Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Tropi-Cal Low Point Water Drains

Hello All,

Getting ready to winterize and have a few questions.

I've read that most motorhomes have low point drains to drain water from the system.

On my MH, I have found the drain for the fresh water tank (it's under the bed).
About 6" from this drain there is another valve (just below the pump) that I am assuming is the low point drain for this model (there is only one).

National also states that you can use the outside shower as a low point drain.
I have read however that most units have drains for both the cold and hot water lines but so far, I've only found this one drain valve.

My question therefore is how do I go about draining the hot water lines?
Will they both drain from this one valve if the hot water heater is set to by pass?

I plan to use rv antifreeze to winterize my MH and plan on getting it into the system by using the inlet side of the pump with a hose directly into the antifreeze jug. I prefer not to add antifreeze to the fresh water tank.

By doing this however, the lines between the pump and the fresh water tank along with my city water inlet and tank fill line will not get any antifreeze. Any ideas on how to get the antifreeze into these lines?

Also, is there any way to go about winterizing the black water flush system or is it even necessary?
Seems to me due to the design of these black water flush systems, water can be trapped and could therefore freeze. What about just using compressed air to blow out the black water flush and fresh water fill line. I certainly don't want to damage either my black water or fresh water tank by using compressed air but if I open the drain valves would this be enough to relieve pressure on the tanks?

I've winterized lots of RV's, but National seems to have a "different" way of setting up their plumbing (lots of bends, twists and check valves) so I'm just not familiar with their set up and the manual really doesn't address these points in any great detail. I also have the water system drawings but they appear to be rather generic rather than model specific.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To drain you hot water lines, open the hot side of your outside shower, open hot side of the kitchen sink as a vent. Use low air pressure 15/20 PSI to clear your black line.

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
To drain fresh water lines, open the hot and cold faucets on the outside shower, open all inside cold and hot water faucets, also, undo hot water tank drain plug.
Put hot water tank on bypass and then use low pressure air to blow out water lines - closing faucets from closest to inlet to furthest.