Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #1

Steps won't retract on my 2006 National Doplhin 5335 V-10 Ford

I have just bought a 2006 National Dolphin 5335 with a Ford V-10 and the steps are stuck in the down position and won't retract. I don't know if it is a fuse that has blown, but when I turn on the ignition I don't hear the steps even trying to cycle. I have also tried using the override switch on the left side entry, but no luck there either. Could some one please tell me where I can find the fuses for the steps? I have looked at the main fuse box panel mid way of the coach and only see a large black panel at the bottom with several fuses, but none look blown and none seem to be accessible. Any ideas where else to look for fuses or help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first motorhome and I am a complete rookie.
Thanks
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

I have had this issue on three motorhomes, and I have never known where the fuse was! In every case, it was the external wiring - either the multi-connector or the ground wire. I cleaned up the connections and was fine.

I hope this helps. Keep firmly in mind that the step could activate during your repairs. Pull the pin from the arm so you won't lose an arm!

Matt B
Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Trouble with the retractable step.

I have a 1997 Dolphin 36' I have had trouble with mine at one time or another.
If the switch on the side entrance is on that the first place to look.
The seconded place would be to check the side of the door those small magnets in planted in the door control the opening.
It is a loop if the electrics is broken the switch will not work.
I have had trouble with both situation.
Once I got to close to a high curb and when I open the door, well you can figure that one out.
Just a thought.
Lots of luck.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
With our 06 it was ground and the multi pin molex connector. Take ground loose cleanup and tighten.
on the plug I opened it put dielectric grease in the holes plugged back together and threaded a tie - wrap around to hold it tightly together.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #5

On our Sea View the fuse was in the line near the motor under the motorhome. We replaced the magnet and the fuse but finally gave up and just had the motor replaced which was the problem.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

I had just fixed mine if they are quikee steps, just pull the plug going directly into the motor put a test light or meter across the Red and Yellow wire at contacts inside incoming wiring plug and open and close door to see if you have any incoming voltage if you do then I think you need to remove motor and clean the commutator where the brushes run on the copper collectors. I did this and now my steps work fine if you need more help reply to post.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #7

Problems with Steps

I have a Tradewinds 39 DP which had a step problem for a few months after we had just purchase it, I could not figure out what was going on and after going thru the entire system even replacing the step with new gearbox and motor it would still not work, I then got back into the system and had found that the fuse (which was good ) wasn't making a complete contact on the circuit board to give the step motor a complete 12 volts. I would suggest first to look is at your fuse to see if there is any corrosion on the spades and then at the connections on the panel making sure they are tight, mine had both problems now my step works better than ever. I found that my panel uses a small clip connection for the fuse and then has a metal piece around that clip and if the fuse isn't touching both ends you won't get the 12 volts needed for the step also vibration is a big factor make sure it's firm when you plug in the fuse and touching both ends. You'll be surprise what 12 volts will do. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #8

Problems with Steps

I have a Tradewinds 39 DP which had a step problem for a few months after we had just purchase it, I could not figure out what was going on and after going thru the entire system even replacing the step with new gearbox and motor it would still not work, I then got back into the system and had found that the fuse (which was good ) wasn't making a complete contact on the circuit board to give the step motor a complete 12 volts. I would suggest first to look is at your fuse to see if there is any corrosion on the spades and then at the connections on the panel making sure they are tight, mine had both problems now my step works better than ever. I found that my panel uses a small clip connection for the fuse and then has a metal piece around that clip and if the fuse isn't touching both ends you won't get the 12 volts needed for the step also vibration is a big factor make sure it's firm when you plug in the fuse and touching both ends. You'll be surprise what 12 volts will do. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #9

Steps Won't Retract On Dolphin

Richard,
Could you please tell me where the fuse was located?
Thanks
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Easy fix - I'll swap you my 2004 Seabreeze for your Dolphin...step fixed!! (tongue firmly planted in cheek!)
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

Hi,
if it is quikee step, I have had them stick several times. The first time I called a moble tech who came to the house. He took a rubber mallet and hit the gear/electrical box. The steps worked right after that. He explained the brushes sometimes misalign and whacking them sets them straight( I'm paraphrasing here). I have had the steps stick twice since and whacked them into working both times.
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 AM   #12

Steps won't retract

dlduck;

My fuse was located at f25 (15amp) on my main fuse panel which has the white/yellow wire going to the plug on the circuit board its located at the rear of my MotorHome in the right side compartment with the inverter and other electronics, remember this on a DP. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you haven't fixed it yet try, in the battery compartment under the step, there are three circuit breakers that the battery cables connect to, check to see if one of them are tripped. should have a small RED lever sticking out of it, push it in and you should be good.
I just purchased a new/old 2008 (10700 miles) and I was messing with the batteries and tripped the breaker, not knowing the step didn't go back in, we left the campground, luckily we were notified by someone stopped on the side of the road only a couple hundred feet from the CG.
Hope this fixes your problem.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, national, steps