Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The receptacle for the TV plugs is a switch receptacle that kills the power to the TV while driving. The switch is built into the back of the receptacle and the switch probably has failed. If yours is like mine it is a four gang box. If it is plug the TV into one of the other receptacles
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wondering if the O/P has found the issue:

Some comments:
"You do not need the inverter on if you are running the Generator"
Uh, yes, I do.. The inverter must be ON, Now I can put it in "Standby/Disabled" but it must be ON no power passes if it is OFF.

"I made a double male cord"
I hope your life and liability insurance policies are paid up. VERY DANGEROUS, Do not make one of these 50/30 amp makes no difference DO NOT MAKE one of these, very dangerous, people get killed. VERY DANGEROUS.

I still think it is a circuit breaker, either on the inverter or on the inverter sub panel depending on if the "panel" is bult into the inverter.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
not that I would subscribe to such a thing but what would 30 amp verses 50 amp have to do with plugging 120V power into a dead 120v outlet?
With 50 amp you actually have 2 50 amp feeds that when added together give you 240 volts instead of 120. RV's never use 240 so the 2 feeds are always separate and would do bad things to your electronics if it happened.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
The TV plugs are definitely fed through the inverter, trip and reset any breaker on the inverter.

Also we have 2 separate plugs in the cabinet for tv and dvd are both dead? If not may be the interlock plug/circuit bad.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #33

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti16 View Post
With 50 amp you actually have 2 50 amp feeds that when added together give you 240 volts instead of 120. RV's never use 240 so the 2 feeds are always separate and would do bad things to your electronics if it happened.

make sure that you understand that a typical RV 50a shower power is only 120v -
it makes use of TWO 120v hot wires, a neutral, and a ground wire, normally with a Double Pole 50a main breaker at the pole(two separate 50a breakers with a common 'handle', if one trips, the other does also)...

these two 50a hot wires are NEVER combined, but go SEPARATELY to your coach breaker box, where they go to SEPARATE 50a breakers. One of these handles breakers on one side of your box(L1), the other serves the others breakers(L2).L1 breakers may consist of several 15a or 20a breakers that serve outlets, water heater, water pump, air conditioner, etc. L2 breakers may consists of 15a or 20a breakers that serve other outlets, microwave, lights, engine block heater, tvs, the other a/c unit, etc.

so, a typical 50a RV shore power provides up to 100a of total power into your coach, which is why it is not just 20a more than a 30a shore power outlet, but more than triple the amount.

it might seem better if we called this 100a shore power, but the industry continues to use the 50a nonemclature... of course, if we called it 100a, there might be just as much confusion to other way

: ) enjoy
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #34

I still don't have this figured out. A mobile RV tech told me to check the output on the Inverter/Transfer switch but I have good juice at all other outlets and actually ran a carpet steam cleaner without a problem. There has to be something easy that I am missing.
tmay33611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #35

If you look at your RV 50 amp plug, it will be a 125/250 volt 50 amp plug.

Here is a clear understanding of how it all works.

Chapter 3 - 30 Amp versus 50 Amp

Most modern motorhomes come with a 50 amp service while older motorhomes came with 30 amp services, as did many of the smaller towable RVs. Over the years a lot of amenities have been added to RVs. As washer-driers, multiple air conditioners, larger refrigerators, etc are added the power requirements also increase.

30 Amp RV Service:

A 30 amp RV service is really just a glorified 120 volt single pole outlet.

50 Amp RV Service:

To facilitate the larger loads placed upon the newer RVs the 50 amp service was brought out. Whereas the 30 amp service was a 120 volt service yielding 3,600 watts of power, the 50 amp service is a 120/240 split phase service. The split phase service means you have two 120 volt 50 amp poles, which gives you a total of up to 12,000 watts. So the perceived increase from 30 to 50 doesn't sound like very much but the real increase from 3,600 to 12,000 puts it into a more realistic perspective. Keep in mind that this assumes that you can utilize both of the two 50 amp poles effectively by balancing your load. If all of your loads are on one side of the panel you'll only be using one 50 amp pole, which means that you can only get 6,000 watts. So, it is important to split your loads and balance them between both phases on the breaker panel in order to get maximum capacity.

Very rarely will an RV have any 240 volt loads. Some RVs may have 240 volt stackable clothes driers or an electric heating element of some sort but it's rare. Still, the ability to split the load among two poles means that each pole can handle 50 amps. If all of the circuits were placed on a single phase, as in the 30 amp service, then you would need a 100 amp service to provide that same amount of power. That would require some massive wiring to the pedestal and also some very fat and heavy power cords to the RV. 50 amp lets you get by with a smaller #6 gauge wire. But what happens when you don't have a 50 amp service available?

There have been a lot of discussions about what 50 amp service really is. I hope that these pages clear up some of the confusion.

On shore power 50 amp service is 120/240 volt power. This means that you can access 120 volts or 240 volts, but the key is you have 12,000 watts of power.

The minute somebody tells you that 50 amp service is a 30 and 20 breaker you can be sure that they don't know what the heck they're talkin about.

When somebody tries to convince you that the RV parks only wire up one leg, that's even worse. If they did that only 1/2 of a 50 amp coach would work.

When some guy tries to convince you that the RV mfrs. only use 1 leg of the 50 amp, he's wrong. I have contacted Winnebago, Monaco, Fleetwood and Newmar. All use both legs of the 50 amp service. I've talk
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmay33611 View Post
I still don't have this figured out. A mobile RV tech told me to check the output on the Inverter/Transfer switch but I have good juice at all other outlets and actually ran a carpet steam cleaner without a problem. There has to be something easy that I am missing.
tmay33611
Are you sure that you don't have a tripped GFCI receptacle down stream of the TV receptacles?
Is there a tripped curcuit breaker on your inverter?
On some coaches, (and on some inverters), those are hard to find.. but easy to reset.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
tmay33611
Are you sure that you don't have a tripped GFCI receptacle down stream of the TV receptacles?
Is there a tripped curcuit breaker on your inverter?
On some coaches, (and on some inverters), those are hard to find.. but easy to reset.
I have reset all GFCI's that I can find. Galley, Lav, sink, etc. and tested all other outlets for juice. Unless there is another GFCI somewhere else on the coach.

There are 2 breakers on the front of the inverter that I have reset and nothing.

Does the juice go anywhere else in between the inverter and the outlets?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #38

Just for fun, you may want to look in your basement for a GFI. In our previous Motorhome, it was not in a handy location.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
Just for fun, you may want to look in your basement for a GFI. In our previous Motorhome, it was not in a handy location.
I have checked everywhere... I did find outlets that I didn't know were in here. LOL. There is one exterior outlet and it is not a GFCI. I'm about to lose my mind out here sweating my butt off.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmay33611 View Post
I have checked everywhere... I did find outlets that I didn't know were in here. LOL. There is one exterior outlet and it is not a GFCI. I'm about to lose my mind out here sweating my butt off.
Unless your RV is older than you are that exterior outles IS GFCI protected, likely the GFCI in the bathroom.

I have not seen any mention (other than mine) of circuit breakers on the inverter.... Again, the inverter has either one or two outputs,. If one, like mine, it goes to a 2nd breaker panel.. Mine is BEHIND the main breaker panel (this is typical of after market installs) in a cabinet. Easily accessed.

Factory installs there are usually two breakers ON the inverter itself, they may be up front and easily seen as in the story I told (And when you find them like that passing out in shock is an option) the are more likely around back where you can't see them.. Likely the push button (POST) type you press. hard to reset.

Option 2 is a burned connection, loose wire nut (Seen that a few times)

In all cases I suspect the inverter breakers and connection panel.. Logic: BOTH Tv's down.. about the only thing that will kill 'em all if you have an inverter.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Unless your RV is older than you are that exterior outles IS GFCI protected, likely the GFCI in the bathroom.

I have not seen any mention (other than mine) of circuit breakers on the inverter.... Again, the inverter has either one or two outputs,. If one, like mine, it goes to a 2nd breaker panel.. Mine is BEHIND the main breaker panel (this is typical of after market installs) in a cabinet. Easily accessed.

Factory installs there are usually two breakers ON the inverter itself, they may be up front and easily seen as in the story I told (And when you find them like that passing out in shock is an option) the are more likely around back where you can't see them.. Likely the push button (POST) type you press. hard to reset.

Option 2 is a burned connection, loose wire nut (Seen that a few times)

In all cases I suspect the inverter breakers and connection panel.. Logic: BOTH Tv's down.. about the only thing that will kill 'em all if you have an inverter.

The inverter does have 2 breakers on the front. Both looked good but I did cycle them just in case. That was one of the first things I did.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #42

I found this Schematic on this forum but it was only 3 pages of information. I have been looking all over the web for pages 5 and 6.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schematic.pdf (207.6 KB, 60 views)