Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

tv coaxial cable

i was wondering how hard it would be to pull a new coaxial tv cable from my
front overhead tv compartment to the rear of my motorhome at the rear
compartment? my present coaxial cable has a short in it or a break and i am
not getting any signal thru it.

if if attach the new coaxial cable to the old cable in the front compatment
and just try and pull it all the way thru the ceiling to the back of the
motorhome? can i do this by myself or would it be better to have a helper?

i dont know how tight this cable is but i know it goes thru the top of the
inside roof. i beleive it runs thru the inside air conditioning ducts?

i tried to pull on one end of the coaxial cable but it sure does not want to
pull very easy?

has anyone replaced your tv coaxial cable? what is best and easiest way
to get the job done? any help or recommendations are appreciated.
thanks
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

I'd be surprised if it is not clamped or going around some corners between the front and back. Either one will get you. I'd try running a fish tape from end to end. If I could do that I could pull a new wire. If it ran into something I could mark it, pull it out and the figure out where I had to open things up to get another access point.

Actually, knowing me I would probably clamp a new wire to the baseboard or ceiling trim but I am not the decorator in the family. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
mr. seaview.

On my 03 the cables in the ceiling are clamped in places between the front over head and the bedroom. However, I see at least 2 choices. 1) Run a new cable using a fishing cable to find a path. Or 2) Use the ac ducts in the ceiling.

If your ceiling lights are the recessed type, removal of them will give you access to the wiring bundles usually run on the inboard side of the front to rear steel ceiling frames. I have used this way to feed from light fixture to the next to pull wires to the rear successfully.

I have also run Cat 5 wires back to the bedroom using the AC ducts.

If your RV is like mine, the ceiling insulation is made of molded foam blocks that align to make up the duct work and also have many transverse grooves. These side to side grooves can also be used for wire runs such as from an AC duct to a measured side distance ie to get to the ceiling of a TV cabinet.

HTH
Old 02-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
My cable, on our 05 Dolphin, going the rear compartment went bad. It turned out to be a corroded connection where the cable attaches to the rear compartment cable terminal plate. It screws on a connector on the back side of the plate which can get wet when driving in the rain as it is outside the compartment. It was badly rusted. I cut off the end of the cable and replaced the connectors on the plate and cable. Check this before going to the trouble of replacing the entire cable.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cable is bundled with a whole bunch of other cables and such so no, you are not going to pull it that way.. I would just run a new line.. Depending on the RV that can be a whole lot easier than it sounds.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
This was on mine but you can check. In the cabinet over the door there was connectors on the coax that were open that were hidden behind the inner wood cover. Repairing the original is a lot better option than running a new one imho.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

thanks tom

i think i found my problem just like u said a loose cable connection at the overhead bin
behind the wooden section/ i tightened it but dont know if i am getting a signal thru
it or not? i am going to see if my house tv cable guy can check for a signal next time
i see him by my house. thanks hopefully i got a signal now? thank u
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #8

Mine has 2 cables going into the roof, 1 goes to the back of rv the other is for antenna, be sure you are trying the right cable.
Coolman3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
if your TV's can do modern digital OTA TV (ATSC) .... Try your antenna.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
wsw

Not happening

We had the same issue. I looked up all online and the coax are tied in a lot of places. I ended up just being able to put new ends on mine, and it fixed the problems.
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote