Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
tradewinds updates

Here are some pics of the new tiles I put on the kitcken backsplash and in the bathroom, it was a fun project, got a lot of great info and ideas from everyone on here who have done these upgrades, they sure made a difference to the overall look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	19822

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	19823

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	19824

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	19825

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Wow nice job, really like the bathroom. We did ours last year. Be careful reading about other peoples upgrades on this website, it will cause you to start all kinds of new projects. LOL

Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That Looks great, I am going to do mine next. I have never tiled before so did you just remove the mirrored back splash and install the tile directly to the wall? What type of adhesive did you use? We have found some tile at HD on a mat and are interested in getting started. May have to wait a little while because just discovered my tires are original equipment made in 1999. When I purchased the MH 2 yrs ago it had 15 K miles and the tread was great so I thought they were new. Only after reading this forum discovered you need to check when made. My tire guy set me up with a set of 6 Durotrac ST 990 245 70 R19.5 for $1900. When he installed them yesterday discovered a rear pinion seal leaking but at least that fix is only 1hr labor plus parts at the local truck shop. I think I got off topic with my rambling sorry.Any way love the tire
jclarkfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Hi Jclarckfork, what I did was tape the mirror completely with duct tape to prevent the glass shards from falling everywhere, then I used a 10 inch drywall knife and worked the glass from one end pulling outward carefully while scraping the adhesive off the wall from behind(the glass will break but the tape holds it in one chunk) I found the adhesive fairly sticky and there was also 3 strips of two sided tape holding it on... the scraper got most of it off though.I went a step further and removed the paper from the luan board to get better adhesion to the wall, only because the paper was quite torn after the mirror came off. I used pre mixed acrylic wall adhesive and glass mosaic tiles from home depot, and finnished with unsanded grout in kitchen, the bathroom is tumbled travertine with same grout. The berrys as well as vegas dan and others have done this as well, they have threads such as "tradewinds renovations" you can also search "tile backsplash" and find examples as well. The whole project including the bathroom tiles cost $160.00. Good luck with your project... and your tires! P.S. post more pics when u are done!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awesome Job! I may have to include that in my current rebuild!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I really like the bathroom look. We did the kitchen backsplash, but now you have given me the itch to do the bath like yours.

Did you use thinset or the double sided stickey stuff?

Dick
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Hi Dick, I used a premix wall thin set from home Depot it is very sticky and worked well for the wall application I think it was acrylic based. The tile was backed and came in single rows, it was a bit pricey at $12.99ea but I only needed 4 pcs.