Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Sea Breeze with two slides. The main slide goes in and out very quietly and with little apparent effort. The bedroom slide is a different story. It squeals like a dying pig, and is jerky. The sheer pin on the motor broke once already, likely due to the resistance of the slide.

It looks like the slide is simply a square steel frame that runs over white nylon blocks. I've put dry lube and even rubbed some wax on the contact surface of the steel frame, but no luck.

Any ideas?
psyflyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Lots of discussion on this subject here. Go to Find feature and do a search for bedroom slide. That will get you started.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had my RV to National in Lakeland, FL, a few years ago, the tech. Waxed the bottom of the slide with a good car wax and the squeak stop. He said to do it about every six months, paying attention to the rub mark areas on the bottom of the slide.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I am not sure how your slide is constructed; mine slides on Teflon blocks under the bed. I use Silicon spray on the blocks when it starts squealing.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
First, have you checked the slide itself as to any resistance. To do this, release the electric brake or what ever it takes for manual operation and see how it works. I'm already suspecting that the racket and jerking is coming from the power gearbox itself, not from slide resistance.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #6

I have a 2004 6342 Dolphin, with the bed/closet slide, my slide would scream and protest, and shear the pins on the drive gear. I tired wax silicone lube, complaining to National nothing worked. With the drive gear pin sheared the slide moves freely in and out. My drive gear assembly has three bronze bushing on the final drive horizontal shaft that runs parrallel to the slide wall. It is tha shaft with the shear pin that breaks when the slide binds. I took apart my drive assembly and checked the alighment with the slide. The bushings that support the shaft as it turns were not bored in a straight line. The bronze bushing closest to the front of the coach was creating excessive pressure on the slide by pushing up on the gear drive track undr the bed. I removed one of the bushings, the one under the track closest to the front of the coach and the slide is a quiet. The shaft can flex (slightly) now and folow the drive track. Not sure if there will be long term issues with the bushing removal but it works great, no noise and the pins do not shear anymore. I am not recommending this solution, just thought this might help someone else looking for a another place to look for a solution besides slathering goo under your slide.
dsymms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Squeeky slide

My bedroom slideout was very noisy, squeals, and jerks. I took it to a local RV dealer and they polished and waxed the bottom of the slideout. That was two years ago, and it continues to slide smoothly.
lascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
06 Dolphin with bedroom slide that squeaks occasionally. National tech at Quartzsite back in 2006 told me to use a bar of soap to rub on area (3 rollers) the goes over the white teflon rollers. I keep one handy in the cabinet right inside by the stairwell. Probably have to use it a couple of times a year. Mine is a bar of Ivory.