Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Stale Gas

New Member, old coach...
Actually it is my Mom and Dad's but Dad died, Mom can't drive it, so I've been trying to fix it up.

It sat for too long and I was told the gas is now stale. Did a MAJOR tune up, won't start, so he concluded it was the gas. Is there a way to see if the engine will run (if it had a carburetor, I know what to do, but what do you do with fuel rails)?

Conversely, I tried lowering the beast of a gas tank and pumping out the gas, but only got about 12 gallons out, because I ruined some of the rubber lines, I can't get new gas in. So I have to do that as well now.

Is there a "proper" way to get the old gas out, there are a number of strange fittings coming off of this thing, including a big plastic piece that hangs down off a bracket at the back of the tank.

It is a National TropiCal- 1997, GM 454 Engine. Any help would be appreciated~ The McGrath's would appreciate it!!

Jim

jsmcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcol View Post
New Member, old coach...
Actually it is my Mom and Dad's but Dad died, Mom can't drive it, so I've been trying to fix it up.

It sat for too long and I was told the gas is now stale. Did a MAJOR tune up, won't start, so he concluded it was the gas. Is there a way to see if the engine will run (if it had a carburetor, I know what to do, but what do you do with fuel rails)?

Conversely, I tried lowering the beast of a gas tank and pumping out the gas, but only got about 12 gallons out, because I ruined some of the rubber lines, I can't get new gas in. So I have to do that as well now.

Is there a "proper" way to get the old gas out, there are a number of strange fittings coming off of this thing, including a big plastic piece that hangs down off a bracket at the back of the tank.

It is a National TropiCal- 1997, GM 454 Engine. Any help would be appreciated~ The McGrath's would appreciate it!!

Jim

The big black tank may be the fuel charcoal canister.

wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

Does the fuel tank have a plug on the bottom?

Can you identify which fuel line is the fuel supply to the engine? Since that line sucks from the bottom of the tank it would be the best one to use.

Can you siphon from the gas filler hose. I assume that hose is one you broke?

How much gasoline do you think is in there?

BE VERY CAREFUL. EVEN STALE GASOLINE CAN BE EXPLOSIVE!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Funny you mention stale gas. Just this weekend had a gas generator that wouldn't start. Drained all the old gas out, put in new gas and it immediately fired up. The crap they sell today just won't last that long without additives and even then, only so long.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #5

Interesting. I've had gas sit for two years and still fire
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

Depends where in the country the gas was bought...That gas tank probably has an in-tank pump....disconnect line at filter and cycle the key to on...
Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #7

thanks for the suggestions guys...
Gas is probably 3-4 yrs old, always put sta-bil in it, but I know there is only so much that stuff can do.

I can't find a plug at the bottom of the tank, that would be too easy...
I tried siphoning out of the filler nozzle originally, didn't want to snake in that far, plus I didn't have anything that long originally.

Like the suggestion to pull the line at the fuel filter and turn the key on, I assume I would have to keep doing that as there is probably a sensor that stops the flow of fuel if the engine isn't running.

Is there a way to do that same thing and keep it going until it pulls everything it can out of the tank? The tank appears to have been put in place, then at the factory, they welded brackets on that would have to be cut off to take the tank out. This is also why I can't lower the tank very much, a real PITA! Who designed this stuff?

Any other suggestions? It is stored at a cottage an hour away, so lining up things I can try for the next trip there. Wanted to take my Mom for a ride in it this summer. Don't know how many more she will have.

Jim
jsmcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Pick up a cheap pump and pump the gas out via hose. I've done that to move oil from one oil tank to another. It may trash the pump, but if it's cheap, it won't matter.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcol View Post
thanks for the suggestions guys...
Gas is probably 3-4 yrs old, always put sta-bil in it, but I know there is only so much that stuff can do.

I can't find a plug at the bottom of the tank, that would be too easy...
I tried siphoning out of the filler nozzle originally, didn't want to snake in that far, plus I didn't have anything that long originally.

Like the suggestion to pull the line at the fuel filter and turn the key on, I assume I would have to keep doing that as there is probably a sensor that stops the flow of fuel if the engine isn't running.

Is there a way to do that same thing and keep it going until it pulls everything it can out of the tank? The tank appears to have been put in place, then at the factory, they welded brackets on that would have to be cut off to take the tank out. This is also why I can't lower the tank very much, a real PITA! Who designed this stuff?

Any other suggestions? It is stored at a cottage an hour away, so lining up things I can try for the next trip there. Wanted to take my Mom for a ride in it this summer. Don't know how many more she will have.

Jim
I doubt there is a owner in this group that hasn't asked that very same question at one time or another!!!!

Once again a warning. Gasoline, even old stale gas, is extremely flammable and explosive. Be very very careful. Just a static spark, or a spark from a wire can cause a great big "cookout" with you in it.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #10

There is no sensor that would stop flow......at the end of the fuel rail, is a pressure regulator......it keeps pressure in the rails for the injectors,and sends the excess back to the tank......

Tags
gas