RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Step cover not working

Awhile ago my step cover on my '01 Tradewinds LTC stopped working and I can't figure it out. There is power to the wires,but the motor won't even click. I don't know how to get to the motor as It seems to be somewhere under the drivers seat. I did get a new switch and was very careful to mark the wires when I took them off to go get the new switch,but there is a possibility that I got them back on wrong. Can someone with the same setup check their switch and let me know what wires go where. I have really searched the wiring diagram,but there doesn't seem to be any such thing.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, I finally got out to check everything again and it seems as if all the switch has power in and out. Also checked the fuse and found that the previous owner had stuck a 30 in a 15 slot and so now I'm thinking that the motor has burned out and didn't blow the fuse.
I don't know what the guy was thinking as I have found several places where the fuses were of higher amps than what was called for.
Now,the big question is.....Does anyone know how to access the slide cover motor,which,I understand is under the drivers seat somewhere??

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Outside streetside forward compartment- look on the ceiling of that and see if you can see the box that holds the motor.- should have some screws holding it to ceiling
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nope... Flat ceiling.The drivers seat is actually a little behind that compartment. If it's not raining tomorrow,I'm going to go look in the propane compartment,but I think that's too far back.
I'm getting new rear Toyo's on saturday and I'll see if they'll let me borrow a creeper after their done and slide under the front end.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well.I put air in the system and raised the mh and put the front jacks down and chocked the rear wheels,spread the tarp and slid underneath her this afternoon. Guess what,I couldn't seem to find anything that looks as if it could be a box or motor,sooooo it looks as if it is above the gennie and under the dash somewhere around the foot pedals and I'll probably have to pull the carpet to get to it.
Gave everything else a good look over,or was that an under,and it all looks good. I'm thinking that I'm gonna mebbee be changing the front shocks real soon,mebbee before we take off for Vegas in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #6

I bet it is on the roof of generator compartment.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gonna go and check that right now. thanks,as I was reading that,I thought that mebbee there was some room above the gennie to move around in. Don't want to have to pull the gennie tho. It's s'posed to be on a slide,but it isn't.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #8

Under the step cover between the middle step and the cover the back panel can be removed. That is how you get to my motor. Pack rats got into mine and had to rewire it.
bhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Went back up and got the flasklight and showed it in the little hole where the slide shaft comes out and sure enuff,there was the motor.. About 3-4' back. Okay !!!! tried to get into it,but no way was that gonna happen as the slide is stuck in the closed position and you can't get to the motor unless you get the slide out. Bummer..I think you can take the slide off of the bracket,but you have to do it blind and it's behind the wall. Oh well,I guess that the DW is just going to have to remember not to step straight ahead from her seat.. It was kind of a bummer before tho as she'd slide it closed and when we would stop,she'd forget it was closed and I would have to remind her to open it. Problem with that is that she hates to be reminded to do something and the reverse is that she is always reminding me about things.. Oh well...
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

How about some photos?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well, I went back out and checked into the gennie place and there is no way that you can access it from there.I'm still thinking that you gotta pull the carpet and then there may be a floor board that lifts. OR NOT I did get some pix of the stepwell job that I did by getting some really good plywood,cutting it,staining it and then putting several coats of GOOD varnish on it. Also was able to get the phone into the slot and got a couple of the motor. I'll post those when I can figger out how to get them off my phone.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #12

step cover

We had our step cover on 07 Pacifica stuck in the retracted position. We thought we had elec motor problems but the cover gets stuck if opened to far. With Pliers I grab the end of the big (about 1" round) screw under the cover while sitting on the steps and twist 1/4 turn clockwise to free it. Than hit the switch and its freed up. Were carefull not to open it too far or hard. The dealer said this is common problem.

I did see a trop cal that had a step problem and the shop had the floor cut out to fix it. The mechanic shop that had it apart was at Sunland sales in
Glendale Az. His name is Mark @ 623. 915.1663. Mark has his own shop there and does good work.

Mike
MBMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, I think got it figgered out on the pix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130315_215304.png
Views:	42
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	34977
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130315_215319.png
Views:	51
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	34978  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
nope, I can't get anything,including my hand,in that opening to do anything. I think that I'm just going to get a 1/2" piece of plywood,cover it with carpet and drop it over the hole when we're traveling and then it can be stored behind her seat when not in use. There is a lot of difference in the noise and temp level when you don't have one.
It looks as if I'm going to have to clean the carpet also.