RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Stove lid with Corian will not stay up

I have been dealing with this problem since getting this MH, the metal stove top cover has been covered with Corian to match the counter tops, nice touch, but the weight is too much for the catch mechanism on the cover. We are constantly fussing with it to keep it up (the cover that is ), and when we are slightly off level to the driver side, it is near impossible to keep in place. I have removed and enlarged the detents in the bracket but still not helping much.

Short of removing the Corian (not an option per DW) the only thing I see to do is to fabricate some sort of support or hook to hold up. With mirror backsplash looks like some kind of prop-rod would be best option. But having it not interfere with operation of the cover or cooking on stove top will be issue.

Anyone else dealt with this? Looking for successful solutions.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A photo of what you have now would really help people to come up with alternative ideas for you to consider.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

You have to lift up when opening and closing the cover. If you don't it bends the tabs and they won't stay up all the way.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Yeah, I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
You have to lift up when opening and closing the cover. If you don't it bends the tabs and they won't stay up all the way.
We have dealt with that and still have trouble getting it to drop into the detents. Just poor design, no intended for that weight
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

My present cover is a two piece that separately fit into a groove on the back of the counter corian and rests on the wall at such an angle that they stay put. If This is what you have and the angle is insufficient, get a solid surface contractor to rout out the groove a little longer so the covers sit at a greater angle. My previous Dolphin had a two piece cover hinged in the middle and bracketed pivots at the back. There was a spring loaded hook mounted on the wall that retained the folded cover adequately. If this is what you have, look on internet for spring loaded hooks you can mount on the wall.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My cover (just like yours) covered with Corian, has just started to barely hold in place. It has dropped down a couple times and would be dangerous if it decided to drop down when we are using the cook top. I has held up great the past few years of use and just within the past couple weeks has gotten weak. I have an owners manual for the cover but it isn't any help. Any suggestions to help Dave and myself would be appreciated.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Duct Tape!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
We have dealt with that and still have trouble getting it to drop into the detents. Just poor design, no intended for that weight
If anyone has ever closed it without first lifting up, it will bend the tabs and barely stay up.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sounds like the OP has taken the metal frame off the back to readjust the method trying to get it back to normal. I did that once and it improved greatly but now I notice it is a balancing act. It is easy for someone to forget and not lift up when raising the thing.

So after taking a look at mine again I am going to suggest a scissor hinge for the left side of the folding lid. Here is one from Amazon, there are many on the market, Lowes, Home Depot has them I am sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Lid-Support-Hi...8205144&sr=1-2

It seems to me that there is enough room on that side to place one. It would not interfere with the normal operation, lift and separate, but would act as an extra brace to hold the thing up.

It also would not interfere with cooking.

If someone has a better idea or an already conceived solution I along with others eagerly await your response.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #10

I'm not so sure you have to lift up when putting it up. I may be wrong, but I do know you have to when lowering it.

I like the idea of a scissor hinge.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has one of these to hold the cover up, I assume it was original. Works fine never has fallen. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post it.
Squared Baggage Door Catch - Stainless Steel - RV Designer E215 - Compartment and Hatch Hardware - Camping World

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm not so sure you have to lift up when putting it up. I may be wrong, but I do know you have to when lowering it.

I like the idea of a scissor hinge.
Yes, lifting when it comes down is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Mine has one of these to hold the cover up, I assume it was original. Works fine never has fallen. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post it.
Squared Baggage Door Catch - Stainless Steel - RV Designer E215 - Compartment and Hatch Hardware - Camping World

Chuck

This looks interesting and simple. A picture will really help.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #13

I had one of those squared baggage door catches on my previous Dolphin and worked fine with the hinged cover.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG39 View Post
I had one of those squared baggage door catches on my previous Dolphin and worked fine with the hinged cover.
This looks interesting but I for one do not see where it attaches, how it works. Anyone have a picture or description of where it is attached and how it works. My imagination is failing me.