Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What trim pieces? You mean around where the carpet meets the laminate?

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Yep, where the carpet and laminate meet. So after I posted for help it hit me right in the head. If I had a perfect square corner it would be a 90, so I would cut the trim at 45. Well I had this adjustable protractor that came up with 50, so I just divided that and came up with a 25 degree angle. I went out and cut it and it worked. Sometimes it helps to think out loud. I'll be doing the trim tomorrow, unless my thought process is wrong. If it is let me know before I cut the trim.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Joe, I don't think you could put the sliders under the skids either. I'm sending photos of our laminate steps. The moulding around the top of the steps on the landing and on the top of the 1st step is stair nose moulding, it drops down on one side. The moulding (my finger is pointing to this one)where the laminate starts at the bottom is a carpet cover moulding that was modified by removing the "ear" that is on the bottom of this moulding that normally would be put unto a plastic receiver. All mouldings are secured with Liquid Nails. The sides that are covered in laminate were done by glueing the laminate to the side walls with Liquid Nails. After you have everything in place make sure you seal all joints in the corners and on any mouldings with clear silicone sealant. The black strips are Velcro that holds our step carpet in place and removes for cleaning.
did you place the laminate under the the stair nose moulding or did you but the laminate up against the moulding? are your batteries under the steps?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
did you place the laminate under the the stair nose moulding or did you but the laminate up against the moulding? are your batteries under the steps?
The laminate goes under the moulding. On DPs the batteries are in a separate bay on the pass. side toward the rear.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #19

did you leave the 1/4 inch expansion area under the moulding or did you just not worry about this...we are working on ours and are just trying to learn as we go. in looking at the picture it looks like the floor is the same height as the moulding..does your moulding stick up higher than the laminate... you did such a good job. thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
did you leave the 1/4 inch expansion area under the moulding or did you just not worry about this...we are working on ours and are just trying to learn as we go. in looking at the picture it looks like the floor is the same height as the moulding..does your moulding stick up higher than the laminate... you did such a good job. thanks
I cannot say about the 1/4" expansion as I didn't do the install. The mouldings do stick up above the flooring but it's not an issue as far a walking over them.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Faye, When I did my top stair bull nose, I did leave the 1/4" space for expansion. The bull nose (stair edge) is designed to butt up against the stair edge, then to lay directly on the subfloor and then it lays over the laminate, this is where you leave the space.
Hope this helps.

I have finally completed my project, would I do it again? Yeah, but I would lay the laminate in the same direction as the MH, front to rear, instead of at an angle. WHY? Because cutting the angles for the edge trim was a headache for untalented woodworker me, I can see and do 45 degrees but after that I'm lost. I still have one area that needs to be cut to the correct angle, but it's going to have to look funny until I get to Yuma and have a Winter buddy redo it.
I'll post pics later after I clean up the MH.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #22

we installed ours front to back. used laminate. hardest part...taking up carpet and all those staples and trying decide how to install around the slides...we used berkshire cherry pergo laminate from lowes and it looks like real wood and is just beautiful...we are now working on the trim,,,we also removed the sofa and bought 2 new recliners and removed the dinining benches and replaced with two freestanding chairs. so much more room.. thanks to all for the advice, it really helped.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Let's see some pics
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #24

don't know how to post pictures, will see if my son can help.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
don't know how to post pictures, will see if my son can help.
Faye, use the "Reply to Thread" not the quick reply. When the reply box opens you will see a "paper clip" symbol. Click on it and you will then be able to browse for you photos. Upload and submit.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Faye, Dan didn't mention that when you do that you won't see the actual pic, only a few words. But it's there.