RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

TV wont come out

I have read most if not all of the threads on removing the TV from the front installation in the 2005 National RV Dolphin. I haven't seen anyone who has run into the problem I have. My tv will not come out. It appears to be pinned in the metal box at the top front. It will rock back and forth about 3-4 inches at the bottom rotating around the what appears to be the pin at the top. I have removed the front two bolts from the bottom pan and tried to tilt it down with no luck. I put the front bolts back in and took out the rear bolts and tried to tilt it back, again with no luck. I have jammed a large screwdriver between the tv and the ceiling at the top and tried to pry it down with no luck.

OK, did I miss something in the threads, is there some attachment point that I haven't learned about? Could it just be held in by friction with the metal box or maybe some excess glue somewhere? I am almost to the point of starting to cut the tv up into little pieces to get it out since I don't plan to save it anyway.

Surely I have missed something. Help. By the way, the part I was worried about, removing the wooden fascia, took about two minutes.

AvoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine had a strap attached on top of the back, like a safety strap about 1" wide, I could reach back there and feel it and cut it with a pair of wire cutters

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine their was a strap across the top of the TV.. On the side of the metal box, look near the top for a screw on each side.. Then when you drop the bottom pan you have to lift the TV and shift it back to get over a brace on the front.. Have extra muscle on hand.. let me know if you need more info..
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On national owners forum, Tv replacement, look for "Ramster's" post, and the last one is a picture that I sent in of the screws.. I also sent a private message with my email, and phone #. Good luck
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #5

Well I thought I had read most of the posts but I never saw reference to the strap across the top before. I had spotted the two screws at the top of the box but couldn't tell they were attached to anything. I had tried to get them out anyway but couldn't get enough torque on them to break them loose. I guess if I cant break them loose I can cut them or drill them out.

Thanks for the info. I am sure that is my problem. This forum is a real treasure.

Jim
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Correct, this forum is the bomb.. Thats where I learned about replacing the TV, just one week before mine shot craps. Sure easier when someone else has dune it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 05 dolphin there was no strap. I beleive your problem is in tilting the bottom plate. There are three bolts on each side of the bottom plate. You have to remove the front two bolts on each side to get it to tilt down. There is also a screw in each side at the top going into the TV.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #8

Speed Racer
I know about the bolts in the bottom pan. My problem is the tv is being held at the front top. I had looked at the two top side screws by prying the side of the metal box and the tv apart about 1/4 inch with a screwdriver. I could see the end of the screw so it did not go into the tv. The screw does connect the metal box to a piece of sheet metal which I assumed was how the box was attached to the ceiling of the coach. I could not tell if it was connected to the tv. I tried to remove the screws anyway and could not get them out, maybe because I had already removed the bolts at the bottom which locked the screws in place by holding the weight of the tv. I am going to work on getting the top screws out this afternoon and will report progress tonight.

Jim
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was a screw on each side on the top of the frame holding the TV in.

The TV is "held" to the base by friction using tabs on the frame bottom inserted into a waffle like area in the bottom of the TV.

Those tabs fit into these groves. It takes some work to get the TV up and over the tabs.
coulter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
What to do about your TV.

I have a 1997 36' Dolphin M.H. and I have had our TV out a couple of times in the past.
Once when the Direct T.V. guy came by to install some wires.
Again when I was having trouble with the T.V.
I only have a couple of screws in the front frame and a couple in the bracket that holds the T.V. in.
I think that National may of had some trouble with the TV's coming loose so they had to do what ever it was to keep them from falling out.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #11

Well, we finally got the #%&##* tv out. After getting the upper strap loose, it still would not rotate so we could lift off the bottom plate. We wound up taking out all the bolts in the bottom plate and letting it drop straight down. I do NOT recommend this method. We were able to catch it before it crushed the dash and only lost a small amount of blood in the process. There were three of us.

My replacement tv is a vizio 32 inch LED LCD which weighs very little and comparared to the old CRT consumes almost no power. The energy star sticker estimates $8 per year. On to the next step of designing and building the installation. Wish me luck.

Jim
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if you looked at my thread on my TV installation, but I gave some detail and pictures of my installation.
Front LCD TV Install in a 2005 Sea Breeze 8321LX
coulter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I the 32" LED LCD TV I used (Westinghouse) was very light weight & just nicely fit inside the original wooden frame accept a 1" space at the top. I filled this gap at the top with a piece the same type of wood the frame was made of(maple?). I laid the wooden frame face down on a carpet then laid the TV face down inside the original wooden frame, then installed pieces of wooden window casing pressed against the back side of the edges of TV cabinet's perimeter. Therefore no mounting kit , homemade or purchased, was required. It's worked perfect for a year now.
I believe all the 32" LED LCD are of similar wieght and very light . All the original metal
TV mounting frame was discarded.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AvoJim, we are waiting on pictures of the new install??? How did it go.