Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Surge protectors, yes / no, what type?

How important are they to have ? I don't mind buying a surge protector but what I'm not sure of if I have a 50 amp surge protector will that cover a 30 amp pedestal. Do they actually burn out when they do find a problem and it saves your electronics but then you have to buy a new one, or will it notify you and just not work until the error is corrected. Surge protectors are new to me so I'm not sure what to do on this situation at all I am just thankful that I have the good people at irv2 to help me out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daledrob View Post
but what I'm not sure of if I have a 50 amp surge protector will that cover a 30 amp pedestal.
Yes, you just need an adapter.

read here:
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

If you have a 50 amp rig, then you need a 50 amp surge protector, and yes it will work fine on a 30 amp pedestal, assuming the proper plug converters are used

And no, if there is a problem they will not burn out, at least up to some point.

Keep in mind that there are simple "surge protectors" and more complex electrical management products that cover surges as well as out of tolerance voltage and other problems. Progressive Industries is a leader in the field - check out Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea for more info.
MWKingSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daledrob View Post
How important are they to have ? I don't mind buying a surge protector but what I'm not sure of if I have a 50 amp surge protector will that cover a 30 amp pedestal. Do they actually burn out when they do find a problem and it saves your electronics but then you have to buy a new one, or will it notify you and just not work until the error is corrected. Surge protectors are new to me so I'm not sure what to do on this situation at all I am just thankful that I have the good people at irv2 to help me out.
Hey Dale,

A good surge protector will protect you from many different issues like under current, surges, etc... You just need an adapter from 50 to 30. Almost universal agreement on Progressive industries. They make a great product and offer lifetime warranties. Theirs will often warn you of issues before you even hook your rig to the pedestal.

There are 2 kinds: hard wired and portable. Each has their pro's and con's. But they are a great product.

Jim
Old 01-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

Surge protector........

Only one worth buying and that is Progressive Industries Brand.....PERIOD
WHY?
Life Time warranty
Field Serviceable
Great Customer Service
Tech Dept that will troubleshoot WITH you
Did I mention ....Life Time Warranty

Buy the model that has ALL the protection....not just surge
HI/LO Voltage, Loss of Neutral, Loss of Ground etc.

High Voltage SURGE (Lightning Strike) will burn out unit...otherwise it will trip and reset when fault condition corrected
Did I mention Life time Warranty...they really do stand behind that

NOW.....do you NEED one?
In 40+ yrs of RVng/Camping NEVER had one. Mainly because I didn't know about them, didn't think about them, didn't have any issues w/o one.
But when your RV is a tent, pop-up, small camper, old truck camper, older 5th wheel not much to worry about.

Then we bought (ordered) our new 5th wheel go hit the road in FT.
I immediately bought a 50A Surge Protector with ALL the bells/whistles.....because we would be connecting to various power sources all over the US at CGs we have NEVER been to.
Great protection.......like a good insurance policy.

Ours tripped power numerous times due to faulty power sources.
Very glad we had it......cheaper then replacing circuit boards, motors, electronics etc

Other brand.....1 yr limited warranty & non serviceable
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the EMS-HW50C.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

You can get it here for a good price with free shipping.
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C | RV Energy Management Systems
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I have a Surge Guard TRC 35550 hard wired in my coach and a Technology Research ) Remote Power Monitor LCD Display mounted inside the coach.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

I have a portable Progressive unit and never hook up to electric without using it.
Why take a chance on losing all your electronics etc. It is as importat to me as the pressure regulator for the water.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Progressive Industries 50 A portable. I would never hook up to a CG pedestal without it being in place. I have too much electronics on board that I don't want to have to replace.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto on the EMS-HW50C.
I installed it myself on a 2002 Dolphin 5355 and it protects from both the pedestal and a generator malfunction. Took about an hour to do and took a couple feet of heavy gauge wire. I am amazed at how often it finds not just surges, but low voltage.
TaterTot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many campgrounds the power is.. Well.. rather scary. Low (or high) voltage and other issues.

I have also experienced several "Blinks" (power goes out for like one or two seconds)

Thus I have two devices, One Autoformer and one surge guard. Eventually I'll get them properly configured (Currently the SG is a portable, not my first choice)

Recommendation.. Progressive Industries HW-50C installed
Optional TRC Surge Guard hard wired
Optional PI PT-50C
Optional TRC Portable (what I have)
In that order

NOTE.. This is for a 50 amp RV. if yours is a 30, change the number to 30

Set the time delay on the HW-50 to LONG

WHY:
When power blinks.. My TRC holds power off for just shy of 3 minutes.. This means the compressors in the air conditioners bleed down and re-start as they normally would in normal operation.

Without the Surge Guard they woudl try to re-start with a full head of pressure.. NOT possible, this overloads and damages the compressor.. Replacement of compressors is involved enough you might as well replace the entire upper unit.. about $1,000 dollars.

3 minutes of no power.. $0.00

You decide.