RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Suddenly tripping shore breaker

I have a 2000 SeaView. Parked in storage and plugged into shore power 10 Amp? breaker. Was doing fine. Only plugged into to keep batteries charged. Neighbor in facility returned and plugged his coach in, and immediatly tripped shore breaker. We reset breaker. His alone will not trip breaker. Now mine alone trips breaker. We trouble shot all up to my 50 Amp male plug and no shorts. My electrical abilities ended when trying to check from there. I have every thing that I can think of off and disconnected inside of coach. Turned off all in house breakers also. Even unplugged the converter plug that connects the converter to the coach?
Any suggestions? And, what other info do I need to supply?
Bruce

baustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like you have done the basics. Curious, does it trip the breaker immediately when you plug it in or does it take a while i.e. a minute or so.

Immediate indicates a direct short someplace in the wiring or an appliance, although it sounds like most of that is disconnected, if it takes longer to blow the breaker then I would look for a bad connection, you might be able to actually feel the heat on the outside of the wire but be careful. Might be time for an electrician.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You might try a "kill a watt" meter to determine your actual current draw before spending time and money on troubleshooting or an electrician.
Google 'kill a watt' for several choices.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #4

Could it be a ground fault tripping the GFI? ~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustin View Post
I have a 2000 SeaView. Parked in storage and plugged into shore power 10 Amp? breaker. Was doing fine. Only plugged into to keep batteries charged. Neighbor in facility returned and plugged his coach in, and immediatly tripped shore breaker. We reset breaker. His alone will not trip breaker. Now mine alone trips breaker. We trouble shot all up to my 50 Amp male plug and no shorts. My electrical abilities ended when trying to check from there. I have every thing that I can think of off and disconnected inside of coach. Turned off all in house breakers also. Even unplugged the converter plug that connects the converter to the coach?
Any suggestions? And, what other info do I need to supply?
Bruce
I also have a 2000 SeaView & find this somewhat puzzling. you say shore power is only 10 amp. are you sure? my RV is the 8341 model and will not operate on anything less than 30Amp even if all circuit breakers etc. are turned off. I cannot go to any campground that has 15 or 20 amp hookups, will trip breaker everytime. these coaches must need 30amp minimum.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

If you cut off the breakers off and the gen, isnt running with nothing at all in the mh on its at the plug in or the box that its plug into.
From what youre saying as soon as its pluged in it trips look for a wire going to ground at thr plug in from the shore or your cord.
oldandred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #7

It is quite possible that the breaker is weak and that is the problem. You may be using slightly more amperage than the other RV does causing it to trip. Breakers wear out over enough time/trips
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #8

It trips immediatly when I plug in. I thought that I tried a plug on another circuit and the same thing happened. BUT, I had a friend helping me and failed to ask him if for sure were we on a sep. circuit. Will go back up there today and make sure.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

That was my initial thought also. With my limited electrical knowledge, I checked for continuity in extention cord (even changed cords), checked "dog bone" O.K. Did not know how to read when I got to 50 Amp plugs.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #10

I may be wrong about the 10 Amp. breaker, but here at home I have been able to use a 20 Amp breaker without a problem just to keep it plugged in to just supply 12 V lights, fridge, and run converted to keep bats up.
Bruce Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #11

If the 120 is gfi I think Bill is correct, for some reason a gfi to gfi connection can cause intermittent issues.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone suggested the breaker is tired- this is a real possibility. You could verify it by plugging the rig into another a/c source and see if it trips that breaker as well. This will tell you two things: everything in the rig is fine/ the first a/c source is fine, (or if the second one trips also- it's something wrong in the rig). This test will quickly tell you what's up, and it sounds like you've already eliminated the possibility of anything after the main breaker in your rig. If the thing trips again on the second source- it might be something in the shore power cord and possibly up to the automatic transfer switch- if you have one.

I'm curious- let us know when you solve this.

Drew
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #13

Just went back up to the rig. Need to input some corrections. 1. Throws on a different breaker also. 2. Both breakers are 20Amp. One is ground fault other is not. 3. Rechecked continuity of ext. cord, "Dog Bone " reducer. all is well up to the 50 Amp plug from MH. Was not sure how to check from there. 4. Turned off all breakers inside coach(Main Panel) still tripped 20Amp shore. Don't really know what else to do. Does anyone know where to get a wiring dia. for 1999 Seaview?
Can the power control board in front compartment by door figure into this or the converter. The converter I can just unplug from coach(Wall plug in compartment) That did not change anything either. There is a 1 Amp fuse PCB that no one including the manufacturer knows what it does. It keeps blowing. But has been working without it? Board people said they made the modification in the board specifically for National. No more National or support! Help!!
Thanks in advance.

Just read the new post about the automatic transfer switch, another friend of mine mentioned that also. Where would I find it? Also is ther a trick to testing it if I find it.

Another question. Do I dare plug into generator and star it to see i I can function on it? Have been afraid to try.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustin View Post
Just went back up to the rig. Need to input some corrections. 1. Throws on a different breaker also. 2. Both breakers are 20Amp. One is ground fault other is not. 3. Rechecked continuity of ext. cord, "Dog Bone " reducer. all is well up to the 50 Amp plug from MH. Was not sure how to check from there. 4. Turned off all breakers inside coach(Main Panel) still tripped 20Amp shore. Don't really know what else to do. Does anyone know where to get a wiring dia. for 1999 Seaview?
Can the power control board in front compartment by door figure into this or the converter. The converter I can just unplug from coach(Wall plug in compartment) That did not change anything either. There is a 1 Amp fuse PCB that no one including the manufacturer knows what it does. It keeps blowing. But has been working without it? Board people said they made the modification in the board specifically for National. No more National or support! Help!!
Thanks in advance.

Just read the new post about the automatic transfer switch, another friend of mine mentioned that also. Where would I find it? Also is ther a trick to testing it if I find it.

Another question. Do I dare plug into generator and star it to see i I can function on it? Have been afraid to try.
lets see if we can work thru this since I have the same model RV as you have. you say you can run some items on 20amp---ok. how many previous times has this worked without any problems? if you had no previous problems lets start here now. I want you to use as short of extention cord as possible (voltage will drop on a long cord) & use a heavy gauge cord (mine is yellow in color, heavy gauge is yellow). now are you going into a 20amp to 30amp dog bone then 30amp into 50amp dog bone?

this could possibly trip breaker . also I wouldn't run refrig on electric yet (if your refrig as two settings in freezer like mine, be sure it's not on high humidity setting (uses more voltage) and also turn off power boost on antenna(also heavy voltage use I think) but I believe it works off of chassis battery. also carbon monoxide is house battery,check it.

since I purchased my RV new I may have a wiring diagram---I'll ckeck tomorrow (its now 8:30 pm & 31 degrees) and I'm not going out.
and tell me where is this 1amp PCB fuse?

if you prefer you can PM me.

two slides is offline   Reply With Quote