RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turn signal and Hazard flasher strange operation

OK, all you 12volt electrical experts.....here's one for you! I have a 98 Tradewinds, 300hp Cat, I'm the 2nd owner. The Turn signals work perfect and the Hazard flasher works perfect.....until I turn on the parking or headlights. THEN, the left green turn signal arrow comes on at a low level and remains on but also flashes brighter and the cycle slows noticably. The right hand turn arrow works normal. Also, the Hazard lights work ok but different from when the lights are off. On a Tradewinds the front parking lights and the front side marker lights flash at the same time when turning or on hazard. ....but when the lights on my coach are turned on, the left parking and left front side marker are out of sink.....not on and off at the same time! The right side is in sink. Strange! Any ideas?

Also, my headlights work different than I expected......when on "dim", the two outside lights are on, that's norml. But, when I switch to "high" beam the two inside lights come on and the two outside lights go off......is this "normal"? Bill

Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a bulb in backwards and the contacts arecausing 12v to back up inti the system with your lights on.

speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the response. Are you addressing the turn signal/Hazard issues or the headlight issue? It is not exactly clear how you can plug in a bulb backwards....can you explain?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not a bulb in backwards but a bad ground, Possible locations are the bulb socket or at the chassis. The standard 1157 type lamp often has blub/socket issues.

Detection procedure: Remove one lamp at a time from the circuit, if they are either bayonet lamps simply remove from socket, if blade type same thing Remove from socket ONE AT A TIME till the turn signal no longer glows dimly.

Then one at a time replace the other lamps

If. for example, Either tail light lights the matching turn signal dimly, Your problem is a chassis ground on the rear of the rig

If both front turn/park lamps do it.. Same thing. But the front.

If just ONE lamp does it.... Problem is the socket. Clean socket, Clean lamp base and try again.

NOTE: in the last case just removal and re-insertion may be enough to "Fix" it.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The turn signal bulbs can and have been put in backwards meaning that when installed they have been installed with the contacts not lining up or posably an 1156 type bulb being installed where and 1157 type should be. IT won't cost nothing but a little time to check. When they short the two contacts in the parking/turn signal socket to gether The 12v going to the parking light or tail light depending where its at goes back to the turn signal switch.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wa8yxm......I pulled the bulb from the left side marker and everything goes back to normal. The bulb type is a Sylvania 3157, dual element with a 4-connection base, two ground and 2 hot leads. There was about an inch of water in the light and the bottom part of the light socket was emmersed in water. This looks like one of those "vibar" sockets that is embedded in soft rubber molded around the wires and the bulb contacts....making it very difficult to examine and clean the contacts. I may have to replace the fixture. The only way to get at it seems to be cut it open and take a look.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I give up!

I give up! I removed the LF side-marker light, cleaned everything and "soldered" all connections, re-installed.....and I still have the LT arrow dimly coming on when I turn on the parking/headlights. Since everything works normal, except THAT, I will just live with it!

Anyone have a 98 Tradewinds who can respond to my "headlight" question? See post #1. Rook