget the ductape...
charliebebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #4

1) engine belts
2) multi-purpose relays & solenoids in capacities likely to be used on your rig (30, 40 & 50A generic Bosch type relays, 5 or more of the 30's which are ubiquitous on most rigs; Cole Hersee #24059 makes a good generic solenoid buy from RyderFleetProducts.com; may also need spare charging solenoid if rig is so equipped)
3) Mulit-meters:
...a) good digital, I have a Fluke87 which is overkill but it works, Craftsman has a couple of good ones, expect to pay near $100
...b) RadioShack analog- sometimes the needle is better than the numeral readout (flashing circuits) or I need a second, expect to pay $25
...c) Power Probe III (google) which is rapidly becoming my favorite because of its excellent diagnostic options; also the piercing probe ends (I bought the kit that has two sizes of piercing type) are the best I've seen, good kit ~$150. Great for finding a short or powering a low amp 12V device to test it, has tones for 12V & ground, slick gizmo
4) 36"x175# zip ties, 14" standard zip ties (buy the latter @ HD or Lowes in the 500 count bag- you'll use them like they only cost 3 cents each, cuz they do, and if you buy them in this quantity you don't feel bad about not reaching for a shorter one- just cut off the excess (I'm not really sure why they even make 7" and 11")
5) stainless steel tie wire (Harbor Freight)
6) assortment of spade, ring, & butt press type wire terminals, w/a good electrical pliers that has cutters and a high quality press form; I buy the good terminals @ my local Fastenal, they carry quality stuff. Wire nuts assorted sizes, dozen each size incl. the bitty ones which are really handy. 18, 14 12, & 10ga wire, 25' of each should get you thru most emergencies, black is fine if you deal w/the color when you get home or somewhere you can do a proper color-coded job (you can buy blue, yellow, white & purple electrical tape & wrap black wire @ ends & exposed places so your first repair is permanent). If you are the meticulous sort, go to Uline.com and order the 1000ct bag of S-7747 "ID Ties" and take an ultra-fine Sharpie permanent marker; when you encounter a circuit that was a PITA to isolate, wrap the wire & mark its circuit on the tag (after you've been at this for a while, and you re-visit a marked circuit you will see the genius of it).
7) X-Treme tape, Scotch brand electrical tape in black, red & green (w/the cheap brands the stickup cooks in the hot sun and makes a snotty mess, Scotch's stickup holds up better; get the big roll in the plastic tupperware-like container to keep it from attracting dirt)
8) motor & trans oil, coolant, distilled water for topping off machinery & batteries (or go AGMs & forget the distilled water), chassis hydraulic oil if rig is so equipped
9) spare batteries for flashlights, FRS radios, clocks, smoke detector, blah, blah, blah
10) water filters
11) plug ends for vital electrical cords (sooner or later you will meet a pedestal that heats up & ruins your plug end & you'll wish you had a ready spare
12) house water pump (I have mine installed w/flex lines ready to plumb/wire over when the main pump chokes; only needed it once so far, but went coupla weeks on the spare no problem & replaced the main at a good price when a bargain presented; spare doesn't have to be high dollar, just needs to pump when you want water)
13) fuses of every description used on your rig, fuse tester (GM type can be bought in a kit w/a lotta GM fuses) or use your MM or Power Probe
15) spare bulbs for all lights; HWH (or PowerGear or other) o-rings for hydraulic slide solenoid valves; spare solenoid valve
16) dielectric grease, JB Weld, non-JB epoxy, red Loctite, blue Loctite, contact cement, light machine oil in pin-point oiler, WD-40 or eq, molybdenum grease in a squeeze tube, NSF approved silicone grease, Anti-seize (I carry a dry stick type for threads which is less messy than liquid, & a brush-applied paste type w/copper shavings in it for electrical connections that need corrosion protection)
17) OBD2 engine code reader/analyzer, coach engine computer software/laptop (gettin a little spendy here, so this is optional unless you are traveling in Mexico where a full breakdown is going to be a weeks-long ordeal otherwise)
18) flange nuts from 1/4-20 to 5/8-11 (more universal than regular nuts), jamb nuts in same size ranges, lock nuts in same sizes, 3/8 1/2 and 5/8 coupler nuts if you plan any remodeling in the basement (in which case some 3/8 and 1/2 allthread also)
19) spare hitch pin (I carry 5/8-11 x 5" bolt as it can double for other uses)

That oughta get you started ;-)
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Get a couple of shear pins for the bedroom slide. You will probably need them sooner or later.
Always carry spare fuel filters.
I carry an Ideal multi meter which I think I purchased at Home Depot for around $90.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Or you can join Coach Net.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, Fred and Brian (or Loretta) etal,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the time it took you to put all of this down. I will use it as a shopping list. There is so much for a newbie to know, this definitely makes it simpler. I knew the "email-a-friend" options would get me going. You guys are great.

Thank you again.

John Parker
tropicaljpgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just bought an '01 7390 LTC and was wondering about getting a set of 1/2 inch sockets.I do have a good 1/2" breaker bar and torque wrench. I will be buying a new set of 3/8" standard and do I need to get metrics also? I do have an assortment of tools from my trailer,so at leasst I have a start. I'll probably throw out some of it and start from scratch on some things like the elec connectors,light bulbs,fuses,etc.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Bigdog; if you do, just get a cheap set to throw in. I have had a set of 1/2 " for over 40 years and have hardly used them in the last 10 or so. Some times I wonder why I carry so many tools but you never know what you will need. Had to buy a jig saw to cut into the bottom of a cabinet this trip so I could fix a leaking pipe. It's always something.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spare door keys in a magnetic box stationed outside, and spare ignition key somewhere inside!
Roll'n Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man this thing has more keys than Carter has pills.There are three ignition keys,6 compartment keys,8 door keys as there are 4 for the top lock and four for the bottom lock (may change that set-up) two coke keys for the gen compartment and two fuel keys.
The main reason I have any 1/2" tools is for the trailer hitch and the torque wrench.The big bolts on the hitch need over 150# of torque and the wheels on the trailer need to be checked all the time even though I have never found a loose lug nut in 9 years of pulling the last two trailers.Drove a school bus for over ten years and never had one there either,BUT I always checked !!!!!!!
Gonna head out today and get a stock of light bulbs,fuses and other miscellaneous electrical parts.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote