Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trading out TVs

I've got an '01 7390 LTC and want to change out the tvs in both the front and back for several reasons,one of them being the weight of the stock Samsungs,especially after reading about that wreck in Utah,where the front overhead fell on the passenger and killed him.
I have a 22" flatscreen that JUST fits in the front overhead and I know that I'll have to add some woodwork,but how have people fastened them in? I'll be putting some kind of foam or rubber around the hole to soften any shock,but what kind of mounting should I use..I'm also going to be replacing the bedroom one with a 19" flat also.
Those old Samsungs weigh almost 50#..

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Here are some pictures of the TV's I installed in my 99 Tradewinds. I used 1/2" plywood in the back drilled to use the VESA mountings of the TV's. So far it's worked out well. Since I have a front door the angled panel to the right of the front TV gives good access for installing the VESA screws.

The bedroom TV took some creative woodworking. A stop strip and an angled vertical strip secure it on the left. A cleat and some screws secure it on the right. I had to fab an angled frame to tilt the TV down because the view angle made it wash out while lying in bed. Check the profile in the pictures. Westinghouse decided a curved edge looked real good so I had to match the curve in the frame.

http://cid-ae67fff392766057.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/RV%20Mods/TV%20Upgrades

I'll try to get a couple pictures of the mounting made of plywood and post them.
Dick

Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I took some pictures and annotated them to show the frame construction.

Frame Details - Windows Live

This makes a nice clean install, but you cannot change the way the TV points, we haven't had a problem with that but a lot of folks on this board have installed moveable mounts with a securing system for use while driving.

Dick
Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Here's the one I used and the price was great at less then 39.00.

SuperFlush VESA Mount

I attached 1 1/2" plywood (2 3/4" pieces) to the inside of the cabinet and mounted the TV mount to it. If you go with this one make sure you allow for clearance above to allow you to slide the TV into the other half of the mount. Then once mounted you have three little screws that hold the mounted TV to the other half of the mount. Mine has been on since last October and no problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	5727

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	5728
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Here is a mount I'm thinking about. If it works like I think it would I could mount a 32" TV and swing it to the left to watch and for traveling. This would keep it out of the way for exit and entry into the MH. Having the double swing arm you could still access the cabinet above the driver that has the TV boxes. Haven't ordered it as I really want to see it in person before I buy it.

RV TV Wall Mounts, flat screen, lcd, double tv mounts
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dick,it would appear that you trimmed out the front of the cabinet and then made your own front frame to fasten too.Is this correct? I also can't seem to be able to get to the back of the fabric covered panel on the right side of the cabinet. There is also a panel inside the cabinet between the fabric one and the tv side.
I appreciate both of your responses a lot..
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
If your overhead is like mine you have a fabric covered panel to the right of the TV, in my first pic it is off and in the second pic it is back on. All thats holding it is long staples or nails. Just grab the bottom and slowly pull out on it. Mine now has commercial strength velcro holding it in place. This will give you access to the side of the TV cabinet
Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I was able to fit a 32" LCD in place of my 27" bubble tube. It has maybe 1/2 clearance to the equipment compartment doors on each side. I bolted a 3/4" piece of plywood to the steel TV support frame and used an RV angled TV mount to attach the TV. The angle matches the angle of the front cabinets. I also trimmed out the ceiling with a piece of maple to match my cabinets. At only 18 lbs, it is a significant improvement over the 75 pounder I pulled out.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Dog

After removing the original TV I tossed the frame that was on the front of the cabinet. The new frame installs like the side cupboard doors or at least on the same surface. The angled fabric covered panel just to the right of the TV is Velcroed in so all I had to do was pull it out for access behind the TV. I installed the TV last to make the screws easier to install on the inside by reaching through the frame. The four VESA screws or in my case the two bolts that attach the TV to the frame are the ones with the most difficult access.

Joe has a 2001 7390 so his right panel removal info is probably better than mine.

Dick
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #10

A 22" TV is probably not too heavy. I used a simple 2-part VESA mount where one part is screwed into a solid wall point and the other part is screwed into the screw holes in the back of the TV. Then the TV is simply put against the wall mount and slides down to lock the two mount parts together.
My concern is where the screws go into the TV. They typically have metal nut bushings molded into the plastic TV back. My TV back flexes a bit, and I was concerned about road shocks and the strength of those bushing points, so I rigged my TV up where the bottom rests on a foam strip on the bottom of the stock TV cabinet.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I just checked Campingworld to see what they offer in TV mounts and was surprised that they have the same one I bought on line for half the price.
check it out,

TV Fixed Mount - Item - Camping World
Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
2004 Dolphin TV Install - Anyone mounted a 37" ?

The new LED TVs are so slim they could be mounted in front of the cabinet - they typically measure 35 1/2" wide. Can someone measure the space between the left and right cupboard doors for me? I would like to mount the tv and be able to open the doors to the left and right of it. I am about to purchase an 04 Dolphin, so cant measure at this time. Thanks.
keninvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
keninvic,

I have a 2005 Sea Breeze LX, but I'm pretty sure the TV areas were made to about the same specs.

The opening for the TV is 32" with 1" on either side from the frame to the cabinet doors. A total of 34", but you would have to go a hair smaller so the doors won't rub the TV.
coulter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Well a 37" is not an option then - 32" LCD is max. unless you start moving cupboard doors around.
Thanks.

I have a 2005 Sea Breeze LX, but I'm pretty sure the TV areas were made to about the same specs.

The opening for the TV is 32" with 1" on either side from the frame to the cabinet doors. A total of 34", but you would have to go a hair smaller so the doors won't rub the TV.[/QUOTE]

keninvic is offline   Reply With Quote