Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Top Rear running lights

I just noticed the lights (clearance) at the top of the rear are not working. It's a 2001 TradeWinds 7390, anyone know where these lights tie in to the other rear tail lights, are they fused seperately? Getting inspected in the morning and if they catch it they will fail it. It has to be a ground or a broke hot lead. I'm not paying a dealer 125.00 an hour to find it. Help, a wiring diagram would be nice.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #2

Before getting too deep into the wiring, I would check the bulbs. These bulbs, historically, often fail, or the bases are corroded.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sgtjoe, On my last two MH's the power came off one of the tail lights. I would pull tail light assy's and check connections there. If bulbs are ok.

Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I pulled both tail lights and jiggled wires hopping to see the lights. Go such luck. I have wires running up from both tail lights, so don't know which is going to the clearance lights. To check the bulbs in the clearance lights do I just pop off the red cover? Don't want to break anything.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sgtjoe, yes small flat screwdriver works to pry off covers.

Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
OK, I popped the first cover off and the bulb looks bad. Too dark and cold here now, but tomorrow I'll get to the rest of them. This first one might be the culprit since the lens cover is broke and it looks like water got in. I'll let you all know, thanks for the quick replys and thoughts.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Well, it isn't the bulbs. So it has to be in the wiring somewhere. I pulled the tail lights out and it looks like the clearance lights may be running off a green and white wire as these appear to be running up. I disconnected them and there was no change on my tail lights. I have pulled both end clearance lights looking for where they are connected, but with just a little hole for the wires, it is next to impossible to see if either end light is the feed. A wiring diagram would be helpful and an access area would be really nice. Any thoughts out there?? I needed to get her inspected for 2010 tags before the 24th as that is my cateract operation on the first eye and then on 8 Dec the next eye.

I'm going back out and see if I can get a picture up the back if I can get my camera in the tail light hole.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sgtjoe,

You need a $1.99 test light to follow those wires.

Mike
Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Dummy doesn't know how to use a test light, so I called the SIL who is a Master Electrician. He's gonig check it out in the morning. In the mean time, National wouldn't fuse the 5 rear clearance lights on their own, would they?
Also, when I popped the lens caps off two of the lights I was greeted with water. I can't beleive there is no access to the back of those lights.
OH, the camera idea didn't work, I could fit the lens in a hole, but the flash wouldn't give any help up the back.

Can you imagine how much this may cost if I end up in a repair shop???
Old 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Well, we got it past inspection on the lights. It appears somewhere in the wires that look like they run up to the clearance lights there is a short. Would you believe the wires run from the left tail light to the right top clearance light. Any way we jumped the two wires to the clearance lights directly from the tail light middle two wires which got her past inspection. Lost the lic plate light in the process, but the guy gave me a pass on it anyway.

For some odd reason here in UTAH if we are over 26,000 and have air brakes our Motor Homes must be DOT inspected. I didn't believe the guy so called our HWY Patrol who are over the Emmissions and Safety for the State and they said yes. So, we now have to have a safety sticker in the window. The guy did fail me on a front left wheel oil seal that was just starting to seep, luckily it was caught during the new Air Brake system inspection before it leaked into the drum and I would need new shoes. Had it looked at and repaired by a different facility, kinda like the second opinion thing.
If I hadn't have had to have this puppy inspected to license it I would have had a larger repair bill down the road or maybe even an accident as the oil seeped into the brake drum. Those inspections may be a PITA, but they are for your protection as well.