RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #1

Top of rig Horn

We have a 2004 Dolphin Heritage, 32 foot. On the outside roof above the driver's seat there's 2 bugle-type horns. We can not for the life of us figure out how to honk these! The previous owner said the same thing. Are they just for looks or do they really work? Thanks.

jmzumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

For the most part they are just for looks. If they work they would be electric. Some have taken apart and cleaned the diaphragm and got some sound out. I had air horns put in the engine compartment that work off a compressor for my toad brakes. We have a 2005 Dolphin LX. Not familiar with the Heritage?

pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjgolpher View Post
For the most part they are just for looks. If they work they would be electric. Some have taken apart and cleaned the diaphragm and got some sound out. I had air horns put in the engine compartment that work off a compressor for my toad brakes. We have a 2005 Dolphin LX. Not familiar with the Heritage?
Thanks so much. That's what I figured. It's a Dolphin LX, Heritage edition. Sorry.
jmzumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Electric air horns.

Hello,
On my 2000 Tradewinds 7371 you change the horn by a rocker switch on the left hand panel beside the drivers seat. The switch is labeled horn, city/highway. City is small car type horn. Highway is air bugles on roof. Both are operated by push pad on steering wheel. Which one is energized is determined by horn switch position. Hope this is helpful.
Don
NinePine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
See other threads on these horns :
Dual Electric Roof Horns
Mine didn't work either. I dis-assembled and cleaned inside them. When apart, the gaskets on each side of the diaphragm fell out in pieces. I bought a sheet of gasket material and cut 4 new gaskets for both horns. Once assembled, except the back covers, I found I had to tune each one with the adjustment screw on each one.
The best way to tune them for me was to take a 12v battery onto the roof (from ATV) and supply power to each one. Then unlock the nut on the adjust screw and adjust for maximum sound. This is a fairly fine adjustment. Then lock screw with nut and apply some loctite.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
YO_

National RV Owners Club
Hi John, we have the 2004 36' Heritage model and we have the horns on top as well. When we bought it, there were several switches that didn't have any labels on them. One of those switches was located on the dash, right hand side. SHould say this switch doesn't look like the other switched, this is just a toggle switch. Asked the previous owner, we purchased from a dealer, what that switch was. He smiled, told me to hit the horn button, I did, normal horn, he told me to flip the switch and hit the horn button again, AIR HORNS kicked in. There is a air compressor with a holding tank on the drivers side outside under the "hood".
The other switch is located in the power compartment. He had no idea what that was. Checking here on irv2, found out that is the 30/50 amp switch which you switch to what shore amperage you have. This is for the air conditioner. As I understand it, on 30 amp, only one compressor comes on, on 50 amp both will come on as needed. This might explain why he had the a/c system replaced about 8 months before he sold it. It was in the 30 amp, down position.
If your horns are 12v, might check for a fuse.

YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote