Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still Leaking

I have been fighting this leak for some time. Right front corner. started as a small damp spot on the carpet. now it has rotted out some of the wood in the side. I have cleaned the weep holes, caulked (Rv caulk) the window frame, the windshield rubber, the outside trim where the upper body and lower body meet caulk around the outside mirror and the clearance lights. I used eternabond from roof to gutters and on top of the front cap.
My next thought is to redo the putty around the side window. So how heavy is this window, can I handle the window if DW unscrews it..
Any ides appreciated. I will try to post two pictures??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0006.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	564.7 KB
ID:	20452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0008.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	20453  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I have been fighting this leak for some time. Right front corner. started as a small damp spot on the carpet. now it has rotted out some of the wood in the side. I have cleaned the weep holes, caulked (Rv caulk) the window frame, the windshield rubber, the outside trim where the upper body and lower body meet caulk around the outside mirror and the clearance lights. I used eternabond from roof to gutters and on top of the front cap.
My next thought is to redo the putty around the side window. So how heavy is this window, can I handle the window if DW unscrews it..
I don't think the water is coming from the outside. I bet it is coming from A/C evaporator which is behind the black plastic cover in your 1 st pic.
This is often caused by moisture (condensation) from the CHASSIS A/C evaporator, what is likely happening is that the drain hole for the chassis A/C evaporator is plugged and instead of the water draining to the outside (to the ground) it is backing up into the passenger compartment. check to see if the drain is plugged.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

I have the almost the same window on my 2000 Sea Breeze. I have a leak when it rains. The leak is along the bottom of the sliding window. The rubber weather stripping on the frame does not make enough contact with the glass. I tried all I know to fix it, even pulled the weather stripping and tried to bend the channel it mounts in towards the window. It still leaks a little. My solution is a strip of electrical tape on the glass and weather stripping. Easy on and easy off.
The window is probably a Hehr 5668. I tried to get a length of the vent seal. Even though I can get it by the foot the smallest length is 20 feet @ $5.50 a foot.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I had similar leak in front of the passenger chair and under the passenger window, I had a pressure test done and found an awning mount to be the culprit, it was a very small spot but the damage looks similar to yours.It was the lower forward most mount
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you, thank you
Benny, you are talking about the rubber "boot" that AC water drains from? Had that problem on a car once.. Checked the boot and it is OK also this happens all winter when not using MH. Thanks
Gary, I think you may have it. I read an old post about this. they say Pelland sells this "felt" 800-216-2786 EX 104. I have not called but might next week. Electrical tape I have.. so you just taped the bottom part of the glass to the frame? You would think that the weep holes would take care of this water.. I plan to try tape today.
Thewells,, Thanks for the idea. but my awning is back behind another window and even the entry door, but I have read about awning mounts leaking. i did check mine and they are riveted, not sure how I would caulk them I guess just all the way around the mounting posts.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

I had a leak in the same place. If your side windows are fogged up that could be the problem. I replaced the window and my leaked stopped.
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ricky, Thanks. The windows were fogged two years ago when we bought it but the seller had them fixed..I gotta go look at the window this morning, Still tring to visualise why the weep holes do not drain the water out?? I must be just think headed.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Don,
I just went through a very similar situation. Your RV and mine look the same. I have a 2002 Dolphin. I had rotted (soft to the touch) panel under passenger window. Two weekends ago I took on the "big project"

1. I removed passenger seat and seatbelts

2. I removed all rotted wood

3. I water tested the area once it was open with a garden hose. I did get the window to leak from the top (although the water leaked out from the bottom)

4. I couldn't remove window, but I was able to pry away from wall and get sealant behind the flanges

5. I made a new plywood panel and covered it with the same vinyl that I have on the valance area above the window

You wouldn't know I did a repair in this area. I did make a panel for the drivers side to "balance" the look and my wife and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I will be enternabonding the the roof cap seams this weekend and adding rv gutters around the front portion of the coach...

These windows are made to hold some water (silly but true). The weepholes allow the water to escape, so unless you see the water overflowing on the inside, this is not your leak.

Good luck...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thewellz Opps, so sorry I just looked at my picture. It could be the awning mount. I did look at that once. I thought I could just loosen, then caulk then tighten it back, but mine are riveted to the body. So do I just caulk all around the mounting posts?? any ideas.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Soreco thanks for the ideas. Looks like I have my to do list for this weekend.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you, thank you
Benny, you are talking about the rubber "boot" that AC water drains from? Had that problem on a car once.. Checked the boot and it is OK also this happens all winter when not using MH. Thanks
Thanks
Hello ! Yes, I am talking about the rubber boot that the AC water drains into. I test drove 2 different units (both gassers)in hot and humid South Carolina, in the month August and as I was driving I could actually see the water was dripping onto the carpet from the chassis AC on both of the MH's I drove. So that is why I suggested you check that. ( I wasn't aware that your leak was happening year round without chassis AC operation)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Benny, thanks. On my old car it was like a calcium deposit in their. it would crunch up then finally fall out. The old standing water also smelled really bad.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I have a tradewinds and it was the awning mount for the fromt door that leaked , however the water showed up much further forward than where the leak originated, coach was parked slightly downhill not much but enough.....my mounts are screwed to the fiberlass...surprised you have rivets? anyway I took the screw out that was leaking filled the hole with proflex rv sealant slid a small peice of eternabond tape behind the mounting plate then re screwed it to the wall, just a side note you might find the culprit mount if you see more rust on one particular area....I also eternabond taped my end roof caps just as a precaution,a pressure test is a sure way to find leaks it cost me about $200..... hope you are able to find it.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #14

I bought both side windows new and a friend who owns a body shop installed them. I still had the leak so he took the pass. window out and reinstalled it and that stopped the leak.
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote