Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Toilet problems

I have a Tradewinds model 7373 year 2000 and my toilet will not hold water, and as a result some not so good smells comes from the bathroom. I have pruchased a new spring mechanism, how difficult is it to replace myself? It is called a TRAVELER made by dometic. Has any one had this problem and done ther repairs themselves that can give me some info on this. I called the company and they said it was probably the spring mechanism had weakened to where the ball does not close tight enough. It will probably be a trial and error thing until i find the problem. This is my 4th different RV and i have never had this problem before. thanks Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Sealand toilet occasionally will not hold water very long. I have found it to be solid material stuck to the underside of the rubber seal, between the ball seal and the rubber seal. It can be cleared with a bent toothbrush. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When the foot pedal is pushed, is the ball suposed it open far enough so the entire rubber seal can be cleaned ?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Had the same problem with a Sealand by Dometic in our 03 Tradewinds. The rubber seal deteriorates over the years. You can buy one at Camping World, or any RV store for $35 dollars and change it yourself. Very easy - took - about 20 minutes -- problem solved.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This is what you need to fix your problem.

I am not familiar with the toilet that you have, but it sounds pretty much like ours, and the problem sounds familiar.

The problem is that "the ball" and the seals dries up. It therefore cause so much friction that the ball won't make a seal.

Put on a rubber glove and a nose peg . Put some silicone grease on your finger (not Vaseline or anything else) and then smear the grease on the seal and the dome of the ball.

Problem solve most likely

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Silicone Grease

Usually only works for a while.

Use it. But then order the replacement seal. I get mine from Amazon or eBay. Not a fun job, but easy enough.

If you don't have a sprayer attachment it's a good time to install one.

Like this one : Dometic Hand Spray Kit - Dometic 385319054 - RV Toilets - Camping World
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
When the foot pedal is pushed, is the ball suposed it open far enough so the entire rubber seal can be cleaned ?
No, it does not.....just the back 1/3 ......and that is where mine needs the cleaning. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had my replaced a couple times. It holds water well now, but knock on wood.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Usually only works for a while.

If you don't have a sprayer attachment it's a good time to install one.

Like this one : Dometic Hand Spray Kit - Dometic 385319054 - RV Toilets - Camping World
I have a hand sprayer and never use it. I use a good quality, round, johnny brush, with a long handle, that I bought when I lived in Holland. It does an excellent job of cleaning up. And, just fits the round hole in the toilet and can be pushed down inside to clean under the toilet itself. The hand sprayer also works it you always have good water pressure.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brush

We use one of those too. And still use the sprayer all the time. I've installed one on our last 4 RVs.

The extra sticking power must be from eating too much library paste in grade school.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Thetford stopped holding water and I tried EVERY suggestion for cleaning, silicone grease, etc and nothing worked. I seemed to have fixed it purely by accident about 2 weeks ago. Because it was smelling, I dropped a packet of toilet chemical in the bowl and forgot about it. When I went back in about an hour later the blue water was still there. Apparently the chemicals in the bag did something to the rubber and it had held water ever since.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On Rook's suggestion of using the toothbrush.. Be sure that its the Wifes toothbrush that you use..
Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used an ice cream stick to clean the seal on mine. Open the ball and rub the seal with the stick. If your carefull the stick will fit between the ball and the seal. I clean the seal anytime it won't hold water. Don't drop the stick into the tank.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I had the same problem years ago and to fix it I think I got a tool from Camping World.
It look like a Doctors tong depressor only it had on the last two inches something like sandpaper which is use to scrape off the coliseum that builds up over the years with the use of hard water.
This is assuming you have a ball closer instead of a flat slice like disk that goes in and out.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote