Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Tradewinds Residential Replacement??

Looking for recommendations on what residential fridge any of you went with to replace the Dometic or Norcold in your MH. I had the Dometic NDR1292, side by side. Under the fridge is the front furnace and also the drain (plastic) pipe for the kitchen sinks. What residential fridge did you go with and if you needed to increase the height for it how did you do it with the furnace and drain pipe underneath?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
fridge replacment

So I see you bent the rod on the door replacing the fridge. So what did you finally go with and how did it fit
skyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I'm still looking for one that will maintain the warranty if mounted in a RV. The service shop that did the work are the ones who bent the rod. They will replace it as soon as I can find the number and pressure of it.
I had found a nice Magic Chef fridge at Home Depot and asked if it would be okay to put in a MH, salesman said yes. I even bought the 5 year extended warranty. Well after getting the old Dometic out and the shop putting the Magic Chef in when I got home I removed all the tape and clear wrap I found the owners manual and decided to read it. In the Installation Section it said "Not to be installed in RV" also said not to be used with an inverter. Lucky for me Home Depot took it back and refunded all monies. Still looking. But out $822. for the removal and installation cost.

I thought of going to Indiana to J.C. Refrigeration to have them install an Amish built cooling unit but I've read where sometimes those just don't last. In fact the place where I had the work done will not install an Amish cooling unit. They did one a few months ago and the RV ended up being destroyed by a fire. Dometic quit making the cooling unit for the NDR1292 last year. This was the second Unit for the MH.

Now I've got this big hole in the wall next to the stove and am still looking to fill it. Limited to no more then 60" in height, 32 3/4 width and the depth is 24", but if a fridge I can find would fit the depth a little more it might work if once installed you can open the door and not hit the wall across from it. This means a fridge with a max of 49" with door open.

So far the fridge's I've found that will fit are only 23--25 inches in width. What I also find is now I know to read the installation manuals that most that will fit have temperature restrictions. Not to be used where temps are below 50 f or above 90-100 f.
I have found one that may work even though it has the temp notices. On reading reviews and questions I saw where it has/is being used in RV's. I sent a message to the Mfr asking if they will honor the warranty if installed in a RV. No answer yet. It's a Haier 9.8 cf.
In looking at new MH I've found that the residential fridges installed are Whirlpool, Samsung, and Frigeradare. But the height is more then I can use without doing some mods on the sink drain pipe that runs between the fridge mount board and the front furnace.

Sorry for such a long post, but perhaps someone who reads this may come up with an idea.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #4

I put a Whirlpool in my Tradewinds 375 last year. It's a 17 cu ft model. I bought it at Lowe's, the delivered, installed it and took the old fridge.

Rob
Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
I put a Whirlpool in my Tradewinds 375 last year. It's a 17 cu ft model. I bought it at Lowe's, the delivered, installed it and took the old fridge.

Rob
Thanks Rob for the response. What model is it and did you have to reroute the sink drain pipe or remove the front furnace?
Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #6

Our fridge is a model WRT518SZFM. I built a stand over the heater so the fridge sat above it. No, I didn't have to move any plumbing by doing this. If I had to do it again, I'd do the stand in metal (instead of wood) and put a piece of 1/2 foam board insulation between the fridge and the heater.

I hope this helps.

Rob
Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I'm going with the Haier 9.8cf. The mfg emailed me back and said it will be fine in my mh and it will be covered by warranty. Going to order tomorrow and will do my own install. It will fit through my door with the fridge doors off.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a whirlpool 10.9 qf top freezer and ice maker from home depot for my o5 dolphin. It was a fairly easy install and I had 7 inches on the side left to build a pantry. My unit had a 1200 Norcold.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Well I got the Haier 9.8 fridge from Lowes on Friday around noon. They actually put it in the MH, but couldn't get it in the area it needed to be with the doors on. I took the doors off and Sat Morning my neighbors came over and lifted it in place. I put the doors on and waited till about 4pm to plug it in before locking it in place. As of Sunday night it still hadn't cooled down.

Why me all the time, guess I'll call Lowe's and ask them to come get it and return my money.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #10

Plugged into the correct outlet ?

Does the light come on when you open the door ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Lights are on and it's plugged into an outlet in the MH. Currently I have it plugged into the house and still not cooling down. Guess I'll talk with Lowe's in the morning.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I bought a whirlpool 10.9 qf top freezer and ice maker from home depot for my o5 dolphin. It was a fairly easy install and I had 7 inches on the side left to build a pantry. My unit had a 1200 Norcold.

Did you have a modified sin wave inverter? If so, does it work ok?
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Lowe's is bringing me a new fridge Monday, I will plug this one in the next day on the floor of the motorhome before I install it in the cubby hole. If this don't work I may go hunting down a Dometic from a wrecked mh somewhere.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #14

Plug it in to the house first to make sure it works.

Do you have a Pure Sine Wave inverter ? Some electronics burn out on MSW power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, wind