Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toilet Water Shut Off Valve?

I'm need to replace the water valve and spring cartridge assembly on the toilet in my motorhome. In order to do so, the water has to be turned off. There is no water shut off valve in the water line between the floor and the toilet. I have removed the access panels in the cargo area in the past and don't recall seeing any water shut off valve under the floor. Does anyone know if there is a shut off valve? Is it possible National RV didn't install one? I would install one myself, but I'm on a 12 week motorhome trip and can't shut the water off for any extended period of time. If I were home it would be an non-issue to install a shut-off valve.

kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

Huh!

If you are hooked to campsite water...just turn it off. If you are using your pump....just turn it off. Am I missing something here?

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with Jack1234, it isn't a complicated job, less than 20 minutes probably. Where does the water supply from the toilet come from? I have a manifold in one of my compartments. At the manifold all the water lines are distributed from one line from the water tank/pump. I can shut off any line at the manifold.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know I can turn the water off by shutting off the city water supply and turning the water pump off. But like I said, I'm on an extended trip and living in the motorhome. I don't want to turn the water off to the entire motorhome. I will have to remove the toilet from the floor to get easy access to the valve and spring cartridge because there is very little room between the toilet and a cabinet next to it. I cannot remove the pedal cover with the toilet mounted to the floor. It won't be a 20 minute job. I was wondering if any National RV owner has found a shut off valve to the toilet.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I've done this job, and removed the toilet also to make it easier. That took loosening 4 nuts -- Remove and reinstall 10 minutes, then 10 more for the 2 screws on the water valve. If you're in a campground, use the camp toilets /water for an hour.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #6

Fill a couple containers with fresh water before you start the toilet job.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shut off the water and install the extra shut off valve. Now you can turn the water on and take your time repairing the toilet.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no shut off valve and one line feeds every thing on that side of the MH. Just turn the water off and use the public facilitys if you need to. If you were to find the line and install a shut off valve you would still have to shut the water off to install it.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

Turn it off, stick a bolt down the hole, hose clamp it, turn it back on and repair the toilet.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Such a big deal about nothing...
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #11

Shut off valve

To some, it is a big deal, to some, it is not, lighten up.
Several years ago I got to my Wintering point and behold, my toilet was leaking water, I shut the water off, but we had no water at all. Went to the rv part dealer, the part I needed would be arrive in a few days. Ok, went to Lowes, got a in line water shut off valve, installed it behind the toilet, turned it off, turned water back on, had water until part came in. Mine now has a shut off valve to the toilet just in case I need it again.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
I'm need to replace the water valve and spring cartridge assembly on the toilet in my motorhome. In order to do so, the water has to be turned off. There is no water shut off valve in the water line between the floor and the toilet. I have removed the access panels in the cargo area in the past and don't recall seeing any water shut off valve under the floor. Does anyone know if there is a shut off valve? Is it possible National RV didn't install one? I would install one myself, but I'm on a 12 week motorhome trip and can't shut the water off for any extended period of time. If I were home it would be an non-issue to install a shut-off valve.
I know what you mean. Had our toilet overflow. Had the valve replaced and a few days later it started again. We were on the road and 200+ mi. From the dealer that
Replaced the valve . Went too one of my places " ACE HARDWARE" bought a ball
Valve , installed, problem solved. We just got in the habit of reaching behind the
Stool and turning off and on. Lot better than soaking up water at 2:00 AM!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
My Tradewinds doesn't have a shut off for the pot. I expected an arrangement like in the sticks and bricks but were out of luck.

Dick
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
My Tradewinds doesn't have a shut off valve on the Pot. I expected one like in the sticks and bricks but were out of luck.

Dick

Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water