RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Tropical Dometic Awnings

We have a new to us 06 Tropical and the awning does not retract in windy conditions. I wondered if anyone has an awning that does work properly and retracts when the wind kicks up. I did find the switch was in the disable position, but when I put it in the enable position it constantly beeps. I did some further troubleshooting and it looks like the wind sensor is bad. From what I have read, the sensor is a high failure item and it has to be replaced with the control box since they have to be matched. Also,when the patio awning retracts is the door awning supposed to retract too?
Don

Don and Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #2

re: Tropical Dometic Awnings

on my 2007 TropiCal, the door and patio awnings are controlled by two separate switches. If you have the remote, there is one button for each. If not, there should be two switches on the panel just inside the door.

As for the wind sensor, mine goes in with not much wind but does work automatically.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Dave. Do you know where your wind sensor is located? Ours is on the roof, but Dometic later changed the design and mounted the sensor on the awning arm. Ours has separate switches also, 2 by the entry door and the remote will open either awning individually. My question was if the wind kicks up do both awnings close ?
Thx, Don
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

no, only the large awning closes automtically. My wind sensor is on the roof and the control box is in the pass through storage locker (second behind the door on the passenger side). When we leave the MH for any length of time I close the awnings "just in case".
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my 04 Tropi Cal the control box had a set of switches so that you could change the wind speed that it closed at. I found the settings by searching on the internet. You might want to reset each switch and even pick a different wind speed to see if that helps. On ours I just disabled the wind sensor as the awning would close if the neighbors sneezed.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the additional info. The wiring diagrams suggest that both awnings are designed to close when the wind sensor determines its too windy. I have the dip switch settings but haven't tried adjusting them. When I opened up the wind sensor, one of the thermistors was fried. I'm going to try & replace the thermistors and see what happens. From what I've read, the wind sensors get too much sun & heat on the roof and don't hold up well.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Never had a problem with too much sun and heat in Oregon. In fact it is raining as I type this.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic