Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Tearing Out The Carpet

After spending 3 great days in New Mexico at the First Orphan Rally and drooling over the accomplishments of VegasDan's and Theberrys modifications to their Tradewinds I finally got the nerve to replace the dreaded dirt catching carpet. I was forewarned of the cazillion staples so I was prepared to spend a lot of time in getting them out. I think the staple guys were paid by the peice. I was also forewarned about the possibility of the slide scratching the new wood/laminate depending on what is on the bottom of your slide that it sits on. Some are on rollers and some are on skids. The ones with skids may scratch the wood/laminate flooring because they have screws in the bottoms that attach them to the slide. On mine some of the screws were installed crooked so the screw head protrudes enough to scratch hard surfaces but it doesn't bother carpet. So instead of wood/laminate I'm going with a Carpet tile that won't show/attract the dirt as the original carpet.
Now here's something I wasn't prepared for. Once you pull all the carpet and pad and staples from under the slide you may have some protruding pointy things that can interfer with the slide. In fact they can gouge grooves in the slide fiberglass bottom and as you bring the slide in and out you swear the slide is about to fall out. I assumed they were carpet holding thingees and that I had pulled them up straight as I yanked the carpet out, so I used a real long screwdriver to bend them back down. Well they wouldn't budge and this is where meeting Dan and Dick at the Orphan Rally really helped. I posted a pic of the pointy thing and Dan who has the same year Tradewinds told me what they are. The pointy things are the self starting screws that attach the hinges for the bay doors to the coach. He ran into the same thing when he took out his carpet. I think the carpet and pad lift the slide enough to clear the screws. So my fix will be to either replace the screws with shorter ones or add washers to the existing screws. Which ever I do I will be using loctite also. Dan's fix was to cut off the screw top, I have too many and no patience to sit there and saw them and hope not to cut the bottom slide seal.
Just thought I would share this with you all, just in case you run into the same thing and to also get you interested in our 2nd Annual National Orphan Rally. Meeting folks with the same coaches can really be helpful and besides it can give you that extra ump to do that mod you've been thinking about.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Joe
Is there room to get something like this in to drive them back in?
Amazon.com: Neiko Pocket Size Close-Quarters 1/4-Inch Drive Mini Ratcheting Screwdriver and Bit…
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
They are easy to reach. Just open the Bay door and there they are. I removed one with my DeWalt power drill. Now I'm heading to Lowes to look for shorter ones. I have one of those little sets somewhere, gee the memory is the second thing to go, can't remember the first.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dremel, carbide cutting blade, shorten screws.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Well Lowes only had 1/2 inch, I need 5/8", off to Fastenal Monday. I think the 1/2" are too short. I was surprised at how many are actually cutting into the slide bottom. Evidently National knew it too, since there are shorter ones at the back end were the slide sits a little lower. The back being set lower must be to allow water to roll off the slide top when it is extended.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
BTW, I'm not cutting 20+ screws, replacing is much easier. That's the nice part of being retired, no big hurry. Besides I won't get the Carpet tiles until end of the week. The color of Tiles we settled on are called Tradewinds, now how great is that. Someone is going to have to explain how to post pics in easy step-by-step instructions so that I can post the laying of Tradewinds in my Tradewinds.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Good ole Fastenal came through with shorter screws. Replaced all of them on the bay door hinges under the slide and no more gritty grinding as the screws cut into the fiberglass. Now, only thing to figure out is how to get the slide skids to come in without hitting the subfloor edgeing as it comes up when you start bringing in the slide. Guess I'll go out and try a few things. No hurry since my carpet is due in Friday or Tuesday next week.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Joe,

At Home Depot or Lowes they have some different size teflon bottom sliders go to this link.

Search Results for furniture sliders

I have used them on several different projects with good results. They have a slight bevel on the edges so it has a tendency to climb up and over instead of bumping into an edge. I haven't looked under my slide yet so I don't know if you can get these in place. They sure work well and make items slide across all types of surfaces with much less friction. You can even slide across wood floors without scratching (make sure there is no sand on the wood)
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Those sliders would be nice, but I can't get them under the slide skids.

I'm sitting by the front door waiting on FedEx, they are out for delivery on my carpet tiles. Excited to get started, I have some ideas I'm going to show the boss where I'll lay carpet from the slide to where the slide ends then lay laminate. It'll be her decision.

Anyone out there who has done laminate around the drivers area and on the entry steps?? Also anyone done laminate on the slide cover that goes over the entry stairs?? Trying to get a heads up on unforeseen stumbling blocks.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, I don't think you could put the sliders under the skids either. I'm sending photos of our laminate steps. The moulding around the top of the steps on the landing and on the top of the 1st step is stair nose moulding, it drops down on one side. The moulding (my finger is pointing to this one)where the laminate starts at the bottom is a carpet cover moulding that was modified by removing the "ear" that is on the bottom of this moulding that normally would be put unto a plastic receiver. All mouldings are secured with Liquid Nails. The sides that are covered in laminate were done by glueing the laminate to the side walls with Liquid Nails. After you have everything in place make sure you seal all joints in the corners and on any mouldings with clear silicone sealant. The black strips are Velcro that holds our step carpet in place and removes for cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steps1 002.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	5153   Click image for larger version

Name:	steps1 003.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	5154  

Name:	steps1 004.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	5155  
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Dan

Awesome, that is exactly what I had in mind but needed some extra confidence building blocks to get my butt in gear. The stair edge is the same as my house stairs. I might look for the number of the kid who did our house floors, he was reasonable, quick and really good.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a somewhat more powerful grinder than a dremel but I've shortened a few screws.

My carpet issue: I would like to know who's bright idea it was to carpet the riser under the toilet.. I mean if there is any way for moisture to get into the carpet, say bad aim or a valve sticking or such.. The carpet traps and holds the moisture in an area where it is basically impossible to get with a wet vac to suck it out.

Then the wood rots

I now have a brand new riser under the toilet, instead of carpeted particle board it is the same thickness plywood, 2 coats of sealer stain, no carpet. Even looks nice if I say so myself.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Good news, got two rows of carpet layed and they are right up against where the skids were bumping the sub floor. Well there is no more bumping, the slide glided right in with no problem or noise. Waiting for the boss to approve the layout before I get to triming to fit around the all the nooks and crannies.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club

Name:	My new floor 003.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	5295

Ran into a snag. for the life of me I can not figure out the angle on the laminate for the trim pieces. Anyone have a Step-by-Step Angle Instruction Book for the Complete Idiot?