Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tradewinds Generac run problems......

Generac run problems
My series NP-80D, Model 9344-1, diesel Generac will start but will not continue to run when I release the pre-heat button. If I press the pre-heat button, before it completely stops, it continues to run......and will run as long as I press the preheat button. What is the likely cause for this? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think that I was told that the preheat button is also the fuel pump button and that you need to hold the button for between 15 to 30 seconds when starting. I have also had that problem and held the button for as much as a minute. On the other hand, it's possible that there is something wrong with either the switch or the fuel pump.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel pump stops running.....

I have verified that the oil pressure sensor and the water temp sensor are not the problem.....they are good. And the oil is on "full". So, here is what I now see......pressing the pre-heat button turns on the glow plugs and the fuel pump (makes a putting sound) and then I press the Start switch and the engine starts and will run as long as I continue to hold the pre-heat button on.......when the pre-heat button is released, the engine stops because the fuel pump stops running. Something is supposed to keep the fuel pump running, even after releasing the pre-heat button, but doesn't. I have a wiring diagram and an electrical schematic, but haven't figured it out yet.

Any Generac Techs out there? Frustrating! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 07-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hooray, Hooray......problem found

After days and days of searching, I found a FREE, downloadable, SERVICE Manual for my specific model of Generac Diesel Generator......it has wiring diagrams, schematics and troubleshooting guides, even step-by-step testing procedures, 152 pages in all.....great! I followed the directions for my version of Control Board (there are 3 versions) and determined that I had a bad Control Board......I learned a lot about the operation of this Generator. I think all Generac models are similar. Many electrical components and parts are the same.....only the engines are different. A new Board is on order, $288.00. I will post the results when I get it installed. Fingers crossed! Rook

Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good find Rook.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, after discovering a place that does board repair on Generac, and other Mfg's, for a flat rate of $125.....I cancelled my order for a new Control Board and sent my Board to them. Two phone conversations with their Generac Control Board Tech convinced me. Stay tuned for the results. Rook

Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, got my Control Board back and installed it, all 24 wires! BTW, if you EVER do this, make sure you label the wires and tape the ID with durable sticky tape. Uh, hmmm.....ask me why I say this! Good news, my diesel starts and continues to run. ....and the alternator side seems to be good as well. I had to adjust the voltage regulator a bit to get the 124VAC factory recommended. Next test....will the transfer switch switch over to the Generator?! Tomorrow, we will know! Rook

Old 08-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drats......%$#@&*^%, went out to start my Generator to test my Power Transfer Switch to see if it transferred to the Genny and "to my disbelief" The genny will not run....it starts, but will not continue to run when I release the start button....,UNBELIEVABLE! Same problem as before! UGH! Hard to believe @#$%^&*...... ROOK

Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shock Recovery......

OK, after mumbling, grumbling and sulking overnight, my disbelief has faded a bit and REALITY has set in. One observation out of all of this is, my 3 cly diesel engine is not a smooth running motor.....it vibrates a lot.....I assume it is typical for a 3 cly diesel. Realizing that, Generac mounted the big Control Box on 4 rubber feet right on top of the Alternator, to help reduce the "shock" to the components in the box. However, it stills shakes a lot, amplified by the rubber feet it is mounted on. Why did I say all of this? I am suspicious that I may have an intermittent short to the grounded box where the wires from the Alternator come through the bottom of the control box.......that will be my first check..... ROOK (the pending Generac expert)

Old 08-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Persistance wins again......

Hooray, Hooray....success at last. I'm dripping with sweat as I write this..... I opened the Control Box and checked and wiggled every connection....also looked for a short in wires passing through the panel side walls and bottom. Nothing found. Started the Genny....ran normal....Hooray! I checked the no-load voltages....present and normal....Hooray! I then disconnected the shore power and put the Ginny "on-line", waited 30 seconds, and Wallah! Power to the Coach! Ran both AC's one at a time, and then both, with no noticeable groaning from the Genny. Checked the power frequency under no Load and adjusted the Governor for 62 hertz. then put the Genny under full load, Both Ac's, and the frequency was 59.8 hertz.......perfect! Left everything open and accessible and all tools out and I will start it every day for the next several days just to build confidence that it is FIXED! Now it's time for a cool adult beverage......Cheers. Rook

Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Rook for your post. I too have had a similar experience with my Generac, but have not yet investigated. This info will be very helpful.

Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote