Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill WA6YBD View Post
Like everyone is saying, try all the easy stuff first.

Take a real hard look at the wiring. Look for any corrosion inside the connectors and most important check the big ground wire connections at the chassis. Might even remove the screw and lug and wire brush the connector and spot on the chassis where they normally meet. A bad or corroded connection will lower the voltage to the motor and the motor will lose power.

You might even try disconnecting the motor from the controller and wire it directly to a battery with reasonable size wire say #12AWG. Connecting it one way will cause the steps to move in one direction then reversing the connections will cause the steps to go in the other direction. If the steps appear to work properly (full travel) the motor is probably OK. But remember with this test there is no shut off at the end of the travel so you must be ready to disconnect the battery when the steps reach the end of travel.

Be very, very, CAREFUL when working on the steps! There is a tremendous amount of power available and one could easily lose a finger or worse.

~Bill

Well it's 4 degrees outside this morning so no repair is going to happen today.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
FYI.. My first motorhome the steps went bad, just like you said,after we used the steps a few times with the step not fully open against a curb.

In the directions they say don't step on the step if it is not fully opened.
I ended up replacing the whole step assembly and it worked good for next 12 years that we owned the motorhome.

Ever since then we make sure to never step on the step if it is not fully exteneded.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I guess I'll have to look at that. I hope it's salvageable. So maybe the step linkage might be tweaked just enough to cause the problem. I'll check that out thanks for that info.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I believe this is same window motor can be purchased at Autozone for $41.99 ACI Auto/Window Lift Motor 83292 - Read Reviews on ACI Auto #83292
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Have you tried pushing the step in with your foot as it retracts?? Our's did this until I used a spray cleaner (brake clean) and then sprayed on a product called Fluid Film, it's usually sold at John Deere shops, but is now at Lowes. Sprayed it on in Nov 2014, still retracting today even in freezing weather.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you check the owners manual, You will find that Quickee calls for lubing the steps every 30 days. I never had a customer in 15 years that did that. I have worked on dozens and dozens of steps. Most of the time the problem was rust and dried grease. (CRUD) I sprayed the hinge points with WD40. More as a cleaner than a lubricant. Work the steps several times. Respray and work again. After a week, clean the area and lube with spray grease. You MUST get under the motorhome and clean and lube the pivot points under the steps.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steps won't retract all the way

Steps did finally retract with a little lubricating and lifting of the bottom step while helping it close. It still would not close completely after trying it a second time or two. At least now I can drive it up to my storage facility and get it out of my driveway for now. Thanks for all the help!

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Good, now you know all pivot points need to be cleaned good. Drop into Walmart and get a can or two of Brake Clean spray in the Automotive area. Get down on a warm day and spray the heck out of each pivot point. Let it dry for a few hours, then using Fluid Film in a gray can (available at Lowes $9.99) spray each pivot point. Fire the MH up and open and close the door a few times so the stairs can move in and out. If need be use your ball of your feet to help it move up. Then get down and spray the pivot points again if needed.

I did this to my stairs in Nov 2014 and they still go in and out real easy. Even in below freezing weather.

p.s. if you can't locate the Fluid Film locally, it's available on Amazon.com Great product.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps