RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
mrk

Tracing a circuit to replace wire

We came home from a relaxing weekend, spending the last hour driving through a monsoon. I put the Tradewinds back into its storage barn, just like I always do. I went back the following day to plug the unit into the 120 volt 15 amp electric so I could run my dehumidifier, as the barn is terribly humid.

When I plugged it in, the relays in my SurgeGuard (and maybe in the transfer case) started chattering like crazy. I unplugged the current, waited about 30 seconds, and then plugged it in again. Again, chattering relays, so I unplugged again. This time I thought I'd check the battery compartment and the inverter.

I walked to the passenger side of the TW and saw smoke in the air. Checked batteries and inverter--nothing amiss. I went inside the coach and noticed smoke in the bedroom. Checked the circuit breaker panel, but nothing appeared wrong.

To make an already long story shorter, it seems that I've developed a short circuit in GP-2, the circuit servicing the bedroom and the outlet for the engine block heater. The problem appears to be between the circuit breaker panel and the first outlet on the circuit.

Does anybody have knowledge as to where the wires are routed from the breaker panel to the outlet beside the bed (passenger side)? As the wire leaves the breaker panel, it seems to head along the floor, toward the front. Looking at the wire that goes to the outlet, it seems that it may come down from the ceiling. Also, are these wires secured to structural members, or are they simply laying there?

I can run the coach with the GP-2 circuit breaker shut off, but I want to fix it right. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
We came home from a relaxing weekend, spending the last hour driving through a monsoon. I put the Tradewinds back into its storage barn, just like I always do. I went back the following day to plug the unit into the 120 volt 15 amp electric so I could run my dehumidifier, as the barn is terribly humid.

When I plugged it in, the relays in my SurgeGuard (and maybe in the transfer case) started chattering like crazy. I unplugged the current, waited about 30 seconds, and then plugged it in again. Again, chattering relays, so I unplugged again. This time I thought I'd check the battery compartment and the inverter.

I walked to the passenger side of the TW and saw smoke in the air. Checked batteries and inverter--nothing amiss. I went inside the coach and noticed smoke in the bedroom. Checked the circuit breaker panel, but nothing appeared wrong.

To make an already long story shorter, it seems that I've developed a short circuit in GP-2, the circuit servicing the bedroom and the outlet for the engine block heater. The problem appears to be between the circuit breaker panel and the first outlet on the circuit.

Does anybody have knowledge as to where the wires are routed from the breaker panel to the outlet beside the bed (passenger side)? As the wire leaves the breaker panel, it seems to head along the floor, toward the front. Looking at the wire that goes to the outlet, it seems that it may come down from the ceiling. Also, are these wires secured to structural members, or are they simply laying there?

I can run the coach with the GP-2 circuit breaker shut off, but I want to fix it right. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dale
Just a idea
Can you eliminate the wire in question? Make a new run (14 -2 Romex or similar) You’d be doing it via a different route.. I’ve made runs through ceiling a/c vents.. definitely will challenge your creativity. Not unusual for factory wiring to have screws or staples through the. There is also available code approved conduit to cover the wire run on the inside surface of a wall. I’ll assume you’ve pulled the factory outlets and checked the connections since that could also be a problem

xzostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
mrk

I've been out of town for a few days and I apologize for not updating this thread. Here's the latest:

We had removed the shelf that was above the circuit panel to trace wires. There was a large mouse nest on top of the wires, and after removing it, we didn't find any wire damage caused by the mice. We did, however, find two wires, one labeled "GP1" and the other "GP2". It seems GP1 was actually connected to the breaker labeled GP2 and GP2 was connected to GP1.

This meant that the faulty circuit was actually the GP1 circuit, which goes to the refrigerator, front passenger outlet and TV outlet. We removed the exterior panel to access the rear of the fridge and found the problem. It seems that a heating strip, probably for the water line to the ice maker (water line was removed by a previous owner many years ago) came in contact with the outlet, causing the insulation on the wires to burn. Perhaps some bumpy roads caused that heat strip to bounce around. I had no idea it was plugged it or that it was hot, but that was the source of the heat that created the problem.

We were able to cut back the wires a little and replaced the outlet with a new box, outlet, and cover plate which we mounted to the side wall rather than the floor.

Everything is alright now, and GP1 and GP2 are now properly labeled. All's well that ends well!
Old 05-13-2019, 01:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
I've been out of town for a few days and I apologize for not updating this thread. Here's the latest:

We had removed the shelf that was above the circuit panel to trace wires. There was a large mouse nest on top of the wires, and after removing it, we didn't find any wire damage caused by the mice. We did, however, find two wires, one labeled "GP1" and the other "GP2". It seems GP1 was actually connected to the breaker labeled GP2 and GP2 was connected to GP1.

This meant that the faulty circuit was actually the GP1 circuit, which goes to the refrigerator, front passenger outlet and TV outlet. We removed the exterior panel to access the rear of the fridge and found the problem. It seems that a heating strip, probably for the water line to the ice maker (water line was removed by a previous owner many years ago) came in contact with the outlet, causing the insulation on the wires to burn. Perhaps some bumpy roads caused that heat strip to bounce around. I had no idea it was plugged it or that it was hot, but that was the source of the heat that created the problem.

We were able to cut back the wires a little and replaced the outlet with a new box, outlet, and cover plate which we mounted to the side wall rather than the floor.

Everything is alright now, and GP1 and GP2 are now properly labeled. All's well that ends well!

Excellent!! Amazing how many problems we run into that were manufacturing problems
xzostd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace