Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tradewinds Power Transfer Switch......

Power Transfer Switch will not switch......
With my Generator running and the Generator on-line, the 35-amp dual circuit breakers in the "on" position, and no shore power connected, the Power Transfer Switch will not switch to the "generator" power source. What is the likely cause of this? It worked fine 6 months ago, also works on shore power. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2. when I have the gennie running and switch on the A/C,the A/c just goes rumph and shuts down. I just got the gennie starter repaired as it wasn't wanting to start. That little baby was pulling 300 amps. It is possible that it is the transfer switch.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Hi Rook

Mine did the same thing a year or so ago. The Transfer switch defaults to Shore Power so the relays aren't picking up. Take the cover off the switch and check for loose wires to the delay unit. It's the one on top. You can also check the voltage to it. It should be 115 VAC from the Genny. If your getting output from the time delay to the relays again 115VAC then rap the relays with a "NON CONDICTIVE" screwdriver handle. Be careful in there that's what the Navy called the "Deadly Shipmate" Sometimes over time the relays build up residual magnetism that can't be overcome by the coil. Rapping them with a screwdriver disturbs the domains and gets them working again. I learned this working on Pinball Machines loaded with relays and solenoids. The "OLD" Guy who had done it for years showed me.
You can also check for proper movement of the relays "WITH ALL POWER OFF" by pushing on them. Inside the box is a drawing showing the wiring and the position of the modules.

"BE CAREFUL" and good luck.

Dick
Old 08-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
BUMP

Hey Rook what happened?

Dick
Old 08-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Dick.......I'm happy to report that the "Deadly Shipmate" didn't get me. Actually I may have had two separate problems... The Genny and the Power Transfer switch. I have solved the Genny Problem. See this thread..... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/trad...ms-254788.html. Tomorrow I test the Transfer Switch and if that works I will test the Frequency of the Genny with my cheap new digital Frequency Meter and set the engine governor to get 62 hertz. Slow, but steady progress hindered by the heat and HUMIDITY. I have learned a LOT about Generac Diesel Generators, the associated electronics and the Alternator. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drats......%$#@&*^%, went out to start my Generator to test my Power Transfer Switch to see if it transferred to the Genny and "to my disbelief" The genny will not run....it starts, but will not continue to run when I release the start button....,UNBELIEVABLE! Same problem as before! UGH! Hard to believe @#$%^&*...... ROOK

Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, after mumbling, grumbling and sulking overnight, my disbelief has faded a bit and REALITY has set in. One observation out of all of this is, my 3 cly diesel engine is not a smooth running motor.....it vibrates a lot.....I assume it is typical for a 3 cly diesel. Realizing that, Generac mounted the big Control Box on 4 rubber feet right on top of the Alternator, to help reduce the "shock" to the components in the box. However, it stills shakes a lot, amplified by the rubber feet it is mounted on. Why did I say all of this? I am now suspicious that I may have an intermittent short to the grounded box where the wires from the Alternator come through the bottom of the control box.......that will be my first check..... ROOK (the pending Generac expert)

Old 08-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Good luck Rook

It's hard to remember you came to drain the swamp when you're up to your butt in Alligators. By the time you get the genny settled keep in mind you're really working on the switch.

Dick
Old 08-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ha, yes....true,true,true. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Genny was/is at fault all along. If the Genny's not sending power to the transfer switch, then the switch will not operate. The Grimlins are just trying to confuse me....and it's working! But, I am focused on solving one thing at a time.....and the Genny is first on the list. The predatory HEAT and HUMIDITY here is not helping me any. Rook

Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Persistance wins again......

Hooray, Hooray....success at last. I'm dripping with sweat as I write this..... I opened the Control Box and checked and wiggled every connection....also looked for a short in wires passing through the panel side walls and bottom. Nothing found. Started the Genny....ran normal....Hooray! I checked the no-load voltages....present and normal....Hooray! I then disconnected the shore power and put the Ginny "on-line", waited 30 seconds, and Wallah! Power to the Coach! Ran both AC's one at a time, and then both, with no noticeable groaning from the Genny. Checked the power frequency under no Load and adjusted the Governor for 62 hertz. then put the Genny under full load, Both Ac's, and the frequency was 59.8 hertz.......perfect! Left everything open and accessible and all tools out and I will start it every day for the next several days just to build confidence that it is FIXED! Now it's time for a cool adult beverage......Cheers. Rook

Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
WTG Rook. Let's hope this is the end of this drama. I gotta admire the way you are sticking with it...."Never Give UP, Never Surrender".
Dick
Old 08-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been watching this with interest since the guy that just finished replacing my A/C compressor, checked mine as it also wasn't putting out any AC from the genie. He told me to take it to Cummins NW because it was probably the board and they'd be able to take care of it. However, the guy at the Olympia shop said to take it to a Square D shop as they don't work on those.
Supposedly it's covered under my Cornerstone warranty. The A/C compressor wasn't tho. Ouch...
Old 08-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bigdog.....if your Genny is not covered under warranty and you decide to tackle your "no voltage" problem yourself, I can provide you with some useful info. Rook

Old 08-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How hard is it to replace the control board in these things? I took the front off and you can do some things from there, but it seems as if you have to pull the whole thing out for more than servicing and I'm not about to do that at my age. So says he that just unloaded two yards of pea gravel underneath the new swing set and separate slide fort.

Tags
power, transfer switch