Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tropi dash removal

Trying to solve windshield wiper not working problem on my 07 Tropical T33/Freightliner chassis. Have tested the circuit breaker/fuse checks out OK. Trying to get to the back of the wiper control switch to check connections. Does anyone know how to get this section of the dash panel removed to access the back of the switch.

see attachment
dlajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Unable to see attachment.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
If the dash is the same as our '04 you can remove the entire panel with the rounded edge that matches the rest of the dash. There will be a handful of screws, plus it is velcro'd to the main dash around most of the perimeter. It is a little scary removing the instrument cluster the first time, as the velcro grips really well.

Our wiper switch was the same piece as in a Chevy P30 chassis Southwind we owned.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Before you tear out the dash, have you gone in through the generator access panel and checked wiper function at the wiper motor?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I have my dash apart right now. I used a narrow putty knife to release the velcro. It takes a little wiggling and several passes with the putty knife to get it loose. I also crawled under and cut several tie wraps to create some slack in pieces of the harness.
My wiper motor is accessed thru the generator panel on the nose.
Actually, open the hatch and let more light into the space. Crawl under and sit up and work on it.
You cannot access anything under the dash.
My wiper controls are in the steering wheel.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Mike must have a Smart Wheel, in which case the trouble shooting steps would be a lot different than a dash mounted switch. I retrofitted a Smart Wheel to my rig and am familiar with the standard arrangement and the Smart Wheel stuff. The SW is an order of magnitude more complex.

If dlajoie has a Smart Wheel, he should probably limit his diagnostic efforts to understanding the wiring at the wiper motor, then jumpering the leads to cause the wiper motor to run. If it runs, the problem is somewhere between the steering wheel switches and the Smart Wheel circuit board. He'll need to be comfortable examining traces and listening/feeling to see if the relays on the board are functional.

Fitting the Smart Wheel was complicated, but man-o-man is it a cool thing to have! The infinitely variable intermittent wiper function and the way you control it should net a decrease in insurance premiums here in the rainy Northwest. It is also pretty cool that the SmartWheel will turn on your lights for you if you use your wipers.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have a smart wheel the wiper is controlled through a controller for the smart wheel. When mine went south it was the clock spring died. The clock spring connects the switch to the controller.
Search smart wheel died on here and there are several posts to guide you.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thread moved

I moved the thread to class A motorhome forum on 12-30-14 . Attachment appears on that post with soloution to solve the problem.

Thanks
dlajoie is offline   Reply With Quote