Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
To Buy Extended Warranty or Not to Buy

We are looking at purchasing a 2000 National Tradewinds 37' Diesel Pusher soon and are being offered to purchase an Extended Warranty as a part of our financing package for an additional $5000.00 for the next 3 years. What are your thoughts on getting an extended warranty? Is is necessary and worth the additional price? We are being told it covers everything should anything break down, i.e., refrigerator, engine, gaskets, seals, tires, a/c, microwave, anything electrical, etc.

Look forward to your responses,
rv dreamer
rv dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$5000.00 is a lot of money for 3 years insurance. For me, it would depend on how much I will use the Coach during that 3 years, how much I know about the former owner(s) usage and experiences, and the maintenance history of the coach. There really is no "right" answer......it's a "risk" balance decision. Some people are able to take more risk than others. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Rook. 5K will buy a lot of fuel or updates. However, if you don't know the history of the coach.....
I didn't purchase an extended warranty with ours but the owner had every record, manual and repair bill in a very large folder which, when purchasing used, is a must imho.
By the way, I've never heard of an extended warranty including tires. I would make sure that's in writing.

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would look at Coach Net , it includes a lot more and cheaper. I bought it and used it 3 times in 6 months and it is good peace of mind.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Off hand it seems to be excessive. What is the name of the company and policy. Is it silver, gold or platinum? It is "parts named" or "exclusionary".
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That sounds high to me. I will not get into the whole controversy of extended warranties. We just got a new-to-us coach and I decided to get a coach systems only warranty (no drive train coverage) from Cornerstone in Hickory, NC. I paid $3,400 for 4 years with a $200 deductible. So far, a defective clothes dryer has been replaced, along with the motor for the door awning. I did not pay any deductible on those since the selling dealer did the work and sold me the warranty. My coach is now in the shop to get a bad inverter replaced. The inverter will cost around $2K plus the labor. If I get off with just a $200 deductible, the warranty has probably now paid for itself and I have 3 1/2 years to go.

So, like all insurance it only pays for itself if you need it. I would do a little shopping around.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
When we bought I bought a high dollar insurance 5years but I screwed up did not read the thing it was only good 5000 miles. Needless to say the insurance only lasted 10months. I did get the a/c fixed and 1 other thing but they made about 3500$. Buyer beware.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #8

First; these are not extended warranties, but insurance plans from companies other than the coach, chassis, appliance and accessory manufacturers. Use the "search" function to read many, many, different posts about this topic. Also, carefully read the fine print on any policy you are considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv dreamer View Post
We are looking at purchasing a 2000 National Tradewinds 37' Diesel Pusher soon and are being offered to purchase an Extended Warranty as a part of our financing package for an additional $5000.00 for the next 3 years. What are your thoughts on getting an extended warranty? Is is necessary and worth the additional price? We are being told it covers everything should anything break down, i.e., refrigerator, engine, gaskets, seals, tires, a/c, microwave, anything electrical, etc.

rv dreamer
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #9

I have given up on extended warranties. I have never had a single one pay for itself. It's just more money out of my pocket.

However, if it buys you some peace of mind, then there is some value, but only you can determine that.

If it were me I'd look at the reliability of the unit you're purchasing. What engine? What transmission? Those are the expensive items. Do they have a history of failure? If not, there's probably no need for an extended warranty.

Good luck!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv dreamer View Post

rv dreamer
We bought it with our travel trailer but normally I do not. $5000? Wow. Hope it covers a lot.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Is the warranty good where ever you have a problem?? Read it through before you go for it. The tire warranty really needs to be looked at. I got talked into one years ago on my MH and it didn't cover tire damage from road debris. I cancelled it after I read it. DUH ME! I did get an extended warranty on my MH when she was three years old for around 3,000. I had a microwave/convection oven replaced, two leveling jacks replaced, two others needed seals replaced, dash air repaired, and the big one was a new computer system (VDC) replaced when a lot attendant crossed jumped my chassis batteries trying to jump it. I got my monies worth, but did not renew it, I put the money in the bank and so far only needed it when the cooling unit on my fridge was replaced.

BTW, check the DOT dates on those tires they're trying to sell you a warranty on. Also have them test the batteries with a volt meter while you watch. I asked about the batteries and the guy pushed the button and showed me that the good green light meant that they were good. DUH ME AGAIN!

Do they have any records of service from the previous owner??

How much will they take off for the tire warranty??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, don't look at "extended warranties" as either investments or as warranties... because they are neither.

They are insurance policies, and like other insurance you carry they are there "just in case". Some people stress over how they did or didn't "get their money back" on an extended warranty... but they don't wish they had had an auto accident so they could have gotten their money back on car insurance... nor do they wish they had died so the life insurance would have paid off.

I was a newbie who bought a new 40DP along with a 6 year ($7K) extended warranty. I bought it for peace of mind and I'm glad I had it. As it turned out they did pay out just about $7k in claims over that time but that's not why I bought it.

It just expired and I didn't renew. My advice now would be to take that $5000 and tuck it away... adding some monthly amount to it for a maintenance fund.

BTW, I've NEVER heard of an EW paying for all of the things you mentioned. I believe that the salesman is blowing smoke. Be sure to read the fine print and do research on the company writing the policy before you buy if you decide to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
I would look at Coach Net , it includes a lot more and cheaper. I bought it and used it 3 times in 6 months and it is good peace of mind.
Hey Bud...

The OP just outlined an extended warranty that covers everything bumper to bumper including tires and batteries... and you have one from Coach Net that is cheaper and provides a lot more?

Can you give us a link or some more detail. A lot of folks would be interested in that. I know CoachNet is the best in the roadside assistance business but can't find anywhere where they offer comprehensive extended warranties.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

First thing comes to my mind is, "Do they require an inspection of your coach and will they put exclusions on anything which does not check out perfectly??" If this is the case, time to think long and hard about it. It's much like the "Pre-existing condition" clause in health insurance.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put the $5000 in the bank and add to it each month. If you are going to buy it, make sure you understand what is required of YOU too keep from having a repair denied. As mentioned make sure there is no mileage limitations, and age limitation also.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote