RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:02 AM   #1

Trip to the West

We own a 2000 SeaBreeze 1340, pulling a toad. This will be our second trip out west. We live in Virginia. Our question is.....part of our trip will take us from San Francisco CA up the coast on 101. We want to see the great Redwoods!!! But need to know the best route to take to see Crater Lake! I see that some routes are steep. Open for all good suggestions and help!

Thanks BoPeg

BoPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe using 97 through Klamath Falls would be best. Going into Oregon on 5 is quite a pull and then you still need to cross the Cascades.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
A couple of years ago, we took an enjoyable trip, to the West, from Florida. We went North to Upper Michigan and took Hwy #2, all across the top of the USA, to Montana and to the Glacier National Park. Of course, we didn't start, until mid April, because of the cold and snowy conditions.

We couldn't cross the park, as it was closed, due to snow, in June. We wanted to go up, into Calvary, Canada and then, over to Washington State and then take I-5, down into California, to see the redwoods, etc. However, my DW got sick, so we headed back home.

The reason I mention this trip, is that we didn't encounter any uncomfortable mountain climbs, until we got to Glacier Park. We would have, had we gone over the park, to the West. You might think about that way, if you haven't been to Montana or Washington. Great trip!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:38 AM   #4

trip out west

Not sure yet what we will do! All help is greatly appreciated! We won't be leaving Virginia until middle of June so any suggestions we will consider! Thanks so much for your help!! IRV2 is great!!!!!! appreciated.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:48 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Take 101 up the coast then take 199 to I 5 then I 5 down to hwy 140 then to 97 then north
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
Red face

I did this trip a couple of years ago. From 101 north of Crescent City, CA take 199 over to Grants Pass, OR. 199 isn't bad, I think it was an easier drive than parts of 101. The redwoods and the scenery are beautiful on 101, but there are a lot of curves and 2 lane roadways in sections of the trip.
From Grants Pass you get on I-5 South for a couple of miles than take 234 at Gold Hill to 62. 62 goes to the Southern entrance to Crater Lake.
Good luck and enjoy.
2013 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #7

Thanks!! This is what we have been looking at thru Good Sams Club Road Trips. But did not know how the roads would be. Interstates are always a good route but others you don't know without asking. Thanks so much for the info. Very Helpful!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Out West

Tradewind98 gave you a good route with the shortest distance to travel between destinations. His description of secondary roads is also accurate, some of them are very crooked and can be narrow at times. You may find the 234 and 62 hiways a bit that way. The 199 leg between Cresent City and Grants Pass is really a beautiful drive.

If you're into lakes, Diamond Lake just north of Crater Lake is beautiful. There is a lodge there with boat rental and good fishing for trout. Once you leave the area, unless you're headed back south, you'll go north on 97 into Bend, which is the big recreation area for central Oregon.

If you're going to travel Oregon their aren't many passes that are steep (in my opinion). One's to avoid if you can:
Hiway 58 north into Oakridge / Eugene is 6%-7% downhill. You can stay on 97 north and go by Mt. Hood. It has a steep, but very short downhill section.
Hiways 126/242 from central Oregon to Eugene - Absolutely no, very crooked and narrow.
Hiway 84 east from Pendleton to La Grande is about 6%-7% but is the main east-west route and you pretty much have to take it.

In the middle of the summer you shouldn't have to be concerned with any snow or ice on the mountain passes.

Have fun.

Oregon native
Old 02-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
I believe using 97 through Klamath Falls would be best. Going into Oregon on 5 is quite a pull and then you still need to cross the Cascades.
The trucks do slow down on I-5 hills but they're no worse than other sections of interstate highways.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will only add to stay off of CA highway 36 from the coast towards Hayfork. In some places the road is only one lane wide. I worked in the area that 36 runs through for a year, and made at least one run from Hayfork to Fortuna each month, but sometimes more often. Just avoid it unless it is some kind of emergency and the route is the only one available.